North American Rockwell OV-10A Bronco

Hot on the heels of my last Kitty Hawk build comes this OV-10 Bronco, built as a USAFE FAC aircraft based in Germany in the 80s.

tn_IMG_20191002_110524

It's a strange kit in keeping with Kitty Hawk's reputation for over-complexity but builds up very nicely given the appropriate application of effort, determination and swearing! I painted it with MRP paints for the greens and Xtracrylix for the grey. Decals weer from the kit and went on well with a bit of MicroSol. The base is one of those ubiquitous examples from Coastal Kits.

tn_IMG_20191002_110342

I had a go at detailing the cockpit with various thicknesses of enamelled wire but the less seen of that the better!

tn_IMG_20190930_121308 tn_IMG_20190930_121210 tn_IMG_20191002_110404 tn_IMG_20191002_110614 tn_IMG_20190930_121247

All I'll say is if I ever built this again, I'd do the Vietnam USAF FAC colours of all-over grey, this camouflage was an absolute beggar to paint!

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 50

55 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

I love this aircraft, one of my favorites. You've done it justice with an exceptional build and finish-well done and thanks for sharing.

Well Robert, that's great to hear, very glad you liked it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Lancaster said:

That's really well done! I like the camouflage scheme, as well as the overall finish! :) 

47 minutes ago, James G said:

Cracking build Al!

39 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Well done. Looks like an excellent model. Finish looks spot on. 

Thank you all, the paintjob feels worth the effort after that!

Alan

Thats absolutely superb Al, one of my fave light aircraft and in Euro One came... even better. I've been sorely tempted by this kit in the past, this is further temptation!!

Nice one,

Eng

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, eng said:

Thats absolutely superb Al, one of my fave light aircraft and in Euro One came... even better. I've been sorely tempted by this kit in the past, this is further temptation!!

Nice one,

Eng

Thank you Grae, really glad you liked it 👍

On 10/4/2019 at 8:50 PM, Andy Dyck said:

Very cool model. Love it! Is it a good and easy kit?

cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy. It's not a straightforward build but as long as you think carefully about the build progression and depart from the instructions when required it does fit together pretty well.

11 hours ago, Calum said:

Great paintwork. You really nailed that

Thanks Calum, it was the hardest bit of the build so I really appreciate your verdict 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:33 AM, Ron Pearcy said:

An absolute beauty.

Thanks Ron! 👍

On 10/9/2019 at 10:07 AM, phildagreek said:

That's very smart, well done!

Thanks again, Phil 👍