Calling early F-16 experts

rs2man

Good afternoon all

At the St Ives show on Sunday - great show by the way , congratulations to the organisers - I acquired from Pat at Collectakit an original issue of the 1/72 Revell F-16 as shown in the image below which I have borrowed from Scalemates for illustration purposes

Capture.jpg

When I bought it , I thought it was a YF-16 but a little research suggests it's one of the F-16 FSD aircraft with a spurious serial number in the colour scheme of the 2nd YF-16 .  Can any of the experts out there clarify for me what it really represents ?  It looks a nice-enough little kit but I have no idea of how accurate , or not , it is .  Can I ask for comments on that as well ?

Any help greatly appreciated .

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I have seen an almost identical box but with YF-16 on the a/c fin. I have never been able to establish whether it's the same kit with different decals, the most likely explanation, or the FSD vesrsion which I belive was dimensionally different to the prototype.

If anybody knows I would like to know the differences between the two.

John

The best resource on modeling the F-16 was found on habu2.net but unfortunately no longer exiats. Thanks to the "Wayback Machine" an archived version is available though (some images such as box art and decal scans are not available):

Modeling the F-16 (ARCHIVE)

Quoting from the section describing the "first generation" Revell kit:

One of the earliest F-16 kits released, the Revellkits represent an FSD F-16A. Includes an F100-PW engine, engine dolly and tow tug, 12 Mk82 bombs, 2 AIM-9s, early prototype-style fuel tanks and two ECM pods. The Revell-Germany kits have additional parts and superior decal sheets.

- Manufacturer Revell

- Kit # H-222

- Date Released: 1976

- Description: F-16A Fighting Falcon

Includes markings and paint schemes for the YF-16 prototypes (but incorrect serial numbers).

- Speed brakes can be built open or closed.

- Canopy can be positioned open or closed.

- Ejection seat is generic, definitely not an ACES II.

- Molded in white with heavily engraved panel lines.

- (1) YF-16 #1, "07515", in red/white/blue "Rollout" markings

- (2) YF-16 #2, "07516", in grey "Air Superiority" markings

So in summary, you have plastic representing an FSD airframe but decals for the two YF-16s (which are significantly smaller with different shapes, especially the nose and forward fuselage).

If you want to do the red/white/blue "prototype" scheme, at least one of the FSD birds did wear those colors and the decals you have would at least be a decent starting point.  This photo shows the two in flight together, and you can find more info on airframe and marking details on f-16.net

YF-16 and FSD F-16A

11 hours ago, rs2man said:

Good afternoon all

At the St Ives show on Sunday - great show by the way , congratulations to the organisers - I acquired from Pat at Collectakit an original issue of the 1/72 Revell F-16 as shown in the image below which I have borrowed from Scalemates for illustration purposes

A small tip is to search for the US version of the instruction sheet. It has much clearer painting instructions than the European one, and the grey-on-grey camo scheme is easier to interpret. I found it as a PDF, but lost the URL. Send me a message if interested (robdebie xs4all nl).

The decal sheet in my box combined the black and Insignia Blue part in an intermediate colour. I hated it, therefore I redrew the sheet, and had it custom printed at SpotModel. If you want one too, I can have extras printed. See here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/forsale.htm

forsale-17.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

On 10/4/2019 at 12:38 AM, Rob de Bie said:

A small tip is to search for the US version of the instruction sheet. It has much clearer painting instructions than the European one, and the grey-on-grey camo scheme is easier to interpret. I found it as a PDF, but lost the URL. Send me a message if interested (robdebie xs4all nl).

The decal sheet in my box combined the black and Insignia Blue part in an intermediate colour. I hated it, therefore I redrew the sheet, and had it custom printed at SpotModel. If you want one too, I can have extras printed. See here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/forsale.htm

forsale-17.jpg

Rob

Rob

Thanks for the offers . I will e-mail you tomorrow when I have access to a PC rather than just a phone .

Cheers

John 

• 2 months later...

Hi,
This "F-16" kit from Revell is in fact something like a hybrid model.
Revell had toked advantage in releasing first model of the absolutely new, incredible and beautiful

jet fighter designated F-16, remember, we were in the 70's...
Such market race made its price and some inaccuracies were committed by Revell for a production F-16.
Some parts of this kit are originally to build the YF-16 prototypes, both of the two as decals are for

the #567 and #568 machines.
Also You can confirm this looking to the kit's Canopy, Escapac  ejection seat, Pitot Tube, front landing gear

with two covers, gun muzzle, vertical rudder, tail planes and speed brakes.
Unfortunately Revell mixed some details like front fuselage/radome to represent the F-16 FSD or  F-16As

Block 5, turning it in a more salable kit but also in something like a kit-Frankenstein only because people

like to build a "production" aircraft and neglecting the Prototypes.

Cheers

SouthViper 

30 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Like the H-219 boxing with KLu markings, one of my first kits.
Still have the tractor, engine & trailer and a lot of the weapons included.

Recently I built that same old engine and trailer, straight from the box. I replaced the 'closed' nozzle with an 'open' one later, since the nozzle is open when the engine is off.

f16-28.jpg

Rob

Here's my mid-80's version (ok, so the tractor's yellow - artistic license, and it has a scratchbuilt ding on the right fender)

y4m3NrOurUJWbU1qWns1EKZzkZ7k3YGrvqRiJm5C

Blue AIM-9 training rounds recreated as in the picture behind. 

(and I have to find a way to get rid of the yellowing on the side decal - any ideas?)

49 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Here's my mid-80's version (ok, so the tractor's yellow - artistic license, and it has a scratchbuilt ding on the right fender)

Blue AIM-9 training rounds recreated as in the picture behind. 

(and I have to find a way to get rid of the yellowing on the side decal - any ideas?)

Nice memories! I like the colors on your engine, and maybe I will do something similar with mine. I copied the box art, but it's too simple.

Regarding the yellowed decal: I think the only realistic option is to rip it off with a piece of tape. Or maybe a more gentle method. Or maybe they will simply fall off it touched 🙂

In case you want to replace the two decals, I happen to have the same kit, but I will not use them. Despite being from 1985, they still look excellent, absolutely no yellowing. Yours for the postage . The cockpit decals are gone, though.

Rob

• Thanks 1

I'll have a look in the spares box, there should be something in there for a two-seater that bit the dust in the same period. 
If not, I'll PM you - thanks for the offer!

I would say it's a mix between YF-16 and F-16A FSD. But most like the latter. I still have the kit in the stash, but I would choose other kits for both variants if I should build a model.

Nils