Airfix Bf109F yes the old one in 1/48th scale

Rodders

hi all,

we hope to be at telford in November and was looking at the traders and SBS models look like they will be there. They have a resin cockpit for the Hasegawa 109F and wondered if anyone has ever tried fitting it in the airfix 1/48th scale 109F. i've built the airfix kit and really liked it but the cockpit is not as detailed as modern toolings as it's quite old.

Does anyone have any thoughts,

Thanks,

rodders.

Hi Rodders,

Never had the "pleasure" to fit an SBS resin set to another kit other than the one the company was suggesting. However, I believe it is a process of 'trial and error'.

Just remember that you need to wet-sand any resin part prior to testing how it fits to a kit's part because otherwise you will be inhaling even the smallest particle.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

Does anyone have any thoughts,

Can't see the point.

Adding a resin cockpit means you want the cockpit open,  and the canopy is one piece.

if you want to keep the canopy shut, just adding some seat belts and maybe a IP, and careful painting would do, as what is in the Airfix pit is pretty good.

Sectioning the canopy is tricky,  you could get a vac, or a replacement centre section from another kit perhaps.

I don't really see the point, the Airfix kit is decent, but adding a resin pit is going to show up the basic parts of the old kit, like the raised detailing and moulded in guns and exhausts. 

And, how much is a resin cockpit? a look at the SBS site says 14 Euro,  for not much more than that you can buy a better Bf109F kit which will offer far more finesse OOB

• Like 4

On 10/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, Troy Smith said:

Can't see the point.

Adding a resin cockpit means you want the cockpit open,  and the canopy is one piece.

if you want to keep the canopy shut, just adding some seat belts and maybe a IP, and careful painting would do, as what is in the Airfix pit is pretty good.

Sectioning the canopy is tricky,  you could get a vac, or a replacement centre section from another kit perhaps.

I don't really see the point, the Airfix kit is decent, but adding a resin pit is going to show up the basic parts of the old kit, like the raised detailing and moulded in guns and exhausts. 

And, how much is a resin cockpit? a look at the SBS site says 14 Euro,  for not much more than that you can buy a better Bf109F kit which will offer far more finesse OOB

Hi,

i see your point it's just i'm not able to buy anymore kits as the flat is full with boxes(albeit tidy in a cupboard) so i was just trying to do something with the kits i already had. I just wondered if anyone had ever done it.

thanks,

rodders.

• Like 1

The idea is not bad.

One great thing with the old Airfix kit is that it is said to be ,quote, extremely accurate in shape.

So if you think detailing is fun, (thinning flying surfaces, scribing panel lines, adding vacform canopies, etc,) you could end up with a very fine end result. In that context an exellently detailed SBS cockpit will be more than appropriate. If it fits that is. But since both kits ought to be quite similar in size around the cockpit it should be do-able

I have the SBS cockpit myself, but I will fit it to a Zvezda 109F,

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, Tomas Enerdal said:

The idea is not bad.

One great thing with the old Airfix kit is that it is said to be ,quote, extremely accurate in shape.

So if you think detailing is fun, (thinning flying surfaces, scribing panel lines, adding vacform canopies, etc,) you could end up with a very fine end result. In that context an exellently detailed SBS cockpit will be more than appropriate. If it fits that is. But since both kits ought to be quite similar in size around the cockpit it should be do-able

I have the SBS cockpit myself, but I will fit it to a Zvezda 109F,

thanks Tomas i may try and take the plunge,

cheers,

rodders.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, Troy Smith said:

This is a funny dilemma to me.  The way I apply reasoning is:

Case 1: "Oh, that resin cockpit (or other detail) will make a big difference to the visual impact of the kit." (when I see a resin accessory that looks good and (hopefully) has a tempting price)

Case 2: "Geez, that's no more than I'd pay just for a resin cockpit!" (when I want an excuse to buy another full model kit)

A recent example of Case 1: I was fiddling with a Monogram Typhoon, and in the course of "research" (looking at other people's builds) I saw the Aires wheel well.  I know that it may pose fit challenges, but it was just so darn lovely I really wanted to see it for myself.  At first the price was over the threshold, but then I saw one for a significantly better price...

Examples of Case 2?  I'm not sure that it would be prudent to offer any 😉