Floating Stringbag

Hi everybody. As you can see I'm new to the Britmodeller forums (although I have been reading them for a while) and I thought what a better way of joining in than to take part in a group build.

So here goes.

My choice is the Airfix 1:72 Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane.

spacer.png

Never built one before but have heard good reports.

See you soon with a progress report.....

• Like 10

Hi Bob!

Welcome to the GB! I have both the wheeled and the floatplane version of this kit, so I'll be following with interest!

Good luck!

Jaime

Got a bit of work done on the Swordfish today. Apologies for the picture quality but its a bit small for my phone camera to cope.

The kit is quite impressive with a lot of detail in a small package.

It has the option of folded wings so I thought should I or not. In the end I think I'll leave one extended and fold the other, not quite what the kit provides but shouldn't be too

difficult - gives a bit of interest and saves a bit of shelf space too.

spacer.png

Thanks for your comments

Bob

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bob_C said:

Apologies for the picture quality but its a bit small for my phone camera to cope.

I take most of my WiP pics with a phone and can get quite good close-ups. Crop your pic to your needs and when you upload it to pic storage place, save it at the size that's good for here, say 640 x 480.

Stuart

Oh dear, I thought I'd cracked the photo posting thing. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I ended up using Flickr after having no luck with Google Photos and Dropbox.

Obviously I can see it OK- is anybody else having problems, if so I'll have to try something else.

Onwards and upwards,

Bob

Hi, here are my latest progress pics.

Made a fair bit of progress today and got the fuselage just about done.

Rob is right, this kit is excellent. Detail is good and the fit is top class.

Also comes with a clever upper wing alignment jig for use when building the folded wing version. I'm hoping that with a bit of tweaking it can be used for extended wings as well - shame to waste it!

Have had one problem though - the horizontal t/p supporting struts are molded in a single part having all 4 struts but mine was really distorted on the sprue - almost melted looking, very odd. So I have

replaced it with 4 seperate struts from al. tube - slightly overscale but the best I could do.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Another thing I'd like to point out is that there is no rigging diagram - nothing. You have to rely on your own research, the painting 3 view or the box art.

For a stringbag model I  think you should have some help with where to add the string!

Anyway, that's for another day.

Bob

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

And we're back to the pulsing space.png !

What are you using for image hosting and what type of device are you using to get on the forum? Cellphone, tablet or a PC?

Chris

Hi Uan, forgive me but what is the BBC code.

I am following the instructions given on the Flickr website (I think) and copying the Image Location.

This results in a .jpg address which I then copy into the 'Insert Image from URL' request box.

It seems that some people can see the pics and other can't.

Bob

When you choose a picture to post, click on it so it opens all by itself. To the lower right you will see 4 icons. Click on the right-pointing arrow. When the small window opens, you will see a line of code. Above the line are 4 options. Click on BBCode. Then click on the line of code. When it turns blue, right click and copy.

Come back to the forum and in the REPLY box, PASTE the code directly into the box. DO NOT USE THE " Insert image from URL ".

Chris