How to paint intricate photoetch?

Hey all

So I have dabbled in photoetch here and there but only on smaller scale models and it was all just easier stuff. I would love to make the Revell Tirpitz platinum but just dont think I would be able to do it justice right now. I managed to grab a good deal on the 1:72 German Submarine Type VII which looks like a great model and while it has a lot less PE it is still more intricate than I am used to. I am fine with the gluing and manipulation but I could really use some pointers as to when/how to paint these delicate parts.

The main issue for me is I am proficient with an airbrush and that is how I like to paint all my models, I try to do as little paint brush work as possible. So it seems the correct way to do PE is to make up each part/section using PE and then paint or spray after. But say you have a section that may include walls or wooden decks etc that need to be different colours obviously? It is impossible to mask off these pieces so I really dont how to go about spraying pieces made up of numerous tiny PE all needing different colours.  The photo below is some of the PE from the submarine kit, would you individually spray before gluing or is hand painting inevitable to some degree with PE?

Any kind of advice on how others do the process would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Rich

Richspacer.png

There's no easy answer unfortunately, but I like you try to avoid brush painting where possible. Ultimately it will come down to compromise. On the U-Boat I'd personally be trying to lay that wooden deck as late as possible and have the guns, for example, fully built and painted but not attached to the boat until the end. With detailed ship models it is, regrettably, almost impossible to avoid brush painting entirely so you're going to want paints that brush and spray well. One or the other isn't much help in my experience.

If your paints are good enough to work at very low pressures though, and you are quite precise with your airbrush you should find that you can achieve a lot with just the airbrush in very close and a piece of postcard to use as dynamic masking.

You'll have to find your own balance point with this. Just try not to get caught in the trap of trying to be optimally efficient. Just accept that you're going to do the thinning and clean up numerous times with each colour and get on with it. Fretting over the exact best time to paint and assemble will result in a bit of a mental block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks kindly, yes I guess there was never going to be a magic answer. I think your last paragraph hit home quite a bit, your absolutely right. So many times I find myself sitting there doing nothing because I am trying to work out the best way to do things rather than getting on. Would you advise any particular paint brand that brushes onto PE well?

27 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Would you advise any particular paint brand that brushes onto PE well?

I think Jamie might have an opinion...😇

• Haha 1

There are a few options really. I think the only real consideration should be to avoid paints that are specifically airbrush optimised (e.g. some lacquers) as you're then left high and dry when you do need to touch in with a brush.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There are a few options really. I think the only real consideration should be to avoid paints that are specifically airbrush optimised (e.g. some lacquers) as you're then left high and dry when you do need to touch in with a brush.

Ok bud. I will see how the airbrushing goes and research paints for when I inevitably need to dig out the brushes! Appreciate your help.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, Gunze Sangyo (and lots of other paint-producers, I'm sure) produce a bottle of "metal preparation" paint. It's clear paint, which sticks well to PE parts and then gives your intended paint a good surface to stick to. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

Absolutely agree with Jamie's comments and analysis though he was too modest to promote his range which are excellent

Colourcoats Model paint

I'm a convert.  I use/used acrylics and was initially wary of enamels but using the Colourcoats thinner, smell is at a minimum and drying time is comparable with acrylics.  Plus I'm very happy that he has nailed historical paint accuracy and they brush paint well.

Try them.  You will NOT be disappointed.

Rob