1/72 - Heinkel He.116 by Bat Project - under development

Homebee

Hmm...

This looks interesting.  There's an existing kitting of this but it's very rare and thus pricey as all get out even when you do find it.  I'll be to keeping my eyes on this one!

Well well. At the vast age I am now, the pleasure of being introduced to a completely new type of aeroplane that I've never heard of before, and an attractive one at that, has become very rare. And therefore all the more to be savoured when it does happen. 

What an absolutely wonderful machine.  And what a great thing to kit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I don't think I've ever seen this aircraft before.  It's not even in the 'Hitler's Luftwaffe' publication.

This one?

spacer.png

Yes it is - check page 186

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Well well. At the vast age I am now, the pleasure of being introduced to a completely new type of aeroplane that I've never heard of before, and an attractive one at that, has become very rare. And therefore all the more to be savoured when it does happen. 

What an absolutely wonderful machine.  And what a great thing to kit

Well, I think I must also enrol in the "Never heard of it before" club!😂. I am now 61 and been in the hobby for nearly 53 of these years.

I rather like these obscure subjects and, this is certainly attractive but, considering the eye wateringly high prices for other kits from this company, I think I will pass on it😊

Allan

There are a few pages on this aircraft in the William Green "Warplanes of the Second World War" Vol 9 - summarised in Wikipedia.

I wonder if they will do optional noses for the first eight civil 'A' variants - two of which got converted to the glazed nose 'B' standard.

...Also hiding deep in my Orbis Encyclopedia of Aircraft. My well thumbed oracle of aviaiton knowledge since 1980 something or other. 🙂

Interesting kit choice. I may have to buy one.

Steve

Something like DH 91 Albatross, is it? Nice set of photos here: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/cww2/he116.html, text in Russian but translators exists....

Also here :http://alternathistory.com/pochtovyj-samolyot-dalnego-radiusa-dejstviya-heinkel-he-116-germaniya/

Cheers

J-W

Yes, it is interesting to compare it with two different de Havilland designs.

It definitely has some aesthetic similarity to the Albatross and they were contemporaries, but the Albatross is much bigger, twice the power and twice the weight.

Another point of comparison is the post-war de Havilland Heron, which is much closer in size and power to the 116. The Heron airframe is a lot heavier than that of the 116, which seems to have been a very efficient design structurally. The light airframe weight enabled the 116 to carry much more fuel than the Heron, which was only really intended for fairly short range operations, and to out-perform it in the air.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, GTX said:

This one?

spacer.png

That's the one.  A bit of a classic.  I wish mine still had the dust wrapper.  Mind you, I've had it since about 1978.  Curiously enough I can't find it at the moment. It's not in any of the obvious places.  I'll take your word for it though.

As indicated in the drawings there are some differences in the engine intakes and exhausts between the two versions, so there would need to be alternate noses and engines. Also wonder if the civil version had extra windows? Japanese civil decals would be a great option.  

A tailwheel fork of certain He-116 is preserved (some 5-10 years ago it was even exhibited) in the Polish Aviation Museum Krakow.

Cheers

Michael

On 10/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, Albeback52 said:

Well, I think I must also enrol in the "Never heard of it before" club!😂. I am now 61 and been in the hobby for nearly 53 of these years.

I rather like these obscure subjects and, this is certainly attractive but, considering the eye wateringly high prices for other kits from this company, I think I will pass on it😊

Allan

I thought I was the oldest...im 58 in November. You got me by a couple.😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

I thought I was the oldest...im 58 in November. You got me by a couple.😁

I'm looking forward to my third 21st birthday in 2 years time!😂.

Allan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I'm looking forward to my third 21st birthday in 2 years time!😂.

Allan

Same applies to me, but much sooner - just 6 months left 😪

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 02:35, Meatbox8 said:

That's the one.  A bit of a classic.  I wish mine still had the dust wrapper.  Mind you, I've had it since about 1978.  Curiously enough I can't find it at the moment. It's not in any of the obvious places.  I'll take your word for it though.

Interesting that's the book that got me into the hobby in the 1980's. I still have it on the shelf and refer to it from time to time.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, GTX said:

This one?

spacer.png

Found mine at last.  It got shoved to the back of the book case somehow.  Anyway, yes you are quite right. Quite easy to miss though, in my defence.  Isn't that Wilf Hardy artwork on the front cover good?

Just now, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Combat Aircraft of WW2 also by Bill Gunston got me into it - those Salamander books were the staple of many a lad's bookshelf in the 80s and terrific they are too! 

I too had quite a collection of Salamander books.  All of a WW2 history nature.  They had the perfect balance between text and photos/artwork for a 9/10 year old.  I sold all mine off at a car boot sale in the end, with the exception of the Hitler's Luft, as I needed a bit of a clear out.  I regret it a bit now, especially 'Decisive Battles of Hitler's War'.

Anyway, back on topic, apparently the He116 did see limited service before the War.  Would make for quite an interesting build.

• Like 1