1/72 - Boeing 307 Stratoliner by Bat Project - released

Homebee

21 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

Well I finally got this kit as an Xmas present.    Overall it's not bad but it's definitely a bit rough in places.    The panel lines range from fine to too fine which will disappear under a few coats of paint.    The panel lines are also themselves slightly rough in places and not Hasegawa like.   The engines are probably the worst parts and have pretty indistinct, blobby detail.

Santa delivered mine also. Mine is the Pan Am version. I am not too worried about the engines, I have 2 options, either replace the engines or install the original streamline covers present in the kit and shown in photos of the type in Pan Am service. With the covers in place you would be hard pressed to see any engine details. I have a plethora of B-17 extras and spares if necessary. My issue is the decals, Pan Am blue in the 1930’s era was dark like navy blue, the decals look far too light compared with photos of vintage Pan Am paraphernalia and the restored N19903. I think they used the later Pan Am blue used on their jetliners. Vintage flyer decals does excellent decals in 1/72 for the all of the Pan Am Stratoliners in the correct colours and I have placed an order for those. Otherwise this is light years ahead of the Maquette kit! Mine will be getting the Rosie the Riveter treatment, so most of the panel lines will be filled. They have paid attention to all of the little idiosyncrasies slightly different than the B-17. For 1/72 Stratoliner aficionados, I really doubt it will get any better than this. I feel very lucky to have one.

Jeff

21 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Santa delivered mine also. Mine is the Pan Am version. I am not too worried about the engines, I have 2 options, either replace the engines or install the original streamline covers present in the kit and shown in photos of the type in Pan Am service. With the covers in place you would be hard pressed to see any engine details. I have a plethora of B-17 extras and spares if necessary. My issue is the decals, Pan Am blue in the 1930’s era was dark like navy blue, the decals look far too light compared with photos of vintage Pan Am paraphernalia and the restored N19903. I think they used the later Pan Am blue used on their jetliners. Vintage flyer decals does excellent decals in 1/72 for the all of the Pan Am Stratoliners in the correct colours and I have placed an order for those. Otherwise this is light years ahead of the Maquette kit! Mine will be getting the Rosie the Riveter treatment, so most of the panel lines will be filled. They have paid attention to all of the little idiosyncrasies slightly different than the B-17. For 1/72 Stratoliner aficionados, I really doubt it will get any better than this. I feel very lucky to have one.

Jeff

JWM's done a nice job on it on the previous page but yes it's definitely light years ahead of the Maquette kit and I'm glad we've got it.   The Maquette kit looks like a bit of a dog.  Mind you the real test will be when I build the Bat kit.   I've got the TWA version and I can't see any engine covers so it looks like it is only Pan Am that used them as you said.   I've got a Revell B17 but I don't want to use those as I want to build a B17 obviously with the engines.

One question though.   I know I said the panel lines aren't the best I've seen but I gave the forward fuselage a light dusting with Halfords Volvo silver car spray and it doesn't look too bad.   Why are you going to fill most of the panel lines in?

• Like 1