1/72 Hawker Fury Mk.I Revell (Matchbox)

A big moment this, I get to post my first completed model on Britmodeller. Mark 'completed' not really first as in a box of shame resides a small spitfire on which I spent many many hours creatively creating every possible disaster. From discovering paint incompatibility to just learning how thick not to lay down a coat for it to dry, ever. Constant fails and redo's took the fun away from this attempt at the hobby. Yet having kept all the basic tools I one day had this bright idea I'd try and build a model with my 4-year old son... As expected his attention lasted for all of 15 minutes but a fresh start on a new project kicked of my own interest again. So without too many fails, and having promised myself to keep things simple, here it is.

A revell (matchbox) Hawker Fury 1/72. Apart from some small pieces of pianowire, two steel washers for the wheels and that elastic rigging thread, out of the box, pilot figure and all.

Colored with alclad semi matte aluminium. Didn't like this paint. So roughly pigmented I had to crank up pressure and literally hose it out of my 0.3 sparmax airbrush. Making spot repairs in 1/72 scale very difficult. If anyone can recommend a similliar high speed silver acrylic that's easier to work with I'm all ears. Metal parts are Alclad polished aluminium over humbrol gloss black. This worked nicely with no adherence issues. Though I had to tone down the shinyness for it to not.. shine.. as much. Yellow is tamiya x-8 over white and the rest is just random humbrol or gunze cans. Weathered mostly with Mig ammo RAF weathering kit that consists of three shades/bottles of enamel washes. While the colors are nice I find these washes a bit clumpy or course for 1/72 aircraft modelling so if anyone can recommend any other make or brand that go on smoother I'd appreciate it. 

Any critique is highly welcome. Think I'll build another one now and perhaps even dare make a build thread.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Radek J

Edited by Radek
  • Like 51

For a first completed model, you've done an excellent job Radek. The paint job looks great, decals look good, weathering also looks good. Rigging also looks nice, what did you use? Nice and simple base, what was used there? As for a build thread, go for it.

Stuart

Radek,

Very nice Fury! You did a great job on the rigging, which looks to scale. Only suggestion for next time is consider doing the flying wires in a thicker diameter- IIRC the real ones had a flat rather than round cross section, but pretty darned hard to do in 1/72 scale. Well done!

Mike

Thank you all!

Stuart, 

I used this for rigging thread:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10460914/20/1

Bought the 1/72 variant but turned out it was much to thin for my taste so only used it for the antenna wire. Bought another roll but the 1/48 variant instead. Very easy to use. I had drilled holes all the way through the wings but turned out it was unnecessary as a tiny mark with the smallest amount of superglue will hold it in place just fine. 

The wood base is a drink coaster from ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Drink-Coasters-GOH-DODD-7-Piece-3-6-Inch-Coasters-Set-with-Holder/113664296280?hash=item1a76eb8558:g:5SEAAOSwXoJcc6m~

And the grass:
https://mbrmodel.eu/en/product-category/mbr-grass-mats/grass-mats-l/
I think it's regular static grass fixed to a glossy plastic sheet. I peeled of the sheet, mixed a spoon of swedish dirt with some white glue and water and brushed the resulting mud on to the masked wood coaster. Then just pressed the cut grass circle in to the mud. Surprisingly quickly done.

72modeler.

Your right. it looks a bit thin despite being pitch black. I tried drybrushing the wires with some silver humbrol but when not black they just dissapeared! So had to leave them like that. Next time!

• Thanks 1

Wonderful job, really looks the part!

Those Matchbox/Revell Furies are an absolute gem of a kit and the design with how the cabane struts are moulded to fit at once so the angle and stagger is correct for the upper wing is pure genius. Whoever designed that should have gotten a medal 😉

• Like 1

A lovely job on that wee number. A four year old was my nudge back into modelling, he is 18 now & far more interested in parties & girls, I'm still at it & I still haven't managed anything a fraction as good as that. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Radek said:

I used this for rigging thread:
The wood base is a drink coaster 
And the grass:

Infini is meant to be good stuff but I use Uschi myself.

Those coasters look rather neat bases, wonder if their are cheaper versions and different sizes.

And grass looks rather nice.

Thanks

Stuart

Very nice indeed!

The rigging is great, a little overscale but not so much that it grates. The thinner aerial wire would be more accurate but whatever works for you is fine! At the end of the day you have a lovely little model which looks the part and no glaring overscale bits.

Great job!

Ian 

A convincing demonstration of how those lovely Matchbox biplanes can be rendered into high quality models – in the right hands.

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

EDIT: Hang on there for a sec – did you mean your first completed model ever?

Then it's sensational – I assumed it was your first model here on RFI…😳

Colour me seriously impressed!

Dude! That is an excellent job. I don't know what's more impressive, your kit building or your photographic skill. Those pictures show off your Fury wonderfully!

Chris

Thank you all for the wonderfull comments.

Ian

Good to hear another opinion on the rigging. I value that highly. 

Chris 

Thank you. The pictures are taken with my sons ipad. Which happens to be the best camera in the house :) The light is two desk led lamps from lidl, one top, one from the right. No natural daylight as it’s night this time of year once I’ve gotten the kids in bed. Hence the contrasty lighting from two lamps only. I think what sells it is the brown waxed paper background. Not sure what it is but found a roll and liked it as it gives the otherwise cold silvery Fury a warm tint.

Radek J

• Like 1