T-54b

Hewy

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's turning out really well Glynn, and it's definitely persuaded me to look out for one at Telford. It should make an interesting project to try and turn it into a Tiran. One question though. Do you have any idea of the origins of the tank ie; Polish, Czech or Russian?

John.

Thanks pal ,I expect modifying it to a tiran wont cause you many problems john ,Definitely molded by "takom" though, if thats what you mean, the  major giveaway is the lettering  molded on a tab to identify the sprue  is identical to my 72nd  takom maz 537 kit ,also i can't  remember on which site i read it,  but a lot of fingers were pointing to takom as the origin ,but commissioned by mig ammo, i fully expect takom to bring it out after a short while ,maybe next year, if they do you may get a tiran oob

Modelcollect are also apparently bringing out a 72nd  t-62 also

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

That is looking awesome Glynn. I really struggle to believe it’s 1/72! Such a finely detailed model and your work on it is really bringing it to life.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking awesome Glynn. I really struggle to believe it’s 1/72! Such a finely detailed model and your work on it is really bringing it to life.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix  but its testament to the kit really, I've  only guilty of some simple assembly , and given it a waft over with the airbrush, all the credit has to go on the kit, glad you like it so far though cheers pal

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Glynn, but that wasn't what I meant (sorry). I was asking about he origins of the actual tank, ie; does it say anything in the instructions as to which nation built the tank as most of the Tirans  came from one country (Czech I think). Each country fitted different cupolas. Seeing as the decals are Syrian, it should be fine for a Tiran.

John.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

but that wasn't what I meant (

Ok john no probs, theres no indication of the country's manufacture in the write up ,although in the booklet you do get some nice colour photos ,  but unfortunately of a vietnamese t-54, but theres an Egyptian version from the 6 day war in the paint and decal scheme ,  and some of those were captured by the Israelis and turned into tirans if I'm not mistaken, so i would have thought it  a good starting point for your conversion ,

Done a bit more weathering on the little fella , still a bit i want to do , although I'm  not liking the mantlet cover in the picture , i shall have to re-do that, 

Thanks for all the positive comments so far, i do appreciate it,  only my third afv in 72nd ,since the days of matchbox and airfix when i were a little lad

Glynn

QjJGnBX.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great Glynn!

Honestly I would be really happy if I could get an end result anywhere near as good as your T-54 looks now.

1 minute ago, Dads203 said:

That’s fantastic work Glynn, could easily be mistaken for a 35th scale build fella. 

:goodjob:

I really appreciate that dan ,craig, but the skeletons are there to behold under zoom,no closet to hide them in in this scale 

Hopfully a misty flat coat will blur the errors, and also a flippin search light has gone walkabout , luckily mrs hewy hasn't been in with the hoover,so theres still hope , thanks again gents

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I really appreciate that dan ,craig, but the skeletons are there to behold under zoom,no closet to hide them in in this scale 

I think you're being way too modest, that looks great. 

Don't know if it's just me but I find the smaller scales suit my painting technique better and scaling up is harder than down. Does that match your experience?

Andy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

technique better and scaling up is harder than down. Does that match your experience?

Cheers pal, 

You may be onto something andy,  as i said earlier this is my third 72nd afv in adulthood ,and I'd tend to agree with you,  painting and weathering  in 72nd coming down from 35th and 48th , scale models seems a little easier ,i dont believe it's  because its smaller ,but maybe because you've got your eye in ,if you know what i mean, perhaps its like  compressing your  hard earned skills, does that make any sense? But alas  the kit and the paint scheme helps👍

• Like 2

That's an excellent job on what looks like a very nice kit! The camouflage is a nice change from the green I'm used to seeing these in.

I've been thinking about getting one of these as it looks light years ahead of the trumpeter one currently residing in my stash.

All the best

Ben

10 minutes ago, badger said:

That's an excellent job on what looks like a very nice kit! The camouflage is a nice change from the green I'm used to seeing these in.

I've been thinking about getting one of these as it looks light years ahead of the trumpeter one currently residing in my stash.

All the best

Ben

Cheers ben i can confirm it builds up beautifully too

• Like 1

Hi Glynn. Such an incredibly detailed model - I know I keep saying this - but I cannot get with it only being 1/72. Your paintwork and weathering is still getting better and better! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

get with it only being 1/72.

Cheers stix your far to kind pal, its just about finished now, I'll  have to choose something far more taxing next time, still haven't found the errant spot light mind,although i do have until January to find it,theres a slim chance mr dyson has consumed it,but mrs hewy is only allowed in the toy room under strict supervision  nowadays :happy:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'll  have to choose something far more taxing next time,

Hi Glynn. Well you could always make something else in this GB! 😜

....and I hope the spot light turns up okay. I was trying to think of items you could fabricate one from but, as you are working in 1/72, I couldn't think of anything small enough. Perhaps Mr Dyson will have it and return it.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Haha 1

I'm  not rushing honest, I've  given the T-54 a flat coat ,probably over done it because its took a bit of the metal effects away,I'll  redo that, also ive made a start on my diorama 😋, still no sign of the errant spotlight , although i have painted the machine gun ,forgot to put it in the photos though,  

T-54 and the diorama as yet unpainted,

1oEWIPy.jpg

lRumqGo.jpg

BM3oEhQ.jpg

QRY06T8.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

It really does look "nice" Glynn.

Great job on the transporter too, the diorama is going to look excellent when finished.

Cheers craig, as you can see i haven't wasted the day,  as I've given the diorama a lick of paint😋

LB8WxH1.jpg

y6Fe6CM.jpg

• Like 5