T-54b

Hewy

I shall be building the t-54 b  1/ 72nd scale kit by ammo, it looks a fairly decent kit, a bit of photo etch included , I'm enjoying building 72nd stuff lately so I'm  looking forward to this ,also as a side build , i know the takom 1/72 scale maz 537g tank transporter doesn't fit the parameters of the gb but I'm  tempted to build this kit too to sit the t-54 on when its on  the shelf,   i shall have to post that one else where though , pictures later when imgur is behaving its self  cheers

• Like 4

Hi Glynn and welcome to the T-55 STGB. Great to have you taking part. And I do like the look of the kit you're planning to build - just been looking at the reviews on Scalemates. Not seen this kit before........now tempted get one!:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn and welcome to the T-55 STGB. Great to have you taking part. And I do like the look of the kit you're planning to build - just been looking at the reviews on Scalemates. Not seen this kit before........now tempted get one!:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

It looks a little gem doesn't it, time will tell though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've  made a good start on this kit, which is awsome, fit,molding, detail , ease of construction, most recommended indeed, after looking at my diorama kit😋(takom maz 537 tank transporter) the T-54b kit is also looks to be  made by takom,and boxed up for "mig ammo "or at least at the same injection molding factory, so I've got the lower hull just about ready , turret mostly done ,some pe left to do ,wheels on, and tracks built, these were done on an included jig ,link and length, superbly molded with the attachment points finely done, i snipped all parts from the sprues with tamiya very fine sprue cutters,  pictures so far, it'll  be picture heavy

x4qSDIV.jpg

3VhwWV5.jpg

3nBrEnT.jpg

exeKqv6.jpg

ClDCxcx.jpg

XjCALx5.jpg

F7m0neL.jpg

pIRoIZY.jpg

Paint schemes in the box are

iOm4j2A.jpg

And the diorama ,🤗the box art  is for an Afghan northern alliance maz, but there are some very nicley camouflaged t54s from Afghanistan that don't need decals, so unless i can find a syrian,  or Egyptian  maz for reference,  the diorama will be done in an afghan theme, ( would  fit in nicley in @modelling minion current 80s front line asia gb,  not much time left though

4VFrSDY.jpg

Cheers for looking, top of the hull next

Glynn

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I like the contraption so that the tracks are made correctly

So do i jabba, it really is fool proof, theres notches on it that locate the track lugs, you literally can't go wrong (although i haven't tried them yet :fingerscrossed: )

• Haha 1

Great start on a great looking kit Glynn.

Has a lot of very nice decal options, I would struggle to choose between them.

Like Jabba I think the track tool is excellent, something for other manufacturers to take note of.

I'm sure you could knock one of these up in 11 days left on the 80's Asia GB :) .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

knock one of these up in 11 days left on the 80's Asia GB :) 

Stop it,:giggle:, a small confession,  I'm  a bit further ahead than the pictures show, I've  been engrossed in it ,it is a great little kit

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Just now, modelling minion said:

Praise indeed, I think I might get me a couple of small scale AFV's and this one is high on the list.

I reckon its up there for enjoyment value with the hobbyboss  mi-17 hip ,lets hope i can paint it up nicley this time,after the hind disaster, cheers craig

• Like 1

I've  been busy today,i had a bit of spare time while waiting for some bits and bobs for another project.

I finished the hull build

0yEoYSl.jpg

2C8uG1k.jpg

oTIhlkd.jpg

Painted up the wheels and got the tracks on and dashed a bit of wash on them, i may lighten these up a bit,also added a bit of lead in the lower  hull to make it a bit more sure footed

iDSbqhZ.jpg

Nuj39YL.jpg

The turret is built up and given a base coat

uUxlL5c.jpg

I've  decided im doing a syrian t-54 from the 1973 yom kippur war, top right scheme from the kit posted earlier, i shall be attempting to freehand the camo on with the airbrush because I'm  crap at brush painting even with stix's tutorial 🤪

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like the way that this is turning out Glynn. There's a helluva lot of detail in this kit, considering the small scale. It even has the deep wading frame. After seeing your build, I might try and pick one up at Telford so that I can turn it into a Tiran 4.

John.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I like the way that this is turning out Glynn. There's a helluva lot of detail in this kit, considering the small scale. It even has the deep wading frame. After seeing your build, I might try and pick one up at Telford so that I can turn it into a Tiran 4.

John.

Thanks john,it is a cracker of a kit a bit on the expensive side for 72nd,but you get what you pay for i guess

10 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

What a stunning looking kit, you would think that it’s 35th scale if you didn’t know. I had to go back and check the scale just to make sure. Lovely work on the running gear Glynn :goodjob:

Thanks dan it is beautifully molded,its one of the reasons I'm building more 72nd scale models ,some of the recent kits in 72nd are a real step up detail wise 

Ive got a  72nd takom maz537 and semi trailer and that looks really niceley molded too, 

I got up early this morning, and I've  been busy again, just a quick photo till later

First the red brown

SarrOGS.jpg

And then a bit of green , i reckon this should weather up nicley

uzBxVv5.jpg

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Glynn.

It really does look like a superb kit and you have got yours together very quickly indeed. Great job on the freehand camo, as you say i'm sure it will weather up really nicely.

Cheers craig, the camo looks good to the naked eye, a bit iffy zoomed in on ,but I'm happy with how it turned out,  the syrian decals ,a wash, a nice light tan filter and a dash of oils will do it, i dont want to make it too dark , it seems like a cop out at times building 72nd scale subjects in gbs,but  my bench time  is feast or famine this time of year ,I'm  still searching the stash and beyond  for something long term to start over the christmas period, russian ,48th, with wings may very well do it

• Like 1

Fantastic progress Glynn on your wonderfully detailed T-54b! The detail and your beautiful modelling make it look far bigger than 1/72. The camo looks brilliant too! Awesome stuff! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I've  completed the assembley, I've  added some wood effects to the grounding log on the rear , with a blade and I've  glossed it up ready for a darn good weathering

v9oRuzZ.jpg

8gTPokz.jpg

And somthing for scale,another t-54b (miniart)although still I'm ashamed to say still  unfinished  

The little fella is in front🤗

bVypK5u.jpg

Now he's on the back,camo works well doesn't it, i know the Iraqi sand colour is too light, at the minute, it wont be like that at the end, decals tomorrow, cheers all

5Ne3znI.jpg

• Like 6

It's turning out really well Glynn, and it's definitely persuaded me to look out for one at Telford. It should make an interesting project to try and turn it into a Tiran. One question though. Do you have any idea of the origins of the tank ie; Polish, Czech or Russian?

John.

• Thanks 1