Warbirds and other relics

vppelt68

Devastated by todays news of the loss of several life and the Collings Foundation B-17G "Nine-O-Nine" in a flight accident, I suggest we honour the hard working enthusiasts keeping all those 1:1 live museum pieces running and giving us not just the looks, but also the sounds, smells and emotions of the machines in action by putting up a "Warbirds and other live relics GB". Your build can be an old warplane, tank, vintage race car, locomotive, whatever, as long as it is or has once been in running condition to educate and thrill people. The "has been" lets us include machines like the poor old #909 and such :weep:. As good examples of what I'm talking about are the BBMF, SwAFHF, various private collections... I think the choices are endless. Any takers? V-P

EDIT: 6.11.19 museum pieces now included, as requested - "live" removed from the Title!

1. vppelt68

2. Mancunian airman

3. Col.

4. Rob G.

5. Corsairfoxfouruncle

6. Valkyrie

7. Ol´Scrapiron

8. Paul J

9. Mig Eater

10. Colin W

11. Back in the Saddle

12. ...

• Like 1

Hmm, some random thoughts on the subject, in no particular order...

Need a co-host? If so I'd be delighted to take on the role.

The Swedish Air Force Historic Flight have a Hawker Hunter in 'Acrojets' livery but rather than being an F.4 it's an ex-Swiss AF F.58 so that could look good beside my F.4 model.

RNHF stuff has plenty appeal to me and a lot of kits suitable existing in the stash already.

What about those new build Yak-9 with the Allison engine; eligible for this GB? Same with that re-engined Fw-190 with the four-blade prop?

Oh, oh, then there's that gorgeous Spitfire PR.XI :wub: 

Or the various attempts to recreate a PR.1 currently underway. Plus that Hawker Typhoon project. What's your thoughts on items currently under rebuild/restoration but not yet completed such as these or the unsucessful attempt to get B-29 Kee Bird flown from Greenland?

• Thanks 1

Col. you're hired! You also raised several good questions, that I leave to be answered. I didn't have a view about them when I came up with the idea, and a few hours later I still don't, so it's up to you and other interested members to decide! V-P

• Thanks 1

Hello V-P a couple of quick questions ? One how would you determine if its a warbird vs a standard model build of say a P-51. Last time i looked there were 253 mustangs still in existence ? Yes i counted off the list here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_North_American_P-51_Mustangs

Would you be required to add the civil registration ? Most warbirds do have them somewhere in small size usually under the Horizontal stabs.
If doing the Red bull warbirds you would need redbull logos, as most if not all the aircraft I've seen wear them. A main reason i don't like those restorations, but thats another story. Would you need photographic evidence of it being in a museum, gate guard, or a flying warbird to prove its existence. How would you prove someone isn't using any generic decals, and calling it a warbird ? Im sure i could come up with more questions but thats what comes to mind right now. Interested but curious ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

Dennis, I just naively trust people who are building plastic models. Some people strive for maximum accuracy, some not. Of course the build must be based on a real, running machine. The ultimate challenge should be to have fun, let's do just that! V-P

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello V-P a couple of quick questions ? One how would you determine if its a warbird vs a standard model build of say a P-51. Last time i looked there were 253 mustangs still in existence ? Yes i counted off the list here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_North_American_P-51_Mustangs

Would you be required to add the civil registration ? Most warbirds do have them somewhere in small size usually under the Horizontal stabs.
If doing the Red bull warbirds you would need redbull logos, as most if not all the aircraft I've seen wear them. A main reason i don't like those restorations, but thats another story. Would you need photographic evidence of it being in a museum, gate guard, or a flying warbird to prove its existence. How would you prove someone isn't using any generic decals, and calling it a warbird ? Im sure i could come up with more questions but thats what comes to mind right now. Interested but curious ? 

Dennis

The nasty co-mod will check and administer a suitably unsuitable punishment to anyone caught faking it :whip: 

I'd say a photo or link to prove it is or at least was at one point a live relic is fine :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about....an aircraft that was flying but now in a museum? I’ve always wanted to build the Loch Doon spitfire that crashed killing its pilot Frantisek Hekl. Aircraft was eventually raised and refurbished now in Dumfries museum...but doesn’t fly..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds great.

I would think that an accompanying "non-period" reference photo is ample verification... and planes on display in a museum are just as "educational" as the flying/touring warbird fleet.

Not sure if I am going to commit my HK 1/32 B-17 to portray B-17G 44-83563 Fuddy Duddy ... but I'm in for something similar.

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-----

Hmmmm.... I have a great idea to make this one extra special and fit the category EXACTLY -- can't wait!!!

• Like 2

Let´s see what happens by next November, with some luck this one, the Boeing GB and maybe even the Night and Day GB might make it past the required 30 missi... participants and thus be eligible for the 2021 vote 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

On 09/10/2019 at 23:49, Valkyrie said:

What about....an aircraft that was flying but now in a museum? I’ve always wanted to build the Loch Doon spitfire that crashed killing its pilot Frantisek Hekl. Aircraft was eventually raised and refurbished now in Dumfries museum...but doesn’t fly..

Museum pieces added to eligible subjects, welcome! V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a good idea for a group build. Over the last few years I've managed to build the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane, ex RNAS Historic Flight Firefly and several planes from the RTAF Museum in Bangkok. All have been part of other group builds here on Britmodeller so a GB based on such subjects would be a good idea. 

Count me in for 2021 but too far away to say what with. 

Colin 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

Hmmm....an excuse to build a Vulcan? Very tempted but can't commit due to the lack of a Vulcan in the stash.

There's a cure for that ;) 

• Haha 2