Collings Foundation B-17 Crash

Paul Bradley

Seen a few reports of this now. One saying on takeoff, another saying on landing. Others still say it hit some building or structure.

It sounds like some are just guessing but most people will be first and foremost interested in the crew, rightly so. With this too, varying numbers are being reported. I've seen claims of four persons injured and taken to hospital on some reports.

WHDH TV reported six people were taken to the hospital.  FlightAware shows it took off from Bradley International and then turned around after only 5 minutes in the air.

• Sad 1

That's horrible. :(  Best wishes to everyone involved, and hopefully the reports of deaths are wrong but in general things tend to get more clear as time goes by.  Sad to lose a B-17 too.

• Like 1

Thirteen aboard, including two pilots. As of 6 pm CST, seven dead have been reported. According to broadcast of   radio transmissions from the crew, there was a problem with number four engine after take-off and return to the airport was requested; aircraft veered off of the runway and struck a building. So sad! IIRC, this would be the first major accident involving a Collings Foundation aircraft. I remember going inside her as well as their B-24J Witchcraft several years ago when they visited San Antonio as part of their annual Wings of Freedom tour. My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives and wish the injured a speedy and complete recovery.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpv-xxYQ8-o

Hey all

Sad news today. The Collings Foundation B-17G 909 has crashed in Connecticut. this happened October 2, 2019 at approximately 9:00 am.😪😪

There were 7 people killed. There were three crew members on board with I believe 10 paying passengers, plus one person on the ground involved. They had just taken off when they experienced engine problems and turned around to land and check out what was wrong when they crashed into a building on the runway area by the de-icing facility. From the videos it's hard to believe how anyone could have survived. I hope they don't stop these flights because of this, because there is already talk about how safe these old WW2 planes are, sad very sad😥

Ron G 

• Sad 1

Absolutely dreadful   Those poor people.  I've had an affinity with Nine-Oh-Nine for years because it featured in a film I made a while back.  A tragic event.