Primer colour Renault FT-17 during WWI?

Duckwizard

Does anybody know which colour the primer of the little Renault FT-17 had during the WWI-era? Guessing it had primer under the camo. Building the Meng kit currently.

Thx a lot for any input!

Edited by Duckwizard
just added some key words

Having spoken to the Weald Foundation guys at Bovington Tankfest 2018, the first outing of their beautiful FT restorations, I believe no primer is correct.  They did extensive colour layer analysis in co-operation with a university.  Bovington at one time had their own pre-production FT in red oxide, presumably incorrectly.  Weald also discovered that the interior was 2-tone grey over white (or the other way round!).  And that the wheels and rollers leaked oil at a great rate: no seals!  However, theirs is not Renault-built and they did discover factory variations between their FT and TSF.

Their restoration can be viewed here, but you need to become a member to see the images. https://www.wealdfoundation.org/Collection/Tracked-Armour/2241-/Renault-FT#inDetail  I notice that they did red oxide prime some parts themselves

I would ask the Weald Foundation for confirmation of the primer situation.  They are the current experts.

• Thanks 2