1/72 - Martin (Glenn L.) B-10/B-12 family by Special Hobby and Azur-FRROM - released - new boxing

Homebee

Some extra info;

The three boxing's are not interchangeable they feature different parts for cowlings and nacelles.

FR0042 B-10 Export WH-2/WAA Aircraft fitted with Wright Cyclone R-1820. WH-2 coded M515 flew combat alongside the RAF at Singapore. B-504 Used by Argentine Army, B-511 after nose modification post accident.

FR0043 B-10 Export Slightly longer nacelles WC 1403 one of two surviving aircraft of the 9 delivered in 1937.  3-B-3 Argentinian Navy.

FR0044 B-10B US Service. 58 Based at Clark Field now know to have been written off and not passed to Philippine Army as was thought. 

• Like 3

My FR0042 arrived the other day - looks very tasty, and a big step up from the Williams Bros one (as it should be, given the time that's elapsed since that one first appeared). Mine will be in one of the NEI schemes; haven't settled on which yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Special Hobby boxing. Release in March 2021 - ref. SH72440 - Bomber model 139WC/WSM/WT "Chinese, Siamese and Turkish Service"

Sources: 

https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/03/model-139wcwsmwt-chinese-siamese-and.html

https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/02/sh72440-bomber-model-139wcwsmwt-chinese.html?m=1

SH72440-A.jpg

SH72440-B.jpg

SH72440-C.jpg

SH72440-D.jpg

B-10-decals.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Rather like the look of the Turkish one ? I wonder is that sand camouflage or very weathered green faded to a dull brown. 

I've seen it described as orange so maybe a deep tan?  Not green.

• Thanks 1

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/201764/M-543?fbclid=IwAR2y4PCGBLH0QEjSAsev-61gQCKnGDqfGmTlsxnBsXhnkAQ722ZVf9VDk1g

Although this is the later Martin 139WH-3 (long canopy and different wings) this photo gives a good idea of the blue used by Martin for the Dutch - and presumably USAAC - aircraft.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 01:04, jimmaas said:

I've seen it described as orange so maybe a deep tan?  Not green.

Sand upper surface with silver-painted under surface.....profile looks correct. Same scheme used on several types (according to Turkish article in French mag). Definitely nothing like orange....

26 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Sand upper surface with silver-painted under surface.....profile looks correct. Same scheme used on several types (according to Turkish article in French mag). Definitely nothing like orange....

I understand that the idea seems strange, and - not having been there - can't testify from my own observation.  But I came by the description from a Turkish modeler who may well have have pertinent insight:

"I can't be emphatic enough about this: All the sources
say that these were painted a reddish dark orange on
the top, and aluminum dope everywhere else. The exact
color was Dupont 83-2588 "Deluxe Orange", I believe
this is close to FS 13538.  The dark color in the
photos is absolutely not green. - Hope this helps,
Kursad"

I hope there might be some forum members in Turkey who can provide information.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

The exact color was Dupont 83-2588 "Deluxe Orange", I believe
this is close to FS 13538.  

Well, it can't be disputed if a particular paint code is specified. It could well be correct, as the colour varies from light to dark in b/w photos, which is consistent with how orange

appears in different film types. There are also some Life photos taken before delivery which show the paint to be glossy, rather than a flat, military -type paint.....

On 3/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, jimmaas said:

I understand that the idea seems strange, and - not having been there - can't testify from my own observation.  But I came by the description from a Turkish modeler who may well have have pertinent insight:

"I can't be emphatic enough about this: All the sources
say that these were painted a reddish dark orange on
the top, and aluminum dope everywhere else. The exact
color was Dupont 83-2588 "Deluxe Orange", I believe
this is close to FS 13538.  The dark color in the
photos is absolutely not green. - Hope this helps,
Kursad"

I hope there might be some forum members in Turkey who can provide information.

Hi Jim and all,

I have in my collection a number of vintage Dupont color books (Duco and Dulux) and these include the mentioned Dupont 83-2588 Deluxe Orange.

I can match this actual color sample to the FS and BS fan decks if anyone here is interested.

Tim

NOTE:  Just came across this on the web...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,49251.0.html

Edited by VH-USB
Added URL
  • Like 4

On 3/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, VH-USB said:

Hi Jim and all,

I have in my collection a number of vintage Dupont color books (Duco and Dulux) and these include the mentioned Dupont 83-2588 Deluxe Orange.

I can match this actual color sample to the FS and BS fan decks if anyone here is interested.

Tim

NOTE:  Just came across this on the web...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,49251.0.html

Well, wouldn't you know it, I have many old Dupont color charts in my collection but none contain the 83-2588 'Deluxe Orange'.

I do have color chips for a 'Duco Orange' and a 93-082 'Dulux Orange'.

Duco is Dupont's tradename for their lacquer line and 'Dulux' is the tradename for their enamel line. Dulux is still being produced.

I will match the listed reference of FS13538 against both the Duco Orange and Dulux Orange and see if there is a close match to either color.

Martin may have used enamels as this seems to have been common practice at the time for American produced airplanes.

And as to the mention of aluminum dope being used with the Deluxe Orange, I feel enamel would have been used, not dope. Dope would have been used on fabric surfaces.

Tim

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Martin (Glenn L.) B-10/B-12 family by Special Hobby and Azur-FRROM - released - new boxing

The 1/72 Model 139WC/WSM/WT contains four marking options, two Chinese machines, one as flown in Siam and one from Turkey. And if the upper surface colours of the latter does seem a bit fishy to you, do you not worry please, the orange livery is mentioned in several references including those directly from Turkey. So we have just decided to stick with them. The same level of controversy might raise the Chinese machines, which, originally delivered wearing the famous US scheme of a yellow wing and blue fuselage, were in fact painted over in China using dark green. Some photos, however, do show that the uppers had some sort of mottles on them, which might suggest that the Chinese green just peeled off revealing the yellow underneath.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4