1:1 Scale 88mm shell.

HL-10

A company called "Pig Models" has released a 1:1 scale 88mm shell, as use in the Flak 36/37 and the Tiger 1.

It is moulded in same type of plastic  used in drain pipes.

It comprises of just 4 parts, and the stencil data on the shell is provided as, well stencils!

88-1.jpg

Along side my "Tiger" Sergeant Tibbs :)

88-2.jpg

Available from Fishbone Inc. On Facebook

• Like 6

Appropriate price, $88!

Back in the seventies one of the mainstream model companies made a 1/1 88mm shell. Maybe Esci or one of the several Japanese manufacturers. I even think it was moulded in brass coloured plastic. 

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Appropriate price, $88!

Back in the seventies one of the mainstream model companies made a 1/1 88mm shell. Maybe Esci or one of the several Japanese manufacturers. I even think it was moulded in brass coloured plastic. 

Yes , I remember that .  It was reviewed in Airfix Magazine .  I don't think it was one of the mainstream companies who produced it though - memory suggests it was someone I've never heard of before or since . 

Capture2.jpg

Thought so - Lemarka Reproductions .  Advert from Airfix Magazine June 1975

Edited by rs2man
Updated info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, HL-10 said:

£3.95 plus 35p P&P!😀

Ah but £3.95 was serious money in 1975 .  Adverts in that issue of the magazine included the Matchbox series 1 aircraft kits at 30p & the 1/8 scale Airfix Honda 750 Four at £2.40 . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rs2man said:

Yes , I remember that .  It was reviewed in Airfix Magazine .  I don't think it was one of the mainstream companies who produced it though - memory suggests it was someone I've never heard of before or since . 

Capture2.jpg

Thought so - Lemarka Reproductions .  Advert from Airfix Magazine June 1975

Britmodeller, scores again. 

I think these days it would be easier to get the real thing. 

The projectile was semi-gloss black with a white tip.  Easy.  How are you going to do the brass or lacquered steel finish on the case?  And do I guess they might do the L/71 version next, as they share the same projectile?

$88 does seem a bit much for such simple mouldings in such cheap material.  Seems like too much of a coincidence with the calibre to my cynical self..........

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Just took delivery of my lockdown treat - the new 88mm PzGr 39/43 from Pig Models. Expensive for what it is but pretty big impact in the man cave - circa 112cm long/tall.

Biggest challenge I think will be getting a good finish on the casing - need to find out what the best copper/brass finish rattle can is!

Happy to do a wee review too if appropriate Mike/Julien - sorry not sure how to tag!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Niall said:

Just saw another company are doing a PzIII/PzIV track link at 1-1 scale. The company plan to release several other similar products. Link to Youtube video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflwm5AgeEY&t=343s

Cool, maybe I could use the Johnny Cash "One Piece At A Time" approach and sneak a whole tanks worth of vaguely compatible pieces into the house without my wife noticing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cW_yHo3PY

Does look good though - I like the idea of having a few 1:1 pieces for comparison.

• Haha 1

On 27/08/2020 at 11:30, ModelMonkey said:

Biggest challenge I think will be getting a good finish on the casing - need to find out what the best copper/brass finish rattle can is!

I picked up a rattle can for mine, but in my usual manner I can't find it right now, so can't help much. :doh:

EDIT: Silly me couldn't see for looking.  There was a stealth piece of paper covering it.  Plastikote Metallic Brass.  We'll see how that works when I actually get back to doing a bit modelling.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I picked up a rattle can for mine, but in my usual manner I can't find it right now, so can't help much. :doh:

EDIT: Silly me couldn't see for looking.  There was a stealth piece of paper covering it.  Plastikote Metallic Brass.  We'll see how that works when I actually get back to doing a bit modelling.

Thanks Mike - I saw a recommendation for Molotow Metallic Gold too. I think I did see a shout out for the Plastikote one too. Need to finish my T34 before I get onto my shell though, so plenty more time for rumination and cogitation...

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Plastikote is good stuff.

I don't have room for an 88mm; instead I have a real 30mm training round from a GAU-8 Avenger canon on my desk. Probably just as lethal.

Ooh - must make for a pretty special paperweight.

And the good thing about the 88mm is it won't take much space up for me as it'll be sat on the floor in the corner. Will need to decide if I'm gonna put some weight in it. Rude not to I think.

Edited by ModelMonkey
Delayed stream of consciousness...

17 minutes ago, HL-10 said:

I painted my shell with a rattle can brass paint I got in Hobby craft.

88-shell.jpg

Nice one thanks - looks good. As usual for me I get sucked down a rabbit hole of comparisons but I would think most brass spray paints would likely do - yours certainly looks like it fits the bill and Hobbycraft is a manageable bike ride away. Hurrah!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Plastikote is good stuff.

I don't have room for an 88mm; instead I have a real 30mm training round from a GAU-8 Avenger canon on my desk. Probably just as lethal.

That depleted uranium must weight paper like little else 😜

best,

M.