A Corsair and a bit F243 (NOVO Cat No 78053) +++FINISHED+++

Johnson

I'd hoped to start this ages ago, but my last build overran a bit. So a simple OOB (Ha ha) might just get it finished before the 20th.

Dscf1447

The main Corsair build is a Novo kit recently acquired. I got some nice Techmod decals, I'll probably do JT634/13-7/P 1834 Sqn FAA, HMS Victorious. I love the camo scheme. Some Airwave brass bits for a control panel and seatbelts and coming in the post (with the new Airfix Buccaneer ^_^) a new Squadron canopy - the Novo one is terrible.

And 'the bit', which obviously isn't going to qualify for this GB, is a restoration of the FROG Corsair rescued from the Box of Doom in the loft. It missed the wires and entered the barrier on a deck landing many years ago, lost its prop and u/c. The prop must have gone overboard so I'm having to bodge one out of B-17 spares.

Cheers,

• Like 7

Most definitely Pat. 

I have at least 12 refurb projects including a Lily, Sally, Peggy, Frances, Helen, Betty, Mavis and Emily from my Japanese Harem - thats why I have several sheets of Hinomarus in stock! The land planes need new undercarriages and all need fettling, repainting and new decs. Then there are my German wrecks - Do217E, Hs 126, Ju87B and my Italian SM79 - enough for at least 2 refurb GB I would have thought, but not this year!

Pete

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Apologies Charlie didn't mean to hijack the GB 

Not at all Pat! I was musing over what my box of horrors might contribute. An EE Lightning (FROG I think, but so old I'm not entirely sure) which might look good in NMF.

Made a start on the Corsair. Looks OK. Bunging it together, really no time for niceties. If I am going to take a bit more time, it will be reserved for the paint finish. A few nasty sink marks on the rear fuselage caused by some weird internal mouldings, what they might be for I have no idea! I would post a pic - but must get on!

Cheers,

• Like 5

• Johnson changed the title to A Corsair and a bit (NOVO Cat No 78053)

Hi Charlie,

Frog only issued 2 EE Lightnings AFAIK. The very early P1A prototype which is one of the solid cockpit and wheel bay kits and is rare and perhaps valuable, and the F6 shared with Hasegawa, and that has overwing ferry tanks so should be relatively easy to identify.

Pete

• Like 1

Am I reading this right, have we now seen another late GB WIP start? Charlie’s confidence must be sky high after his great Sea Fury build! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

the F6 shared with Hasegawa, and that has overwing ferry tanks so should be relatively easy to identify

I'll see if I can dig it out and have a look Pete. Doesn't have the overwing tanks but then I'm not a fan of them as I think it spoils the lines. I probably won't use them on my Airfix when (if!) I get round to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

another late GB WIP start?

Yes, but time... time :waiting:

We've got friends staying at the weekend  - but we are going to the FAA Museum at Yeovilton on Monday! :yahoo:

Then a week in Wales (of all places) :oops::sorry: @PeterB just before the end of the GB. I don't think taking my modelling stuff with me is part of the her plan.

So, going to be burning the midnight oil.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
SNAFU
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's Ok Charlie,

Being from Yorkshire I don't know any Welsh swear words - Adrian might as I gather he is from the Principality! I agree about the Lightning overwing ferry tanks.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Off to Pembrokeshire at the end of next week, lovely part of the world. As is Yorkshire! but we don't get up there so often now. Our last visit in 2017 involved a 10 hour journey on the M5 / M6. Don't travel on a Friday.

The Corsair is going together nicely, what a great little kit. The fit of parts - there aren't that many - is almost perfect, and the detail doesn't seem to have suffered that much being a Novo moulding (just the canopy). Pics shortly I hope.

• Like 3

Build update...

FAA Corsair IIs had 8" chopped of the wings to make them fit in the hanger deck. It also improved their landing characteristics, before they tended to float when landing. So 2.8mm off the ends of the wings. Simple. They also lacked the front aerial mast, so that's gone as well. As I said, it's a lovely little kit, great fit and a wealth of (raised) panel line detail, whether they're accurate I have no idea and I'd better not check!

Dscf1448

I knew I'd drift further away from an OOB build, but I'm trying to control myself. Seeing as I intend to ditch the Novo canopy and replace it with a Squadron vacform, I needed a bit of detail in the cockpit. The dials on the Airwaves instrument panel have disappeared behind the gloss acrylic, ah well. An old seat hastily modified with seatbelts, a throttle quadrant and a joy stick. Gun sight later. Should be enough.

Dscf1452

A really enjoyable build - after the last one which did get a bit intense. But is anyone else getting 'modelling neck'? I think the pain in my neck / upper back may be a result of too many hours hunched over the modelling desk. Ho hum, only a week to go (last week of the GB we're on holiday in Wales).

Anyone happen to know what the colour of the wheel wells were? Interior green or sky? And the inside of the engine cowling? If I can get a look at the Corsair at Yeovilton on Monday that may answer my questions - but restored planes are often wrong as well :unsure:.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Hi Charlie,

I have seen pics of them with both front and rear aerial masts and was going to do that on my Airfix RN conversion, if I ever get round to finishing it. I think that would only apply to the Corsair I and II (F4U-1 and -1A/1D) and Corsair III (Brewster F3A-1D) and perhaps very early production Corsair IV according to Kagero. Anyway, like the Hellcat the RN may well have removed the masts at some stage and replaced them with a whip aerial.

There is a question mark over exactly what version Frog modeled as I think I mentioned on Steve's build (or was it John) some months ago. It is claimed to be a Corsair IV (F4U-6 later known as AU-1 or FG-1D - unclear  depending on which source you look at) but the packaging says it can also be built as an F4U-1D, and the Cocardes site say it is not a Corsair IV - but what the heck - who cares! JT634 was allocated to a Corsair II/F4U-1D according to Robertson's "British Military Aircraft Serials"

Incidentally Cocardes say it was originally moulded in 1971 and reboxed as let as 1977 being the last Frog kit produced - which may or may not be correct. Might explain why it seems a good quality moulding. I would go with interior green.

Enyoy your trip.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2019 at 6:43 PM, PeterB said:

Frog only issued 2 EE Lightnings AFAIK. The very early P1A prototype which is one of the solid cockpit and wheel bay kits and is rare and perhaps valuable, and the F6 shared with Hasegawa, and that has overwing ferry tanks so should be relatively easy to identify.

Eventually, around 1974, FROG created their own EE Lightning kit. It was very similar to the Hasegawa kit they previously reboxed but was it's own distinct tooling. This should be obvious since the FROG kit has appeared in FROGspawn and Revell boxes while Hasegawa has continued to produce their kit. Hasegawa even updated the kit at some point.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

The Frog Cocardes site rather confusingly says that Revell have released both the Hasegawa original (0-4301) and the later Frog mouldings (0-4131) but I take your point about "spawn". Both versions appear to have the overwing ferry tank option.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

23 hours ago, PeterB said:

I have seen pics of them with both front and rear aerial masts and was going to do that on my Airfix RN conversion, if I ever get round to finishing it.

Enyoy your trip.

Thanks Pete.

I was surprised when I came across a pic of a Corsair II without the front mast. Not the same plane as the one I'm modelling, but same era and carrier, so close enough I reckon. And the same website has KD244/X, one of the Corsairs depicted by the FROG kit also lacking the front mast - and 8" of the wingtips.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great Charlie, great work on the cockpit.

Thanks Chris, just enough in the cockpit I think to make it look OK with an open canopy.

• Like 1

It's gonna look ace Charlie I'm sure.  I almost bought the Revell Corsair but read there were some shortcomings with it's shape so held back and bought the Swords AD-4 AEW Skyraider instead, the Corsair will have to wait a while (bought a locomotive from a Model Railway show yesterday so I definitely have to be good now otherwise SWMBO will have my guts for garters !!!).

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

• Haha 1

Hi Charlie,

It looks a lot better than the ancient Airfix version which is worse than the Shackleton for rivets. I suppose I should have rubbed them down when I cropped the wings and cut off the bomb pylons under the centre section, but anyway, having seen 4 being built I have now finished my RN version.

29 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I have now finished my RN version.

I reckon you might be able to sneak a pic in Pete, purely for comparative purposes... :whistle:

The build is going OK. First coat of paint (EDSG) yesterday and hope to get the Dark Slate Grey on this evening. But lots of masking before that and I'm all out of vim and vigor having had our 3 1/2 year old grandson round all day.

But...

SWMBO unexpectedly said 'why don't you take a model with you when we go on holiday to Wales next week'. Blimey! :yahoo:. She must be up to something, or maybe she's been looking at the weather forecast?

Seriously though, what with the dog and all the paraphernalia we usually take away, we'd probably need a bigger car to fit in all the modelling stuff to do something properly, but I can take the FROG Corsair and finish the decals without rushing them. And maybe another kit to make a start.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Ok Charlie,

DSC01972-crop

I painted it in "ETO" US ANA equivalents and I believe it might have taken part ion one of the Tirpitz raids before transferring to the Far East.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Ok Charlie,

DSC01972-crop

I painted it in "ETO" US ANA equivalents and I believe it might have taken part ion one of the Tirpitz raids before transferring to the Far East.

Give me the serial and I'll try to find out for you..

That looks really great Pete, I'm getting back into rivets! I've just acquired an Airfix Firefly which is covered in them, though it is a mint Red Stripe edition and is destined for my 'collection' rather than stash so won't be built. I'm going to have to find another one to go with the Sea Fury!

On Monday I had an early birthday treat and went to the FAA Museum at Yeovilton. I haven't been there since I was a kid - it was brilliant! I cannot recommend it highly enough. The ticket prices are reduced if you buy online, and even further if you're old enough (only 1 of us was). So saw the restored (to original WW2 colours) Corsair, a Sea Fury (of course) and all the rest. Great day. There is a reserve collection day coming up when you can see planes not in the main museum, so an early Christmas outing there.

I'd better get on with the FROG Corsair and post a few pics, or I'll be in trouble... :unsure:

Cheers,

• Like 4