"STUKA ZU FUSS"-Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf. D mit Schwerer Wurfrahmen 40

4dxxPCb.jpg

Afternoon all....been some time since I posted anything. Lost momentum on many projects -Elephant, Matilda, Centaur, Steyer...etc,etc..

So thought a build could get me back into the swing of things. Picked this up at Telford couple of years ago for a tenner. An old kit from 1991 and shows its age. My plan though is to expand this into a more extensive upgrading with the addition of many details omitted by Tamiya back in those days. I have in my stock pile two upgrade sets from Aber Ausf D and Eduard Ausf C that I will use to replace or introduce the detail missing. Additionally, all the rubber torsion bar stops need adding along with a lot of detail on the exhaust etc, etc. The one thing with these old Tamiya kits is that theyr are cheap and can be seen as a "Blank Canvas" for detailing......:)

So let  the battle begin....here;s where I stand at present and hopefully today I'll get a lot done on the chassis and understructure. 

All the best.....:yes:

fzVSzJS.jpg

And here's the PE from both sets on their cutting mats - (some spare floor tile)

cgypNa7.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone.......apologies for the lack of updates on this one.......been some hectic last couple of weeks and just spent the time I got working on the halftrack. I'm pretty much about 75% done and now moving on to the rocket sections. The interior is all but done, just need some final items here and there......so off to the PE extra's box to see what I can find.

Did quite a bit of scratch building on this project, even though I had two set's of PE for an Ausf C and D. Needed to scratch build

1 - MP40 strap and barrel spring clamp

2 - Seating at the rear now with wood in place of the "leather" kit parts

3 - Additional armour plate on the internal walls

4 - Rear door opening mechanism (still needs the spring detail at the bottom)

5 - Both seats have wire frames to replace moulded detail.

6 - Head protection pads above both drivers seats.

On the outside I also plunged into some additional detail with

1 - Rubber impact units above the torsion arms.

2 - Rear track tensioner piece

3 - Pneumatic valve at the rear next to the tow hook

4 - Steering column and connection piece to main steering rack.

5 - Replaced the locks and padlocks on side storage units (just finalising them)

6 - Replaced all the bolt heads along the main cabin area,  as they were next to invisible on the kit.

I still have planned to build a complete new front and rear MG armour screen and mounts. Saw some as after market at £15 so decided I'd build them instead. Hopefully over the weekend I'll tie off some loose ends and stick with the rocket mounts and wood crates.

Y701UVj.jpg

JFGoesF.jpg

0I5FXca.jpg

XBGGO9R.jpg

4PiJUid.jpg

bRO41eE.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9

Thanks Robert.

It's been a nice project. There's one thing I've cme to the conclusion on........old Tamiya kits are the best subjects for PE and scratch building, because they have so many omissions and simple detail. Sometimes when you PE upgrade a Dragon kit, it's seems that half the PE frets are un-used as the plastic is so good now on kits.

To use up all the left over PE from the two set's I picked up another Tamiya Sd.Kfz 251/1 ....the mistakenly named "Hanomag" from 1973-88.

Thanks again Robert

These old Tamiya kits scrub up well with a little work and this is no exception.

Really like what your doing with this and looking forward to seeing some paint to makem all that detail pop!

Roger

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, Jasper dog said:

Great work going on, looking forward to seeing it brought to life with some paintwork.:thumbsup:

Cheers 

Darryl

On 10/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, Hamden said:

These old Tamiya kits scrub up well with a little work and this is no exception.

Really like what your doing with this and looking forward to seeing some paint to makem all that detail pop!

Roger

On 10/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, robgizlu said:

Very impressive

Rob

On 10/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, Bullbasket said:

Great detail work on the interior.

John.

15 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looking good!

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I can see this being an epic build, looking at the ingredients I would say so 👍

Thanks Chaps.....:yes:

Managed to get some primer on the interior the wheels and rocket and crates over the weekend. I'll try and post some pics in the week on progress so far. My plan is to do the 251 in Dunkel Gelb with faded white wash with the rocket frames in factory issued clean Dunkel Gelb. Still have to find myself some cheap tracks for a 251....Magic or Modelkasten....I have a set of Friuls, but saving them for another project I have planned next year.

Thanks again....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Major_Error said:

Nice!

I have a quite similar model, sdkfz 251/1, in line. My great plan is to paint it in "African desert" camo and put it with a Nazi-Mercedes.

I like the add-on's you have!

8-)

Thanks Major..........might want to check if this weapon was issued for use in North Africa. I think it was initially used in the east, and maybe not in time for the surrender during May '43 in Tunisia.

Here's an update. Mostly of the primer done in places and the interior ready for top coats and weathering. I also dug out some parts to build a Anhanger 51 for personal gear and ammo for the crew. The main box is a Hauler product and the undercarriage is from the Dragon Flak I use on the back of my Zugkraftwagen. The Hauler parts needed a lot of additional detail via some old PE and a new hinge for the main top door (workable).

Here's the main 251.....looking better now all in the same colour.....:D

SU4yJyZ.jpg

z2Kuq7i.jpg

Upper hull interior.....

oSWj0Qt.jpg

HgvH729.jpg

.....and here's the towed Anhanger......

wYI7w3E.jpg

I had to rebuild the lid as the Hauler part was deformed, being cast resin beyond repair; even heating in hot water.....

JzSL2Sd.jpg

5qWR22q.jpg

Anyway.....maybe do all the final priming and the ammo trailer, and then on to the interior Dunkelgelb...

cheers all....:yes:

Redcoat...:D

• Like 6

A 251, i'm in. Lovely work on this, really nice what you have done with the seats. And the trailer is a nice addition, not seen that with a 251 before. Looking forward to more.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, Hamden said:

Coming together very nicely, looking forward to seeing it in colour!

Roger

On 10/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, Bullbasket said:

No being a fan Of German armour, I tend to skip through the posts, but I have to say, that trailer is a little gem.

John. 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:36 AM, phildagreek said:

Looking good, not really my thing but this is very nice work.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Bish said:

A 251, i'm in. Lovely work on this, really nice what you have done with the seats. And the trailer is a nice addition, not seen that with a 251 before. Looking forward to more.

Thanks chap's for the positive comments. Not sure yet John n' Bish on the trailer going with this 251......I might mate it up with the 20mm FLAK on the Zug'..........have to see how the project goes along. As regards the first colour, here she is........managed to finish the interior minus the general equipment. I'm sorry lad's, I buttoned up the top and bottom before I took a pic of the front cab interior. Did the best I could. Anyway, here's some pics. Next step, exterior colour.

YAlKlzw.jpg

ng6yrTh.jpg

I still have to source some clear acrylic square rod to make some replacement vision blocks for the racks each side of the hull.

8KEPMw2.jpg

LuSz2fF.jpg

KNDjPjV.jpg

XHEzYNl.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good.

Thanks Phil.....:yes:...managed to get the base colour on also today. Just deciding on next step's, and working on the rocket racks and wheels. 

I might leave it only as a plain late war Dunkelgelb, in being low pigment light rather than the early darker shade.

MRtv2jf.jpg

• Like 5

Great work. The interior looks great, really nicely weathered and the wooden benches have come out really well. I would stick with the light DG, I always think it looks much better on German vehicles than the camo or early darker shade.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 5:38 AM, bigfoot said:

Great work. The interior looks great, really nicely weathered and the wooden benches have come out really well. I would stick with the light DG, I always think it looks much better on German vehicles than the camo or early darker shade.

Thanks mate :yes:....decided to go with light late war DK, with a very faded winter white camo......

On 10/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, Sunny said:

great work.  What technique do you use to make the handles?

Hi Sunny...cheers....do you mean the long grab handles on the top edge of the main compartment, or the handle under the MG mount at the front. If it's the main long grab handles......that's if I can remember....:think: .7mm wire and 8 brackets made from similar thickness styrene card, drilled and threaded onto the wire.... I found that the PE one's were way too thin based on research material I had. I used one as a template, and made new one's. The one under the MG is .45mm wire, bent with pliers.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:55 AM, Jasper dog said:

Coming along a treat, that interior looks tremendous.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl......:yes:

And now for an update. Completed the final pre-shading and modulation. The rocket racks are done. I painted them separately to the main body, (mixed separate colours etc, not the same mix set as the vehicle), as I want them to look like an addition to what will be a 251 that's been in field some time. They won't have the white winter wash either. The rockets themselves are done also...photo to follow, once they are off the drying rack, along with the launch/shipping crates.

deRGHAt.jpg

The wheels are dry fitted, and no outer set at present. I have a set of Modelkasten tracks on their way. Next step, decals for the Wiking Division's Panzer Grenadier Regiment Germania in Poland summer '44.

Dj48Dkc.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8