1/48 Hobbycraft Hawk 75 Ilmavoimat Sussu

Rich B

After spending some quality time in my happy place last night, I will rejoin the fray with this kit.

IMG-0585.jpg

Hopefully the modelling gods have been appeased and this will be more successful.

Time to cut plastic.:pilot:

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 4

Spent the first week beavering away on the cockpit. Started off removing the raised detail on the cockpit walls. Had the Legend P-36 resin cockpit to start from, however they too had fallen victim to short cockpititis. Added a 5mm wide strip of styrene to get the floor down to the proper depth. This meant rebuilding the seat support frame. After much trial fitting and sanding, I think we are ready for priming and painting.

IMG-0586.jpg

IMG-0587.jpg

IMG-0588.jpg

IMG-0589.jpg

May not be 100% accurate for a Finnish Hawk, but does look busier than the kit cockpit.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 5

Time to add an update before heading out of town for the long weekend. (Thanksgiving weekend here. 🦃)

Just before installing the cockpit I read that the fuel tank opening in the aft bulkhead had been covered with armour plate so I filled that in before proceeding.  Cockpit is now in and the fuselage closed up. Scratch built a new gun sight support structure as the kit piece was just a bit small. The holes for the ring and bead sight were filled in. The kit holes are on the centreline when they should be offset to right. The kit supplied pieces are over-sized and will be replaced by some PE. The vents were also opened on the fuselage side

IMG-0594.jpg

IMG-0595.jpg

IMG-0596.jpg

The wing fairing had access panels on both the right and left hand sides. They were for refueling points and only present on the left side so the right were filled.

IMG-0597.jpg

The H-stabs had no panel lines on the fixed portions so they were scribed in.

IMG-0598.jpg

The canvas cover for the tail wheel strut was added with a bit of Apoxie putty. A little filler and sanding was required to fairing the insert into the fuselage.

IMG-0599.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Rich B
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Did some engine work this week. The kit parts (on the left) were replaced with a Quickboost engine (on the right) with push-rods and wiring added. About 2mm of sheet stock was added to get the face of the engine's nose bowl slightly proud of the cowl face so the props won't rub on the cowl or gun tubes.

IMG-0600.jpg

Engine panted and installed on fuselage.

IMG-0604.jpg

The cowl rear edge needed to be thinned to slide over the engine. The molded gun tubes on the cowl bulges were cut-off and replaced with brass tube,

IMG-0603.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in gentlemen. Production slowed a bit this past week.

I did  scribe in new ammo doors, gun access doors and casing ejection ports on the wings. Installing the wings revealed the worst fit on the whole kit where the wing leading edge meets the fuselage. Filled the gap with some styrene strip and sanded to shape. A little bit of putty was applied for a final blending in.

IMG-0611.jpg

While working in that area, I noticed that the airframe I'm building didn't have the shrouded exhaust as supplied in the kit. While contemplating how to make the exhausts,  I noticed a section of left over sprue in the parts bin that was the right diameter and bend to suit. With a little shaping the sprue was drilled out and fit into place. I had already started painting the cowl separate from the airframe  when I noticed this detail and had to attach it to ensure the exhausts were properly positioned.  The ports for the exhausts in the cowl had to be enlarged to accept the new unshrouded pipes.

IMG-0610.jpg

Just about ready to paint the rest it.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 3

Had to paint the background disc for the toned down national markings on my subject. The kit only has the white discs. Also added the main gear, brass wing guns and brass/resin pitot tube. Had to scratch one of the small doors on the main gear. While thinning them to get a proper fit, one launched itself into the ether. I still haven't heard it land. Next up is a gloss coat before putting on the few decals.

IMG-0616.jpg

IMG-0617.jpg

IMG-0618.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Rich B
  • Like 7