Hasegawa 1/48 car door Typhoon desert scheme

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 car door Typhoon. This was a long build for me. I had lots of problems when I used the metal cannons. I suggest only using the

gun barrels. It is a nightmare trying to fix the wing when you remove the kit canons.

It isn't my best build that's for sure. However, this is one of the few desert Typhoons tested by an Australian squadron, so I have made it look

sand blown from the prop wash and dusty. 

I had a lot of changing light when photographing it as you will see by the shadows.

Typhoon F3

Typhoon F2

Typhoon F4

Typhoon F1

Typhoon F5

Typhoon F6

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That’s come up beautifully Greg and I like the dust effect which adds a lot of realism to the overall finish. I agree with Dennis, those Desert colours really suit the Typhoon and are always great to see together. It’s probably a good reminder to me that I actually don’t have a finished kit in these colours, so really ought to think about something suitable. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. This wasn't an easy build for me. Took more than a year, hence the grubby cockpit glass. The metal guns were a real problem.  I lost one of them into the wing at one point and had to spit it to get the gun back. This messed things up a bit. The fuselage joint took awhile to get acceptable.

I had another problem with one of the landing gear when a toothpick I was using to support the plane for painting snapped off. It left a bit inside the leg support hole that refused to come out. In the end I had to chip it out a bit at a time, resulting in major damage to the support hole.  I ended up fixing it with epoxy putty.

You will notice the short exhaust stain. This is deliberate because most of the photos I saw it was like that.

In the end it was good to get the model in the cabinet where it looks good to me.  One of the advantages of having aging eyesight. 

27 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

One of the advantages of having aging eyesight. 

I think I’ve got some of those too, probably the best products one could have in their modelling tool arsenal! 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think I’ve got some of those too, probably the best products one could have in their modelling tool arsenal! 

Cheers.. Dave 

At 66.5 years, one of my most important modeling tools is a round, lighted magnifier light. 😀 It seems I spend most of my modeling building time with my chin against that light.    Funny how I don't remember needing to do that so much 20 years ago...😉

Now, if someone would only invent "reading glasses" for one's hands, I'd be good for a few more years (he says as he reaches down to pick up the same damned dropped part yet again...😁)

• Haha 3

I had a similar (frustrating) experience when trying to fit Master Model metal barrels to my 1/72 Typhoon.

I have not seen many Tiffie's in desert tan colors, so yours is a refreshing change from the usual greys'n'greens.

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2019 at 01:19, Gary Brantley said:

Now, if someone would only invent "reading glasses" for one's hands, I'd be good for a few more years (he says as he reaches down to pick up the same damned dropped part yet again...😁)

I know what you mean. My tremor gets so bad sometimes parts literally jump out of my hands.  Also I fine it hard to hold onto a part when I have to hold it lightly, even with tweezers.  This is part of the reason it takes me so long to finish a model. The tension can get to much and i need to have a break.

11 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I would be proud of of this.  Do you apply any weathering? 

Yes I started with a black base which you can see a hint of. Dark brown panel liner and then used Mig Oilbrusher Buff and Dusty earth to create the dusty effect, which is more obvious in reality than here. 

I dusted aluminium paint onto the leading edges of the wings and tail planes that are in the prop wash area. I also added a few scuff  marks here and there. 

• Thanks 1