Tupolev Tu-4 exterior finish .

Arthur Driscol

2 hours ago, Arthur Driscol said:

Good day all ,

Were Tupolev Tu-4's painted with aluminium lacquer overall or mostly unpainted metal ?

Thanks ,

Art

I suspect initially,  unpainted metal,(as they were copying the US spec)   but then a switch to aluminium lacquer,  which was VVS standard finish. 

@Massimo Tessitori  may know more.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Ask @Aardvark, he is one of our let you "Real" Russian experts(he is Russian) 

@JPuente54 wrong word in quotation marks! Correctly the sentence should be written like this:

"Ask @Aardvark ,

he is one of our let you Real Russian "experts"(he is Russian) " !

😁😁😁

I don't know about Tu-4, because my interest jet fighter....where Tu-4, and where jet fighter?

But, Tu-4 was almost metrics

copy B-29, so technology panel covered B-29 in theory probably used also on Tu-4.

On Russian segment internet  was free download Technical Manuals on Tu-4...four or five book, maybe in this manual have answer on this question....but I   did not download and did not  read  this Technical Manual on Tu-4, therefore, I will not be able to answer Your question now.

🤗

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

@Aardvark, thank you for the correction, I am in error. I figured that you may know the answer; but, if you don't because of the time period is too early or other; then you don't. My apologies for any and all errors written; they are all mine.

Joe

• Like 1

Hi,

for what I remember to have read, Soviet planes of late '40s and '50s were initially finished in natural metal  with a layer of trasparent protection; then, as soon as some trace of corrosion appeared, they were painted with the same product plus aluminium powder.

Eventually you could check photos, they should allow to distinguish observing the visibility of rivets and differences between panels.

Regards

Massimo

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

@Aardvark, thank you for the correction, I am in error. I figured that you may know the answer; but, if you don't because of the time period is too early or other; then you don't. My apologies for any and all errors written; they are all mine

@JPuente54 in my posting was sarcasm. Because I do not consider myself an expert. In my understanding, an expert is a person who has access to archives, historical photographs, have collection technical manual om object, publishes books, articles, dissertations about object, for a long time exploited or technically serviced some object, or was related to its design or production, e.t.c.

Since I do not meet these criteria, I cannot consider myself an expert. Only this I mean.

4 hours ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

they were painted with the same product plus aluminium powder.

Massimo, You painting any thing 

"clear varnish plus aluminium powder"?  I paint!

In Soviet Union aluminum and bronze powder with instructions were sold in stores.The instructions suggested mixing aluminum or bronze powder with any transparent varnish purchased separately, usually I came across НЦ-222 (NTse-222 - nitrocellulose varnish -222) , in the proportion of 7% powder to 93% varnish. It turned out the usual silver paint. It was no transparent varnish, it was silver paint!

If you look at Russian military textbooks on aircraft repair, you will see exactly the same ratio of powder to varnish as I wrote.

In the mid-90s, aluminum powder  was banned from sale, since it was rumored that it could be used as a component for the production of explosives by terrorists.

4 hours ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

differences between panels

Does not mean anything.  The plant is usually collected in units.  A wing can be made by one workshop, fin by another, a third fuselage, etc.  Moreover, in the workshop making the fuselage, it can be assembled from sections -  nose section, centroplan section, tail section. Each section can be painted separately. The percentage of aluminum powder does not have strict regulation, if I'm not mistaken it can be from 5% to 7% . If nose section was painting varnish with 7% aluminum powder, but centroplan varnish with 5% aluminum powder, e.t.c....you have panel effects.

B.R.

Serge 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:42 PM, Aardvark said:

Massimo, You painting any thing 

"clear varnish plus aluminium powder"?  I paint!

In Soviet Union aluminum and bronze powder with instructions were sold in stores.The instructions suggested mixing aluminum or bronze powder with any transparent varnish purchased separately, usually I came across НЦ-222 (NTse-222 - nitrocellulose varnish -222) , in the proportion of 7% powder to 93% varnish. It turned out the usual silver paint. It was no transparent varnish, it was silver paint!

If you look at Russian military textbooks on aircraft repair, you will see exactly the same ratio of powder to varnish as I wrote.

Sorry, byt my memory not so good as was early! 

I found photo Soviet aluminum paint on Russian internet auction "Meshok(bag)":

https://meshok.net/item/118025285_Алюминиевая_краска_СССР_винтаж_Запечатанная_коробка_Недорого_В_коллекцию

118025285.jpg

I painted just like that, only dissolved it in the NTcse-222 varnish and not varnish in what was in the box.

as written on the box, you need to dissolve 11 grams of powder in 100 grams of varnish:

118025285.jpg

thus the proportion 89:11 and not 93:7 .... after almost 40 years my memory was 4% wrong....

As interesting:

118025285.jpg

Warning stencil - paint  toxic, fire hazard, explosive.

So she looked ready:

3ce0c7b78f8b24d85de035047b6d137d5e185f3a

Photo from other Russian site:

https://darudar.org/gift/2574407/

On 10/2/2019 at 7:42 PM, Aardvark said:

In the mid-90s, aluminum powder  was banned from sale, since it was rumored that it could be used as a component for the production of explosives by terrorists.

still being produced:

img5861_41839_big.jpg

probably  rumors about "terrorists and explosives"

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1