F-84 To Bentwaters Cold War Museum

Julien

The BCWM has now received it's 9th airframe in the form of a Republic F-84F Thunderstreak. The aircraft, 51-7133 was transported to the museum on September 24 and 25th from the RAF Museum at Cosford where the aircraft was in storage for almost 20 years. We are planning on a restoration and then a repaint of the airframe into the colours of an 81st FBW aircraft. We will publish more images of the aircraft soon, but you can read more about this aircraft's history on our website.

http://www.bcwm.org.uk/museum-aircraft/

70731933_2594405917265735_36326071891866

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple photos from my slide scans, of the one that was at Southend in mid 1970s' in Belgian Air Force markings.  Could it be the same one??

z4NYMu.jpg

fwLfQ9.jpg

4 minutes ago, Julien said:

Yes its the same aircraft. Has been in storage at Cosford for 25+ years

God Lord - that's been on the shelf of doom longer than some of mine then.

Julien - what the type of work that's required on her.  I assume a paint strip down and repaint but does the airframe need any work and if so what?  I just never thought about what went into a restoration before 

• Haha 1

Potted History

Constructed as a F-84F. Circa 1952

Taken on Strength/Charge with the United States Air Force with s/n 52-7133. 1955

Taken on Strength/Charge with the Force Arienne Belge with s/n FU-6.

To Historic Aircraft Museum, Southend.14 May 1974

To Medway Royal Aeronautical Society, Rochester Airport, Kent. Restored. Markings Applied: 6771 In USAF Thunderbirds colours.

March 1990 To Royal Air Force Museum, Cosford, Cosford, Shropshire, England.

2019 To Bentwaters Cold War Museum

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

God Lord - that's been on the shelf of doom longer than some of mine then.

Julien - what the type of work that's required on her.  I assume a paint strip down and repaint but does the airframe need any work and if so what?  I just never thought about what went into a restoration before 

Yes its been in store for a while. The aircraft has to be assessed, the good thing is that it has been stored inside, but there is some corrosion which will need to be dealt with. Proper survey etc still needs to be done and then we will go from there.

Will be repainted as an aircraft from the 81st FBW but which Sqn etc I dont know, trustees make those kind of decisions. Will take a while as we cant start straight away as have other projects as well. 

Still really good to have this aircraft, and a type which served at Bentwaters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The fin is unbolted to get the stab out.

ok good, looked like it was hacked off. Probably still a good airframe?aside from some corrosion.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This museum just looks better and better! Fantastic effort by everyone involved, and I love how the aircraft are being restored in authentic colours too. Was hoping to go this July when we're in Suffolk, is it only Sundays it's open though?

Wouldn't BCWM be able to take the Victor? https://www.forces.net/news/johnny-vegas-pulls-out-running-raf-marhams-gate-guardian

Edited by Lord Riot

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

This museum just looks better and better! Fantastic effort by everyone involved, and I love how the aircraft are being restored in authentic colours too. Was hoping to go this July when we're in Suffolk, is it only Sundays it's open though?

Wouldn't BCWM be able to take the Victor? https://www.forces.net/news/johnny-vegas-pulls-out-running-raf-marhams-gate-guardian

You got a spare quarter million quid for logistics and restoration? Oh, and we would need a hangar and manpower.

http://www.bcwm.org.uk/visitor-information/

On 02/03/2020 at 01:43, Lord Riot said:

Museum is open 1st and 3rd Sundays of the Month + bank holidays From Easter through to October.

As for the getting the Victor, thats a no, too much money, too much work, too little space.

Julien

• Like 1