1964 - The Yellowjacks final season

Dave_R

Hi All,

1964 was the final year of the Yellowjacks Display Team.

The Yellowjacks became the Red Arrows in January 1965.

Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat.

vxNyUJqZFsDjj9upamYa_tlpoC0lIvjlKeWBsMsI

_nLleSzaXh14PZ9tyPDDNghxN44w5yoCl39O-j4X

Ug_NrRDwCGm_IDMBaH27nNH9GHQw57iPiJM0pvXo

S&M decals.

oLG1svPyaxgLCK1l4nPs6Q8ddAlJxbE52Cyeff0E

Apart from my birth and the Gulf of Tonkin incident not much happened in 1964, people probably needed a break after Cuban missiles and presidential assassinations.

Dave.

• Like 4

This is 2nd 1/48 Gnat being built on here but there’s always room for more, especially a cool one in Yellowjack colours. I have the same kit and will look forward to seeing how you go tackling yours. Thanks for joining and I hope you have plenty of fun on the way. 

... and great video link. Thanks!

Cheers.. (another) Dave 

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I finally got round to working on this. 

Some cockpit details:-

49018196032_7ae6620065_c.jpg

49017472788_77d3a73ffb_b.jpg

49018196307_d0ff21e50e_b.jpg

...and the all big bits are together.

49017720313_bbe0ef5548_o.jpg

49018467887_281e5d0d75_o.jpg

A very easy kit to build with a few areas that need filling and sanding.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 5

Hi All,

It's ready for masking-up and painting.

49028348882_1d04767f25_o.jpg

49028137976_0501b5025f_o.jpg

I'm going spend a bit time working out the best way to paint it yellow.  So far I've tested Humbrol acrylic 24 and it's too transparent.  Next I think I'm going try car paints.  I've tested a car primer (from Poundland! - £1 for a 300ml can) and that's worked OK, I'm hoping I can find a suitable yellow spray can from Halfords.

Dave.

• Like 6

Looking great Dave. May I suggest you use a solid primer coat first before attacking it with Yellow. I personally use white, however I've also heard that a black primer (believe it or not) is also a good base for yellow.  I've not tried black as yet, however have had good success with a white base. My research also tells me that these Yellowjacks were also painted in a Lemon shade of yellow, so perhaps Humbrol 99 with a good gloss clear coat may be a better shade than Humbrol's 24. 

Cheers and nice seeing this one coming together.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been testing various ways of getting a good yellow finish using the paints I have available.  So it's going to be Poundland grey primer followed by Humbrol white and then Humbrol Trainer Yellow.  Ideally I would have used white primer and tried other yellow options, but I'm stuck using what I've got on hand.

Poundland grey primer* -

49089629372_dd3710e7a2_o.jpg

49089421471_febcd1019d_o.jpg

- next Humbrol white.

Dave.

* Poundland primer only costs £1 a can (who'd a thunk it).  It's OK if used carefully - but never spray it in the house the fumes are very strong.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, Dave_R said:

o far I've tested Humbrol acrylic 24 and it's too transparent. 

No picture available, but I found that very thin multiple coats of the acrylic supplied with my Lidl Gnat last year worked OK, That is without a primer as I have nowhere to use spray during old months.  However I seem to recall it took 7 or 8 coats! I am repeating the technique with my Blackburn Shark TT build in the Floatplanes GB - there I am on coat 2.

6 hours ago, Dave_R said:

and then Humbrol Trainer Yellow.

On 09/11/2019 at 05:37, Rabbit Leader said:

My research also tells me that these Yellowjacks were also painted in a Lemon shade of yellow, so perhaps Humbrol 99

Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow is definitely too dark.

The IPMS(UK) Evolution of the Red Arrows special states there is evidence that the paint supplied for the Yellowjacks was BS381c:355 Lemon, but that the appearance was somewhat lighter and brighter, similar to BS381c:309 Canary Yellow.

Airfix provide Humbrol 69 Yellow with their 1:72 Yellowjacks starter set, lighter than Humbrol 24 but still  a little on the dark side when compared to photo's.

Our club did a group build of the Yellowjacks in flight a few years back (using the old Airfix 1:72 Gnat), we used Humbrol 99 Lemon Yellow as recommended above by Dave, this compares more favourably with photos

• Like 1

Hi All.

Sad to say I'm not going to be able to finish this - I've been stricken by a nasty case of man-flu.  It's been pretty bad for the last few days, but I hopefully it's getting better now.

I'll carry on with it in the KUTA thread soon.

Dave,

No worries Dave. We all get caught out with sickness, excess work, family commitments or just dips in mojo levels so  don’t be too worried. Will be good to catch up with this in the KUTA. Thanks for your participation and I hope you’ve enjoyed your time. 

Cheers.. Dave