White decals - anyone out there who can print for me?

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

I am looking for anyone who would print a set of serials for me in white.  I have struggled to get a good looking application using minute lettering sets but I just cant get alignment correct. What I need is a very small set. It is lettering and numbering in Amarillo font, in white, with the overall length of each full serial being 6mm. My very small and my old hands and eyes just cant hack it! Any ideas?

Thank you.

Martin

I put a few names here in case these or others have any idea -  @Giorgio N @Terry1954 @bentwaters81tfw @spaddad @Courageous ......

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Martin,

with all else failing, I'd suggest a professional printing service. I have one relatively local to me, you may find one local to you.

Personally I'm moving towards these as they can give me higher quality compared to the decals I print at home at prices that are now becoming more and more interesting. I will keep printing my own decals for sure, but certain things are really beyond what I can do

• Like 1

Hmm, tricky. I cant help with the printing myself, but Giorgio's suggestion is a good one.

That's an unusual font for serial numbers, any clues as to what they are for?

Terry

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

any clues as to what they are for?

Bolivian serials on the fin., Terry. 

Edit: Sorry, I meant "Amarillo USAF" ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 minute ago, bhouse said:

As well as the very flamboyant and cursive Amarillo, there is a very conventional font called Amarillo USAF which is widely used for USAF serials.

Hmmmm..... that is, of course, what I mean ;)

Thanks Brian

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

As well as the very flamboyant and cursive Amarillo, there is a very conventional font called Amarillo USAF which is widely used for USAF serials.

Ah, sorry I wasn't aware!

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hmmmm..... that is, of course, what I mean ;)

Sorry Martin, I just looked it up and found the more flamboyant one!

I'll check out my quite extensive decal bank and let you know if I have anything that might help. 6mm in total length for the serial you say? Any idea how high the individual digits are? I have a drafting pen and white ink, you never know..............

Terry

16 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

and found the more flamboyant one!

Thanks Terry. I may have a solution now! Save your quil and ink for the flamoyant text! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would have said Fantasy Printshop.

ah ha... great idea! I have one solution, which GiorgioN is helping me with but the FPS coiuld be another great source.

Thank you

If you can't find a supplier, then how about making a decal which matches the rest of your model and with white over that?  If you use white decal paper them the serial would appear in white, or clear decal paper but you would need to paint the background/model section white

Here is a very quick demo print I've just done. the serial is 6mm wide on my drawing.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I’ve tried that but with such a small decal and small model (1/72 Mustang) it didn’t look right :(

Martin

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would have said Fantasy Printshop.

Err .... and, sadly, expensive :(

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks mate. I’ve tried that but with such a small decal and small model (1/72 Mustang) it didn’t look right :(

Martin

Err .... and, sadly, expensive :(

Nothing their existing range?

If you have the required letters in white;

1. Draw a pencil line on a piece of clear decal paper. 

2. Apply the required letters to the clear decal paper, slightly above the pencil line, using it as a guide.

3. When letters are applied and dry, put on a thin coat of varnish to lock them down

4. Trim the clear decal paper around the block of letters and apply as a single decal to the model

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Nothing their existing range?

Sadly not. I have white lettering, although not Amarillo USAF ;)? My problem is alignment. I have attempted it twice now and each attempt looks like I applIed the decals to a cobbled path :(..... So, what I am looking for is my specific serial printed do that I can simply apply it correctly. :)

I got a price list for custom printing but the minimum sheets numbers and set up charges are high :(.

Thanks for all your guidance and ideas.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

If you have the required letters in white;

1. Draw a pencil line on a piece of clear decal paper. 

2. Apply the required letters to the clear decal paper, slightly above the pencil line, using it as a guide.

3. When letters are applied and dry, put on a thin coat of varnish to lock them down

4. Trim the clear decal paper around the block of letters and apply as a single decal to the model

Thats an idea but its the same as my current method of applying a strip of Tamiya tape where it is intended, applying the letters and removing the tape. My problem is that they are so minute that getting them straight is tricky :(..... Maybe life's too short.......

Martin