T-55 AMV.. A bit more Progress

diases

Hi Guys

Just a reminder (to be edited) , as still in Egypt till about 20 Oct. So a late start.

But kits are ready, research has been fruitful, and cant wait to start.

Here's whats planned as of Now

8HgdUTF.jpg

Had to change original Idea for a t-54 mod 1949, as would not have made much sense, time wise with 

boKplJk.jpg

Now that's a better fit.

A few extra's

i1JZB2e.jpg

Still not certain as to the damage level's I'm going for, or even the user country.

But hopefully will make a mean and menacing machine when complete.

Should have a start tomorrow on it, after sorting a brazil visa out, (new printer ink required).

Will start on lower hull front and mine roller arms, as I need to check positioning and clearance's for ERA (the brick's) mounts.

Have a good build everybody, and enjoying the work seen so far

Paul

Edited by diases
Back from Egypt. Lets make a proper start
  • Like 2

Hi Paul. I'm glad you are going to be able to join us, if a little late. Looking forward to following your project when you are able to start.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Great to have you back and don't take too long before posting some progress photos!! Looking forward to seeing this project in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 10/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, Hewy said:

Wow, a cracking selection of parts, a build to be savored I'm sure, will you really get it done by the end of november? I'd  probably only get the tracks and mine roller done by then, 

Trips just 4weeks, so will have a few weeks after I return.

So, I've made a Start.

First up is the changes to the Front, to allow the mine roller to Fit.

AMV has a Frame for ERA blocks on the lower front hull, and extra protection armour under the front part of the hull.

Extra armour is no problem, as its designed as anti mine use, so fits nicely out of the way.

ERA Frame has to be left off as the mounting points are the ones used for the roller. I think Ill try to incorporate them somewhere, as they would be re-fitted if the roller was removed.

So, I've started with the main roller arms, as these were needed to get the correct spacing for the mounts

oNhwPYn.jpg

ml79fp6.jpg

I replaced the kit thin bars with copper wire, as they had many, many sprure mounts and are very bendy. I'll straighten them up bit now they are glued in place via the mounts .

WGfqBks.jpg

a4Uca3R.jpg

Lower mounts were made and locating lugs removed. The Takom kit has a smooth front top section, so Roller mounts were placed on arm to give the correct spacing and glued in place.

You can also see the Upper mounts, which were just placed on the original kits locating points.

oardkbF.jpg

TxJXmr3.jpg

uFRwra7.jpg

Some shots of the arms roughly fitted, there are wires,etc to connect the upper mounts to the arms, and I'll have to work out which ERA frames/blocks will need removing for operation/clearance.

So lower/underside of hull is sorted, upper front needs attention.

Thoughts about the kits?  

Well, mineroller is a nice addition to make something different. Seems detailed and, if you take note of item positions, reasonably easy to build. Some delicate items will require careful cleaning up.

But, If my imagination and weathering skills are up to it, should make a good companion.

T-55 AMV kit, not much to say yet, as I've hardly touched it.

Hope everybody is enjoying this GB, and enjoying the other threads

Cheers for looking

Paul

• Like 4

Great to see you have got this properly underway. And I agree with Silenoz - it’s going to look awesome with the mine roller in front! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Guy's.

The roller does make it look different. 

Not much progress in the last few days, as real life has to be addressed after being away so much in the last few months.

Think I've decided on a colour scheme, but in two minds.

It's a 2014 Syrian Arab Army scheme, but the thought of doing a on-going conflict tank makes me a bit morally confused. I guess I'll have to decide eventually.

But I think that the first paint will be dark green everywhere(apart from the rubber side skirts, tyres, etc) , as nearly every picture I've seen has a green base colour.

I'm guessing its the export standard colour, but if anyone knows better, please correct.

Hopefully basic hull/wheels will be complete in a couple of days, then can get the correct positioning for the roller, height wise, to set up the top support wires so they look under tension.

Hope everybody is enjoying themselves, and look forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 1

• diases changed the title to T-55 AMV.. Now with wheels

Listening to American Football and modelling, after the wife's gone to bed. Great😎

So, spent a couple of hours sorting the suspension and wheels out. Here's the evidence. went together easily, but remember to use the correction sheet and not the manual (research into kit had prewarned me about this).

Detailed suspension linkages are nice and the wheel's even have bearing detail if you wanted to show a damaged cap.

A5Tlrd2.jpg

UVuDjks.jpg

P2qOlPZ.jpg

XNnRuQH.jpg

xSdHFUq.jpg

kCadekl.jpg

So that's the hull sorted construction wise, bit of filling required (my fault), but mostly went together easily and not to fiddly.

Bit of paint/weathering next, then onto the dreaded  track factory.

Comments welcome

Cheers

Paul

• Like 4

So, having a wardrobe fitter in all day today and tomorrow will allow plenty of progress... hopefully.

First up was the pesky clamps for the roller

ErZTJIQ.jpg

These look easy, but as I had to fit the hull mounts to the hull for clearance purposes, turned out to be a right pain.

First, I'd painted the base colour green, so the locating holes on the mounts needed drilling through, then the two halves can be positioned and glued.

I've been careful with the glue, so they operate at the moment, but theres still a connecting rod to fit between each pair, and I think that may mean locking them into position.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Second top deck fitted.

uug76Vb.jpg

IuVvSp3.jpg

top deck fitted really nice, but as you can see in photo, I messed up by fitting one grill reversed, but with paint shouldn't show that much.

I may try removing/refitting. The other plate 9top left in photo) is weird. Instructions seem to show a curve in it, but there are no mounting points apart from how I fitted it, also seems to small for hole.

guess I'll have to check instructions later on to see if theres more to add.

Third, the dreaded track factory

4DDHo3w.jpg

KJyXyfj.jpg

First the good news, individual links in a bag, so no cutting from sprures, and plenty of them. minimal flash to scrap. 

They look detailed enough, and made up quite quickly.

I've  made up a complete side and can easily be fitted over wheels. 

made a start on the other side, but lost will to live part way through. guess that's first for tomorrow.

Well, that's todays effort.

tomorrow will be painting top deck and  tracks. then forward hull build, roller and tank connections.

Should keep me busy.

Cheers

Paul

PS. painted the lower hull in the new Tamiya dark green II, you can see it in the track shot, on the rear sprocket,  

I think it looks OK. But comments about the colour welcome

• Like 4

• diases changed the title to T-55 AMV.. A bit more Progress

Hi All

Good news,  Track building is complete, and base coat of dark iron applied.

Roller arms fitted for a idea of size.

SHUCLa2.jpg

jsQXYzO.jpg

plXWtMx.jpg

Tomorrow will be finishing roller construction and front hull fittings.

Starting to look like a tank now

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5

On 04/11/2019 at 19:10, diases said:

The other plate 9top left in photo) is weird. Instructions seem to show a curve in it, but there are no mounting points apart from how I fitted it, also seems to small for hole.

guess I'll have to check instructions later on to see if theres more to add.

My build (Tiran 4) is similar. I assume that you are going to have that hatch open, because if you were going to show it closed, you don't fit that piece of etched brass. It's looking good so far.

John.

That looks to be progressing beautifully and well done on getting the tracks done! :thumbsup:

I've still got about another 30 to clean up on mine! :(

Kind regards,

Stix

Not a lot of progress lately. Real life limiting build time, etc.

ZgRhDxv.jpg

kt0yYKX.jpg

hpOnmIm.jpg

Front hull plate has been populated, and secondary locking clamps installed.

A bit of breakage to clamp on right, as one of the rods snapped. If it was a older non ERA version of the T-55 then the roller is all built as a stand alone unit, so easier to build.

9oh8nvl.jpg

BIvMpdx.jpg

Qu4lr9t.jpg

Both rollers are built, and base colour applied. Interesting to see how they work as center wheel has a much larger axle hole, so sits loosely between the outer wheels vertically but clamped between them horizontally.

Chains are installed with wire links instead of the kit plastic ones, as they are so thin cutting them free of the sprures snapped two, but 0.81mm brass rod is same size and could be bent to correct shape.

That's were I'm up to at the moment.

Going to decide final paint scheme today and get the front semi painted before installing the roller top connections, as it's going to be a busy area to get at afterwards.

Cheers for looking, and comments very welcome

Paul 

• Like 3

Cheers Silenoz

What a nice picture, and never seen it before. Definitely going to add the missing ERA mounting points/lugs.

I think I have something I can use in the stash, tube if possible, but rod would work

Thanks again

Paul

• Thanks 1