Kitbash Spitfire VIII Caldwell - 4 cannon

Hi,

This model is a combination of 3 different kits -  a kind of Frankenstein. The main parts are the CMR wings and the AZ fuselage. Additional parts from an Eduard kit are - Spinner/Propellor, 2nd set of cannons, etch aerial, tailwheel, main undercarriage covers and rear view mirror. A quickboost aerial mast has also been added. Originally the model was meant to be a CMR kit however I had a warp in the tail which broke during attempts to rectify it so the parts have been parked for a possible future project. The Eduard spinner was used to ensure the black spinner cheatlines fitted correctly as they were designed for the Eduard kit from the "Aussie 8" boxing.

This model represents a short lived experiment by Clive Caldwell to see how effective the Spitfire VIII would be for ground attack if fitted with 4 cannons. The Mk VIII was designed to enable quick fitment of this configuration in the field so some spare cannons were added (you can see they are still in a type of primer in the model). Caldwell found the handling deteriorated badly with the extra weight in the wings and wouldn't be suitable for novices so reverted the plane back to its normal configuration soon after. The main driver to use the CMR kit is that it has optional parts for the wide cannon bulges required for a 4 cannon spitfire as well as having the correct ejection ports underwing. The Eduard kit would have required quite a bit of surgery to get the same result.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 30

These are two very nice Mk VIII in my favourite guise (Pacific War aficionado!). I just recommend to illuminate the photos differently so that the airframe appears more brilliant.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toryu said:

These are two very nice Mk VIII in my favourite guise (Pacific War aficionado!). I just recommend to illuminate the photos differently so that the airframe appears more brilliant.

Thanks Toryu. I'm well aware the lighting setup isn't ideal. I'm basically jerry rigging some reading lights around my workbench. Maybe one day I'll look into proper lighting and a photo booth.

Cheers

Michael 

No photography expert here, but I think the plane itself looks nice (rather like "real" daylight), but the base seems comparatively "bright".  If it isn't an effect of the lighting, perhaps the base is a bit busy and, with (loosely) similar colors, takes away from the subject?  I know that it can look quite different in person compared to in photos.

Nice touch with the primered cannon fairings- is that based on a photo, or your imagination/deduction?

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Nice touch with the primered cannon fairings- is that based on a photo, or your imagination/deduction?

Hi gingerbob,

Thanks for the comments. The cannon fairing colour is based on a photo in the Aussie 8 book which is included in the Eduard boxing. It also has a colour profile based on Peter Malone's (author) opinion.

Cheers

Michael

• 6 months later...