Uh ....oh.....Panther V2

Bozothenutter

Well, recieved the Friul drivewheel  and measurements from the pics make it a match.

20191128_170412.jpg

20191128_170421.jpg

20191128_170446.jpg

Started preliminary work

20191129_163338.jpg

20191129_163357.jpg

Just laid the kit sprocket on top of the Pz.IV one.

Pushed the center and spokes inwards a bit using the other half of the Friul wheel upside down. 

Oh boy  passed by a hobby shop, went inside, came out with the bottom half a a Panther A/D and two funny turrets (Takom Coelian) €25!!!

Now I have pretty final drives for V2.

You can see why...

20191204-184126.jpg

Edited by Bozothenutter
  • Like 1

well, i have started om the drive wheels, went really well to., untill I dropped the first one...🙄

DO NOT DROP PAPER THIN WHITE METAL!!!!

the original Pz IV H/J part, the modified part and the kit sprocket with the center removed

20191206_184119.jpg

Making the center fit

20191207-135819.jpg

and the sprocket

20191207-135804.jpg

creating the angle...how far do I dare to go.....

20191207-143458.jpg

pretty darn far.....

20191207-143505.jpg

the final result, AFTER the droppingness.....

20191207_145342.jpg

I'm going to use filler to hide the deformations I guess....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the Takom Flakpanther I bought for parts saves my bacon again!

20191228_143821.jpg

It has the correct size screens for rear two vents (larger) where the Dragon gives just one size.

20191228_155621.jpg

Rebuilt vents, wanted the rears out because you're able to see the brackets underneath them.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Interesting build log, quick question, have you checked the angle at which the turret side armour plates are set at when compared with your reference pictures?

It might just be my eyes (probably is) but the kit turret when viewed from the back seems to have the plates set at a steeper angle than the turret in the ref pictures, resulting in a wider roof top plate?

Matt

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Interesting build log, quick question, have you checked the angle at which the turret side armour plates are set at when compared with your reference pictures?

It might just be my eyes (probably is) but the kit turret when viewed from the back seems to have the plates set at a steeper angle than the turret in the ref pictures, resulting in a wider roof top plate?

Matt

not sure if I should hug you or scold you.......

but you're absolutely, completely, frustratingly right!

quick conversion from a picture using the upper edge of the turret shows is IS too wide (should be 27.25mm, is 31.2mm)

Funny how one can focus on the tiny detail, while missing the large ones!

Thank you! (I think..)

Edited by Bozothenutter

Illustration of the problem..

20210209-105951.jpg

Just did a double check on the rear hatch to check my conversion factor...spot on!

will try and move the bend in the side armour forward as well, out comes the metal file, and probably some sheet as well...

Edited by Bozothenutter
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

not sure if I should hug you or scold you.......

Feel free to scold me I don't mind ;) If you were just doing a straight simple build with very little changes then I would of kept my mouth shut (so to speak) but you seem very keen to fully correct the kit, which is fun to watch, so I mentioned it. and I only noticed it because you have both pictures of the kit turret and ref pictures of the turret (viewed from the rear) in the build log.

Your doing a good job btw, It's an interesting build log.

Matt

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Feel free to scold me I don't mind ;) If you were just doing a straight simple build with very little changes then I would of kept my mouth shut (so to speak) but you seem very keen to fully correct the kit, which is fun to watch, so I mentioned it. and I only noticed it because you have both pictures of the kit turret and ref pictures of the turret (viewed from the rear) in the build log.

Your doing a good job btw, It's an interesting build log.

Matt

wot, no hugs? 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

beating, clamping, pushing things into submission...

This is the kinda model making I miss, I can remember the model mags from 20+ years ago that very often had stuff like this going on, model makers beating a kit into submission just for the sheer blinking fun of it... :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1