M1070 Truck Tractor & M1000 Semi-Trailer

harvey1847

Hi All and thank you to welcome on the forum...

About me... I come from the Dark Side of the moon. My background is plank on frames model ships. I was at modelshipworld building the HMS Triton.  A 28 gun frigate Group project (that looks that is been shut down!). Anyway, I moved from Spain 5 years ago and I left her there. Moved my tools and everything but I left the model at my parents... So Stupid.

The Kit, the truck, the trailer... I just saw the kit on Amazon on sale and I fell in love with it. Before the ships ( I've done plank on bulwarks, plastic, paper...) I've being doing plastic kits since I am (was) 14 years old. I used to buy these Francois Verlinden monographs and in one of them was a T-72 on a trailer moved by a Mack Tractor. It was called "Move On" if I remember well. 

When I saw the kit I didn't hesitate and bought it.

My  goal is to make both and put nothing on the trailer, maybe boxes, tires or nothing... don't know, we'll see! 

The kit so far is a little bit disappointed. Instructions unclear. They rely on ,and a lot on 3D views without zooms in detail of what the heak you have to glue. This becomes crystal clear when the "DUCTING"  comes. The black duct they supplied... Trash it, put it on the bin. (if someone proves me wrong i'll eat my words) 

posting pictures tomorrow.

48822263467_b42742c382_h.jpg

Edited by harvey1847
getting familiar posting - do i need a reason? delete this tap!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening All! Thanks for the one like!

Right, a little bit of explanation... So the black duct supplied simply does not work. Even if you are able to glue it in place with CA it is so flexible that is impossible to do the bends that the plans proposed. And I do think that the 3D views are for real. All the ducts in order, parallel, one against each other. It makes sense. The duct supplied does not work.

I thought about using 0.75mm copper wire and cut the ends of the pipes. I think that this wouldn't work due to the extremely weak joint I would have had at the end... My solution came using the wire of BT, Vodafone ADSL boxes use. They are 0.90mm Dia. insulated copper wire. A guy from the Vodafone gave some cable offcuts and are working fantastic! I'm pretty sure that you might find this sort of cable somewhere.  (actually i'm going to be run out soon, so i'll tell you how I got it)

The beauty of this cable is that is copper insulated wire. So I work as follows:

1st. Cut the plastic cover on one end without cutting the copper. 6mm long.

2nd. Remove the cover.

3rd. Trim the exposed copper 3 mm

4th. Replace the 6mm plastic cover on the end.

5th. Connect the wire to the pipe ( it fits like a glove! ) and glue with CA 

6th. Let it dry and continue with the bending... 

I do pre-bend the wire like pic no. DSC1228 shows.

At the end of the process  you have even a "movable" part of the kit. It plays only 2-3mm ish but is enough for me. I want to display the kit with all the wheel Turning and at different heights on a sandy and stony path.

Everyone takes me and average of one hour to complete the ducting and that PE little tiny piece...

Good Luck,

Daniel

• Like 3

Great work with the hydraulics. If you still have trouble with posting photos on here, try Village Photos. It's a bit convoluted but one you get the hang of it, dead simple.

John.

• Like 2

Good effort, I've looked at this kit a couple of times but was put off by the price and where exactly I would put it when it was (eventually) finished. I admire your restraint in not wanting to fill that trailer with something impressive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice work so far... adds a lot those cables, but also a large effort...

Thanks! yes it is a lot of effort (or lots of fun) but I like to stick real to the Real thing...

I annotate the minutes I spent on building every single part of the kit. If it ends up that I'm having fun for one hour on one  wheel chassis... Ahead are another 20-24 hours of fun.

or nooot... those cables are a trully pin in the a**s!!

Edited by harvey1847
correct truly for trully
  • Like 1

Hi All!

I ve been with a terrible cold since saturday. Winter is coming! 

Anyway I couldn't make it to work yesterday nor today so I did finish the wheel chassis (5 complete sets, not 3 as I said) and did some ducting as well...

48902277918_7e9f4998de_b.jpg I put a lot of care gluing the pieces to make the whole assembly "workable". Specially with piece No.P15. I use use Tamiya extra thin cement and it runs like hell. So I had to remove the "tenon" on piece No. P13 to make it round. It got welded on 2 pieces out of 10...

48902277773_3ed8029836_b.jpg a general view of the ten... they are all dry preset on place. QUESTION: Does anyone know how many degrees the wheels turn? I want to display the model turning.

48902805721_189b2bb739_b.jpg The next three pics are just zooms to help me out looking for errors or mistakes. I did not take pics of the gluying process of the wheel chassis cause is pretty straight with the instructions. What I did is cut and clean ALL the pieces involved and glue them in packs. 1st ALL P13+P36, then ALL the P8+spring+(the set before)+P17 and so on. It worked absolutely fine!

48902805596_6eaa314ef2_b.jpg   

,48903009282_1f108cd685_b.jpgNote that there is still pieces not glued in place. My intention is give it a first coat of primer, finish the ducting and then go for the little, tiny and weak pieces. I know that all that ducting is going to remain practically unseen when finish but Hey! you have to be truthful with the model...

48902277288_2e53bf5a8a_b.jpg

,48902276943_5916992d0f_b.jpgIn order to display the wheels turning I will have to modify those bars...any ideas are welcome! Decisions, decisions...

And that's all folks!

Happy modelling!

Daniel

Edited by harvey1847

Hi All!

Don't know why but some texts appear underlined! What am I doing wrong?!

A little update with the ducting... I have realized that is easier to remove the little end of the hydraulic nozzles in some cases and glue the wire on a flat surface. In others you do need a nice fitting at the start. The CA glue is an amazing stuff and that wire works amazing too.

48903008737_b2b0f28045_b.jpgDSC01256 by , On this four end the wire was "clipped" Actually you can see a little tiny piece of copper exposed on one of the orange wires. The other 3 were done like I explained on Post #8 . Neater finish but reeeally time consuming!

48902804701_e8fbc421b0_b.jpgDSC01257 by

48902276583_af5586ecdc_b.jpgDSC01258 by , Note on the upper green wire that the nozzle end has been trim. I trimmed all the ends later on...

48902275728_3ce0c4e7c4_b.jpgDSC01260 by , I also glue the wires together to keep them tidy. You'll see how busy is going to be here with anothe four wires to go!

48902804411_e5078232e6_b.jpgDSC01263 by , When cutting out, trimming the nozzles... Ensure your tool is sharp enough. I almost broke one of them!

48902804276_51bd62e75a_b.jpgDSC01265 by , One more to go!

48903008117_ba8d5822ea_b.jpgDSC01266 by , All Done. I tried to lay down all the ducts-wires as realistic as possible with nice curves and "weight". Don't know if I've achieve it. Paint and shading will tell.

48902276023_e8e51c88ab_b.jpgDSC01267 by , Underside view.

48902275648_6e98442f70_b.jpgDSC01269 by , Another view cause I like it!

That's all folks!

Next, more ducting and painting... I haven't use an airbrush for modelling since 20 years maybe... quite scared! I am having fun so far with the kit. It is a long term project.

Stay tuned!

Daniel

• Like 3

Impressive work on those hydraulic pipes, a high standard and  a big cross to bear, all the best, especially in 35th scale ,it'll be huge,i have a takom maz 573 with the semi trailer but in 72nd,thats quite a size,i shall make a start on mine at the weekend to carry a T-54

• Like 1

Hi All! Good afternoon!

Hi Hewy! Amazing details and paint work with that T-54, specially the wheels and the tracks. Still amazed that is 1/72!!

Yesterday I finish my particular milestone ducting the wheel chassis! I've ordered the compressor and two airbrushes. Waiting for them... Looking forward to make some trials. Hope to have them this weekend. fingers crossed.

48861481937_79a3dc39a4_b.jpg

This is an old pic from my first post (?) to explain that I "cheat" with the hose that is plugged to the Hydraulic Cylinder (The one that is not completed, or in progress on the pic). Putting those ones was dragging me a lot. I took the easy way to "plug" them somewhere near trying to cover the nozzles. 

48943094158_6c228a4596_b.jpg

With these two ones you CANNOT CHEAT! They are so exposed that you have to properly plug them at the end of the nozzles. The other ends can remain loose towards the hinge or apply some CA

The next two pics talk by themselves how to make those connections...

48943094653_19ab5e67ce_b.jpg

48943833102_e8f8152762_b.jpg

(Apply a little CA to join again both insulated covers, otherwise when you'll try to plug the hose, the end might end detached from the metal wire. (related to Step 4th Post #8) 

And now a bunch of pics with all the ten sets completed! 

48943094008_f3afcb337f_b.jpg

48943640661_0893cfacd0_k.jpg

48943093693_301b868f48_k.jpg

48943832242_8987e0d42b_k.jpg

Please bear in mind that all these sets, pieces will change dramatically with the primer coat and paint. So scared of... We'll see.

Oh! by the way, I obsessively annotate the time it takes me to make a single part of the kit (or the overall time I spent modelling). I'll tell you tomorrow how long it took me.

Good night all! Have a nice Thursday! (The new Fridays, nowadays)

Daniel 

Edited by harvey1847
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning!

Just a little update about the timing about the ducts...

I started the 22nd Sep 2019 and finish it off the 23rd Oct - (22 Days). The Net time I've put on it has been 12 HOURS.

The airbrush set has arrived! Question: Do I have to buy a primer first or can I use a any colour as a primer (tamiya)?

Have a nice day! Here's pouring down...

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Are you really using the airbrush cleaner as a paint thinner!? Is that even legal!?:lol::lol::lol:

I would have thought, a cleaner is meant to "detach" the paint from any possible surface which, to me, is the exact opposite to do when painting a model. But if it works, there is nothing that speaks against it.

Edited by armored76