E-3 Model (Prep)

Angry_GCI

Hi guys, was just wondering if any of you guys have a conversion chart from Heller to Tamiya, if so thanks. I was also curious if any of you know what these are and where I may be able to get them from, as they didn't come with the model. Again thanks guys, I'm fairly new to all this so any help you can provide I will be grateful. 

spacer.png

If by "a conversion chart from Heller to Tamiya" you are referring to paint, see here for a Heller-to-Humbrol conversion chart:

https://www.scaleworld.info/heller

Then see here for a Humbrol-to-Tamiya conversion chart:

https://hobbylandbg.com/colourtable

Edited by Space Ranger

They are ESM pods - Electronic Surveillance Measures. A number of radio receivers inside them will pick up RF (Radio Frequency) transmissions from any transmitters and they will be displayed on a screen inside, normally with a dedicated ESM operator. By comparing them to known radar systems (different frequencies, scan rates etc), the transmitters can be identified and monitored. Different models of the E-3, for different nations, use different ESM systems - if you look at a British E-3D, you will see that these ESM 'canoes' are missing, replaced with wing-tip pods for a similar function.

• Like 1

If you're looking for Heller/Tamiya conversions to build a USAF Sentry, you can cut out any discrepancies by following the actual U.S. color standards (codified under Federal Standard 595). 

As seen in your photo, the E-3 is an overall light gray with white areas on the wings and tailplanes.  The gray used is "Boeing Gray," not an official FS595 color but equivalent to FS 16515.  There isn't an exact match to this color in the Humbrol  or Tamiya lines, but Testors makes it (or used to) as "Voodoo Gray" (so-named for its use on Canadian F-101s).  The white is FS17875, for which any gloss white should provide a match.

• Like 1