HMS Bounty, 1787

Courageous

On 14/10/2019 at 20:47, Courageous said:

Indeed.

Stuart

He does what it says on the tin. What more do you want?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

but does the tin have a copper bottom ?  :analintruder:

Kev

No, I thought that I had explained that it is @general melchett that has the copper bottom, or so Baldrick says.

Martian (clarifying the conundrums) 👽

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

No, I thought that I had explained that it is @general melchett that has the copper bottom, or so Baldrick says.

What in the name of Jupiter's sainted underpants is all this about? neither Baldrick or anyone else within the hallowed halls of M Towers has any knowledge whatsoever of my copper bottom, brass neck, tin legs, silver tongue or steely determination!..it's a vicious rumor, is all, started by a renegade Poole Viking (lander) from Mars, so there...:howzat:

Great choice Stuart, sounds like a fair bit of work but I'm sure you're up to it...look forward to progress...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great choice Stuart, sounds like a fair bit of work but I'm sure you're up to it...look forward to progress...

Thank you General but don't hold your breath for a commencement date.

This was just delivered at my work address...

ya651e.jpg

...very scary stuff. Just wondering where the heck they got those weird names from, mind blowing stuff.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

What in the name of Jupiter's sainted underpants is all this about? neither Baldrick or anyone else within the hallowed halls of M Towers has any knowledge whatsoever of my copper bottom, brass neck, tin legs, silver tongue or steely determination!..it's a vicious rumor, is all, started by a renegade Poole Viking (lander) from Mars, so there...:howzat:

Not me then, I haven't been a member for nearly ten of your earth years now. :howzat: :howzat:

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Hi

I have activated postimage - thanks Stuart.

Photos of Prof John Tilley's model deserve to be seen by everyone so here are two for examples of rigging and a suggested colour scheme:

Bounty-by-John-Tilley-2.jpg

Bounty-by-John-Tilley-1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi

I have just found on www that John Tilley passed away two years ago. As he is therefore unlikely to upgrade his Photobucket account, I have posted two other images of his HMS Bounty for posterity and ship modellers everywhere present and future.

Cheers

Bounty-Tilley.jpg

Bounty-by-John-Tilley-3.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

HI Stuart

So my build has been progressing slowly but satisfactorily.

If you've only just started your Bounty, why not start a WiP here, I'm sure it would an interesting thread?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

Cheers

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The mention of John Tilley brings back many happy memories for me. The Bounty was virtually scratch built all save for the Revell Bounty hull. John wrote a comprehensive two or three part article about this model in the UK Scale Models Magazine way back in the 80's I think when Ray Rimmel was editor. Prior to this he wrote a multi part article for the same magazine about the Heller Soleil Royale.

I had the great pleasure of John stopping over for a few days with me when in the UK doing his dissertation for his masters degree. I took him to Portsmouth to see HMS Victory as well as take him to an IPMS UK National Championships where he became an honorary judge on the day for the sailing ships class. His other most famous model was the of the colonial frigate Hancock that was a complete scratch build. John showed me the hull and some of the fittings that he was working on that he carried around in a shoe box at the time. When he completed the model he wrote a comprehensive multi part article for Model Shipwright.

As a good personal friend and a fantastic ship modeller he will be sadly missed, particularly for the information he also shared regularly in ship modelling forums.

It would be interesting to know where John's Soleil Royale, Bounty and Hancock models are now.

As a footnote there are two good just rigging books by Lennart Petersen. One covers Square Riggers like Victory and the other book Fore and Aft Riggers like schooners.

• Thanks 1