Tiran 4, Early.

Bullbasket

I shall be building a Tiran 4. I have three different kits of these tanks and over the next couple of days, I'll decide which one. I'll probably eliminate the Miniart Tiran 4 Sh as it has full interior and will take me more than the allotted time to build it. Of the other two there's not much to chose between them as they both seem to represent similar tanks ie; early versions, still fitted with the Soviet 100mm main gun. Once I've made up my mind, I'll get some photos of the box contents posted.

John.

• Like 2

Hi John. Great to have you along - both for your excellent model building and for your subject knowledge! I'm looking forward to following your progress with which ever one you decide to build. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

OK, to kick this off, her are some photos of the box and what's in it.

26a86385-7f5e-48f1-b54e-07316d6ffcfa.JPG

The parts (and there are loads of them) come in three tightly packed bags.

f6595b54-892c-451f-b069-70d5c6cfc377.JPG133d4373-1fb9-4250-ba94-4f318443ed13.JPG

There are no fewer than 74 different sprues in the box. Looking for individual parts is going to be fun. The decals fortunately for me, contain markings for a couple of IDF tanks as well as some for the SLA. There is also a comprehensive etched brass sheet and a sprue of clear parts. The main gun is slide moulded, unlike the one in the Takom kit which is in two halves, so I might just be able to get away with using the kit part.

5877cefb-d332-495a-b4b5-8d96a7b8ca95.JPG6f61bd88-4cff-4807-976e-7e2f3c5a8ad3.JPG

See you again after the weekend.

John.

• Like 6

The mini art ones are incredibly detailed aren't they, a little over engineered in places but superb kits, you'll need all the time the gb will allow for one of these john,  as you say the interior kit  would have put another month on the build at least, i look forward to this

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hewy said:

The mini art ones are incredibly detailed aren't they, a little over engineered in places but superb kits, you'll need all the time the gb will allow for one of these john,  as you say the interior kit  would have put another month on the build at least, i look forward to this

You've hit the nail on the head Glynn. This is one of the most over engineered kits that I've ever seen. I got it out last night to see what was in store for me and I was amazed. Just as a comparison, I compared it with the Takom kit that I also have. They are both of an early Tiran 4, just different guns. There is no comparison. For the lower hull, Takom have moulded it as one piece with all of the road wheel swing arm attachment points moulded as part of the hull with something like 20 parts to complete it. Miniart on the other hand have broken it down so far as to be ridiculous. More than 100 parts (and some of them tiny) make up the lower hull. Even the tub itself consists of 5 separate parts. And it's spread over three pages of the instructions. I'm not overly fond of the plastic that they have used, as it's very soft and the major components of the hull tub are floppy. 

Oh and one other thing that I find baffling. On the front plate of the hull are brackets for attaching the mine roller. In the Takom kit and the Tamiya Tiran 5, these are already moulded on to the plate. With the Miniart kit, you have to open up twelve separate holes in the plate and then glue the brackets on. Why? It makes no sense.

So having said all of that, I'm reverting back to the Takom kit as at least there is an outside chance of me finishing that within the time frame. I won't post any photos of the box and contents because Arnold is building the same kit and has already done so.

Right, I'll shut up moaning now and go and get this build ready to start in a couple of days time.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Right, I'll shut up moaning now and go and get this build ready to start in a couple of days time.

John.

I'm  not surprised ,I dont blame you john, I've  got a 95% finished miniart t54 sitting on the shelf looking at me as i write this,the fuel pipes and suspension parts were a right trial of patience, a kit for the long haul definitely,  i dont think these kits  are gb fodder,  start it maybe over a cold winter if you get snowed in , should finish for the following winter😀,you can relax now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I'm  not surprised ,I dont blame you john, I've  got a 95% finished miniart t54 sitting on the shelf looking at me as i write this,the fuel pipes and suspension parts were a right trial of patience, a kit for the long haul definitely,  i dont think these kits  are gb fodder,  start it maybe over a cold winter if you get snowed in , should finish for the following winter😀,you can relax now

Looking at the Takom kit, there are 18 sprues in it compared to 74 in the Miniart one. When you have to make up an item such as one of the swing arms, it's multi part, but instead of them all being on one sprue, they will be on three  or four, so you have to hunt through them all for each part. Frustrating and time consuming.

I have got to source a main gun though as the version that I want to build has the 100mm without a fume extractor. RB Models do one, but it says that it's for an SU-100 so I don't know if the length is the same.

As for the two Miniart kits, I'm probably going to put them up for sale.

John.

• Haha 2

I remeber the swing arms in mine, all pretty daunting,amazing kits though looks like you get early and late wheels in the box,the kit will also build into other models  too i know mine did and you'll have many many parts left over,

• Like 1

I'm going to sell the one with full interior, because to me, it's just a waste of time. The other one I've decided to keep and use for spares. It has both D-10 guns, with and without the fume extractor, a nice set of tracks, a decent set of etched brass and a spare set of road wheels, (it includes the star fish and the spider). So sometime in the future I may build another 4 but with some differences.

John.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a false start with the Miniart kit, I made a start on the one from Takom. Still a good kit, but nowhere near as over engineered as the Miniart offering. The lower hull with all of the swing arms, idlers and drive sprockets were done in an afternoon. The road wheels and tyres are separate items and although it’s been said that they should go on the other way, I disagree. I assembled one wheel and compared it to one of the Miniart wheels (they mould theirs as one), and there didn’t appear to be any difference between the two.

As the tyres and wheels are separate, it allows them to be painted before assembly, thus doing away with the need for masking. So at the moment, this is as far as I’ve got. The wheels, tyres and lower hull have been primed with Halfords Grey Primer, ready for a coat of IDF Sand Grey.

8aaf4449-6c7d-4158-837b-2caef1769f2b.JPG

1ec36dfd-9de0-4eab-afd4-4f50ca5a0712.JPG

Admittedly, not much to show, but now that my Firefly build is finished, I can devote more time to this one.

John.

• Like 5

Hi John. Hope you a doing okay today. Great to see your build underway. Hope you get chance soon to some more on it soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stix. Progress is very slow at the moment due to Telford coming up. I've got four models going into the competition and I still have one left to get ready. I'm also constrained by time as I will be leaving home for Telford on the 6th, not returning for another three weeks. But fear not! As soon as I've got this last one out of the way, it will be full steam ahead with the Tiran.

John.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

But fear not! As soon as I've got this last one out of the way, it will be full steam ahead with the Tiran.

That's good to hear John! And good luck with the competition entries!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Just a bit of an update. Now that all of the Telford competition models are done and dusted, I can get a little bit done on the Tiran. Today I managed to spend a bit of time painting the lower hull and running gear, and you'll like this Stix (not a lot), it was done not with the airbrush but the hairy stick. I couldn't be asked to get the airbrush out. I'll try and get some photos posted before I head off to Telford on Wednesday.

John.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/12/2019 at 17:21, PlaStix said:

Hi John. I'm just checking if you've had chance to make any more progress?

Kind regards,

Stix

Sorry Stix, but I won't be able to finish in time. I'll be carrying on with it after Christmas and I'll get one of the mods to move it to the AFV WIP section. I've started another, much smaller and less complicated build to give me something less brain taxing over the Christmas period. Otherwise, my time at the moment is being taken up with chasing uncooperative insurance assessors who don't see the urgency in a building that's about to fall down.

John. 

• Sad 1

Hi John. I'm sorry you are not going to be able to get your Tiran 4 finished in this GB but I certainly understand why! I'm sorry you are being messed around byt your insurance assessors - who'd have thought that could happen?!!! :banghead:

I'll drop by your other project when I get chance and I shall look forward to seeing your Tiran finished when you get chance..

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1