Tamiya 1:20 Honda RA272 - First Build in 15 Years

Well, I'm back into scale models for the first time in 15 years and I've found it very meditative to sit in a quiet space and slowly work through the pieces and painting - a nice break from a busy work and family life. I had an idea to do a scale model history of Formula 1 in 1:20 scale as there are so many models available to cover the history of engineering and design. 

I've started with the Tamiya RA272 as I got it for a good price and seemed like it would be a good place to start. Built pretty much out of the box and sprayed with a custom mix for the racing white and then topcoated with Tamiya X22 clear. 

I want to improve my skills and finished models so please feel free to comment on any tips/tricks/suggestions that you think might help.

Tamiya_120_Honda_RA272-9_1920x1080

Tamiya_120_Honda_RA272-7_1920x1080

Tamiya_120_Honda_RA272-5_1920x1080

Tamiya_120_Honda_RA272-1_1920x1080

Tamiya_120_Honda_RA272-12_1920x1080

• Like 24

Wow, that's an impressive first model on returning to the hobby.  It looks a fine rendition of a lovely looking racer.  I look forward to seeing more of your collection as you build.

Cheers

Will

PS I just realised from your user name that you must be a man of very good taste!

Edited by malpaso
Comment on user name
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've started on the Tamiya McLaren MP4/7, so I'll try to start up a WIP thread on that. I have some questions around the red/orange colour that I'm hoping someone can help with.

Will, I did indeed used to have a GT6 but sold it a few years ago - I do still have my MKIV Spitfire though.

Martin.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's a good starting point for F1 car modelling - also has a bit of an airplane feel with the way the central body fits over the frame - feels a bit like a fuselage.

The colour was a custom mix of Tamiya White and a couple of drops of Tamiya Lemon Yellow. It takes very little yellow to tint the white though, I ended up using my entire bottle of white to get it back to this and I only added a few drops of Tamiya Lemon Yellow. I think Tamiya also has a Championship White in its spray can line.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...