28mm Pike & Shotte

Jim Wasley

I picked up this 28mm Pike & Shotte For King & Country set and also a box set of 18 Firelock storming party figures giving me a total of 88 infantry and 12 cavalry,I mixed some arms and weapons from other kits to break them up,I enjoy this era and I already have some 200 painted figures ready to do battle,also bought a model church for 28mm figures,Hope to build a Dio for it along with the figures(if I can find the space that is?),Well as you can see I have all figures together and just before this post I primed them all,so tomorrow the painting will begin,I also bought this Warlord Hail Caesar Germanic Chieftain metal figure with 2 wolf hounds,it was complete so all I had to do was paint it,just helped break up doing all those plastic figures.

Cheers Jim.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Thats a lot of work JIm,. Love the Chieftain and his puppies.

I can't do what you've done and assemble  loads of figures at once, all those little grey men staring at me  somehow puts me  off even starting painting. I tend to have about a dozen on the table at once and the rest  get assembled  a small batch at a time. I've just finished assembling the last of the Condottieri. I've ended up with over 2000 chaps but never more that 15 actually in front of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Thats a lot of work JIm,. Love the Chieftain and his puppies.

I can't do what you've done and assemble  loads of figures at once, all those little grey men staring at me  somehow puts me  off even starting painting. I tend to have about a dozen on the table at once and the rest  get assembled  a small batch at a time. I've just finished assembling the last of the Condottieri. I've ended up with over 2000 chaps but never more that 15 actually in front of me.

Thanks Andy,that is a lot of figures,I do not normally build this many at onetime,the last time I did this was a Middle Earth box kit.this box kit was so cheap and it also had the Warlord Pike & Shotte book with it,I just could not pass it up.and as I said I already had the Flintlock figures.I am much the same as you I normally don't have more than 20 figures at onetime,It was nice to have them all built and primed,these figures had so many seam lines to clean up,but with the painting I am going to break them up into blocks of 16 and some 4's,I want to have a real mix of colours. 2000 figures Ghee I only have 1900 to go,Oh I just turn them around if they start looking a bit funny at me,but then I don't paint their eyes till last 😉.

Cheers Jim.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

@Jim Wasley, @Silver Fox - looks like you’re a very experienced persons and have a lot of mojo to start work on such amount of little figures!

:wow:

Thanks Nikolay,Don't know about the experience some say a little crazy,Silver Fox is the one with the experience,I'm just along for the ride.

Cheers Jim.

• Like 1

The scary thing is that I'm down to my last 14 figures to paint! I did over 500 French Napoleonics last year, thank goodness for plastic figures as I would never have afforded that number of metals. Perry Miniatures are doing plastic Austrian Napoleonic cavalry next so that's  my next years military budget allocated.

The Pike and Shotte book is a good primer on the period from a gamers perspective the battles at the back of it are a fun read.

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

The scary thing is that I'm down to my last 14 figures to paint! I did over 500 French Napoleonics last year, thank goodness for plastic figures as I would never have afforded that number of metals. Perry Miniatures are doing plastic Austrian Napoleonic cavalry next so that's  my next years military budget allocated.

The Pike and Shotte book is a good primer on the period from a gamers perspective the battles at the back of it are a fun read.

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Thanks Andy,yes the book is a great reference with inspirational  photos in it,and the game details are beyond me,I did buy the Wargaming Compendium by Henry Hyde long time back nice book but I'm still none the wiser,it's a bit like hens teeth around here to find anyone interested in models or wargaming.  Wish I could say I was down to my last 14 figures,the company I have been buying all my figures from have had great deals,so hard to resist,they are in New Zealand so the exchange rate is good,the Aussie buck is worth so little in your country and America the postage is just not viable.And yes I have heard that Perry have these new Austrian figures,have not seen any yet but will keep a lookout.

Cheers Jim.  

Jim,

The Aussie dollar was pretty strong against the pound in March  went we visited.  Postage rate are shocking these days, for me the worst is US to UK often more than the product and with our customs and tax authorities  raising revenue against anything over £15 it is not worth buying from outside the EU.

the Perry  Austrian cavalry are not due for a while but have you seen their French Chassuers aCheval, they are fabulous.

Take care and get painting

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Jim,

The Aussie dollar was pretty strong against the pound in March  went we visited.  Postage rate are shocking these days, for me the worst is US to UK often more than the product and with our customs and tax authorities  raising revenue against anything over £15 it is not worth buying from outside the EU.

the Perry  Austrian cavalry are not due for a while but have you seen their French Chassuers aCheval, they are fabulous.

Take care and get painting

The postage is the killer in this country,and we are the same when buying from US to Oz,a $10 product can cost 3 time and more for postage and I lose 40 cents in every dollar not good,but it's funny I can and have bought things from UK with free postage to OZ.The Perry Chassuers A Cheval I have not seen but Warlord have the same that look good,but with 2 less figures,for a change their horses look the part.

Cheers Jim

Some progress on my figures,have one set of 4 based and finished and another 20 base painted,finding these figures a delight to paint nice detail,Also have some pics of a Dio on a sheet of MDF 1200mm X 600mm I started this weekend,wife said I could put it up in the spare room,Will be nice to place some of my figures on it and make more room on the shelves for more figures.it will be an on going thing as I add more detail and figures,

Cheers and happy modelling Jim.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2