HMS Lord Nelson Life Saving Devices

Airborne SF

I am building the HobbyBoss 1/350 HMS Lord Nelson.  At the stern of the ship there are two small PE cages hung over the side just forward of the Admiral's walk.  They appear to be a cage for a life preserver or small flotation device of some kind.  The piece that goes inside looks like four small balls joined together.  Similar to a four leaf clover but with balls instead of leaves.  Anybody have any idea what it is and more importantly, what color it should be painted?  Thanks for your help.

It sounds like a night lifebuoy, which featured four globes (copper, IIRC) in a cruciform shape and some means of illumination. I can't find anything about them online: I've seen a printed reference to them but for the moment I'm afraid  I can't recall where.

Manual of Seamanship: yellow-pine wooden cross and copper globes (both the globes and the cross typically not painted as far as I can tell). There's a pair of calcium lights that ignite on contact with water, kept upright but lead weights. One globe has a recess containing a spirit ration and a whistle.

In the interest of seeing this device for myself (like the elephant's child, I can be insatiably curious at times), I googled around and found this thread.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/4834-strange-objects-on-hms-monarch-anyone-know-what-they-are/

The useful bits are towards the  bottom of the thread, at the end of much speculation.