Airfix 1/72 Austin K-2 Ambulance

gamevender

This is an ancient kit that has be re-released many times It's not bad given it's age, but fit is iffy in some spots and detail is a little heavy handed. Anyway, here goes 

I started with basic assembly to a point where I needed to start making changes/adding detail Stretchers went in on rails, so I added these from Evergreen channel stock. The jump seat was rather crudely done, so I made one from sheet stock. The vents had sliding doors to open and close them, so those were added as was some sort of access plate on the floor and a small panel to the left of the door. I added the interior rib detail as well. The roof had an interior and framework added along with 4 lights, two vents and two boxes, the function of which I have no idea. I also opened up the window to the cab area and made the 'glass' from clear styrene. Then some framing around the ends of the lower stretcher racks and the cranks to raise or lower the stretcher beds and the interior was done.  

IMG_20190926_160512 IMG_20190926_160751

This is what it looks like after paint and a wash. 

IMG_20190929_104526

I have to say, that my camera picks up things my eyes never would. Please forgive any oversights. 

I next moved to the cab interior. Additions here are the hatchet on the door between the cab and rear compartment, the fire extinguisher, foot pedals, a bundle of "stuff" on the step to the rear, a new seat cover and side wall head pads for the co-driver/assistant, the corresponding small panel next to the door from the rear, a small wedge to hold the spare tire (or tyre if you prefer) and I made clear plastic inserts for the glass to be put in place after painting. 

IMG_20190929_101416

IMG_20190929_101403 IMG_20190929_101339

Now I can add the roof and get busy on the exterior. 

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 11

The kit rear doors are very over scale, almost looking more like armour plate, so I made new ones from thin sheet stock. The vents were made with PE 1/400 railings with two small sections cut and laid over one another to appear as a slotted vent.  This is the interior of one door and the exterior of the other. As the doors will be posed open, the exterior will not be visible, so I didn't fancy it up at all. 

IMG_20190930_152238

The kit does not supply the folding steps at the rear of the vehicle, so I made some out of cut up old PE fret, sheet plastic and stretched sprue. The dime is there for size perspective.

IMG_20190930_154854

• Like 8

Very nice work so far. I was talking to a guy who makes steam trains from lumps of metal (his words) while waiting at the Dentist's. He takes a photo of his work and then examines it to check for flaws. It's my go-to method now as it's a lot easier than squinting through a magnifier.

These old warriors can respond well to some TLC which you are demonstrating nicely.

I've hit a snag. I'm to the point where I need to apply the decals, but the ones I have are very old and yellowed. I tried making my own, but they just weren't up to snuff. In the States, you can't find 1/76-2 scale markings for vehicles very readily and those you can find are mostly German stuff. I'm going to SMW this year and expect I may be able to find an appropriate set there, so this project will be on hiatus for a while until I can track those down. 

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 1

I used to have problems painting red crosses. They never looked right until I learned what the proportions are. The red cross is made of five squares. Knowing this makes it easier to paint them.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, gamevender said:

I've hit a snag. I'm to the point where I need to apply the decals, but the ones I have are very old and yellowed. I tried making my own, but they just weren't up to snuff. In the States, you can't find 1/76-2 scale markings for vehicles very readily and those you can find are mostly German stuff. I'm going to SMW this year and expect I may be able to find an appropriate set there, so this project will be on hiatus for a while until I can track those down. 

I can send you some if you would like ??