1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

bentwaters81tfw

OK decal update, 

Nigel has just sent me these images of the first upscaled sheet that will become available with more on the way!  

I will pop these on as I am sent them. 

49356927722_31584b520f_k.jpg

The bad news? each set consisting of 3x A5 sheets will cost £34.99 rather than the £25 first advertised. 

This first sheet is an upscale of this 

https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=5&SUB=23&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=433&STKNR=433&STRH=3808&ORDN=2585&RNZ=238674

Edited by Phartycr0c
  • Like 5

I have to say that the price hike is something of a blow. £25 was not cheap but this feels like he's taking advantage of our desire to do a good job! I wonder if he'd sell just Sheet C with the stencils? I doubt it! I am more interested in the other sheet so I will make decision when I see that as my initial reaction with this one was that he must have got the RN serial wrong, colour-wise, then I remembered that airframe was white underneath!!

I look forward to see what comes next with some trepidation!

Simon

• Like 1

Talk about mixed feelings , I WANT that sheet so badly , mainly because my last 3 projects have been completed with off cuts from delcal sets I've had to buy , so my Meteor 1/32 F8 conversion , because I wanted a camo'ed version ended up costing me  something like £45 in decals alone , when the cost of the various sets I used was added up so while £35 seems a lot I'm prepared to pay is , albeit with a heavy heart

I always had an idea that these markings weren't going to be just £25 , so I was sort of resigned to it ,especially since they're essentially bespoke.. so bring it on , one more expense in what is rapidly becoming my most expensive project ever!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

OK decal update, 

Nigel has just sent me these images of the first upscaled sheet that will become available with more on the way!  

What’s the process for ordering and when is the bar open for orders? :D

I'm happy to sit here and wait to see which Gulf War set gets upscaled at present - hopefully with them not needing underwing codes it may be just be two sheets.

Cheers,

WV908

Those decals look good, wish I could find a Bucc to go with them! By the way of an update; the air intakes with new fan blades are nearing completion. Now if the modeller wants to use these new intakes, it will require a lot of dremeling, ask ColinR, he's collected enough dust to build a new Bucc. You will have to cut off the front section of the intake and fit the new one; now whilst this doesn't pose any unusual problems, this is labour intensive and the reason for this is quite simple, the fan blades have to be inserted from the rear to fit into a slot, hence the reason why I supplied the original fan blades undersized. I am going to leave out the rear burner cans, since it would mean chopping both ends of the fuselage, again unnecessary work, in my view. Happy buccaneering, I am learning a lot all the time, on how to improve and develop new ideas, I guess it comes working alongside such experienced and innovative modellers of such high calibre on this project. Keep up the good work.

Alan

Alan , you're right about the dust! , I had to buy an oldfashioned apron to keep the worst of it off my clothes!

As for the intakes, hah I'll pass I couldn't  face the cutting , sanding/grinding and sheer messing around they would entail , FOD guards  hide a multitude of sins, and add a nice splash of colour ro what can be a rather drab  aircraft , even with those wonderful markings 

On another note I've started working on the production version of the RAF pylons and so far they've taken about half the time the original masters took over Xmas, learning curve kicking in I guess .. so by the end of next week I should have some  completed ones ready for dispatch to interested parties.. 

ColinR

• Thanks 4

12 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

Alan , you're right about the dust! , I had to buy an oldfashioned apron to keep the worst of it off my clothes!

As for the intakes, hah I'll pass I couldn't  face the cutting , sanding/grinding and sheer messing around they would entail , FOD guards  hide a multitude of sins, and add a nice splash of colour ro what can be a rather drab  aircraft , even with those wonderful markings 

On another note I've started working on the production version of the RAF pylons and so far they've taken about half the time the original masters took over Xmas, learning curve kicking in I guess .. so by the end of next week I should have some  completed ones ready for dispatch to interested parties.. 

ColinR

I wouldn't mind a pair of outer pylons please. I'll PM you !

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, JohnT said:

What’s the process for ordering and when is the bar open for orders? :D

Im still waiting on Nigel to get back to me with that info together with what other sheets are to be enlarged. 

As soon as i know, you will know.....  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

At the rate my one is progressing , it'll be some time next year before I'm ready for paint - let alone decals !!

I am actually quite surprised said modellers got stuck-in, in the first place. Usually one keeps such items in their stash for years before taking the plunge and it goes some way to demonstrate how a rare subject has generated such interest. Of course, each wants to proceed cautiously and plan ahead, so I think we will see some long build sessions ahead.

Alan

I wanted a challenge , too many Tamiya spits and mustangs, where's the challenge in that !

Just recovering after a session trial casting pylons, and replacing all the detail lost when joining the fuselage halves together ..Nice to do some real modelling rather than just assembling!

• Like 2

Oh yes , the RAF pylons both inner and outer are identical to each other ,  and are completely different from the RN ones , 

spacer.png

RAF Buccaneer Pylons - in this case carrying Sea Eagles' - Yum..

Maybe not the best pic..

spacer.png

Definitely different - 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:16 AM, colin ritchie said:

Oh yes , the RAF pylons both inner and outer are identical to each other ,  and are completely different from the RN ones , 

spacer.png

RAF Buccaneer Pylons - in this case carrying Sea Eagles' - Yum..

Maybe not the best pic..

spacer.png

Definitely different - 

Just be careful regarding pylons - the above RN Buccaneer is an S.2C (non-Martel capability). The RN also had the S.2D (Martel capable) with the associated longer pylons - as seen in the photo below. 

809 NAS Blackburn Buccaneer S2 XV867 at RAF Honington 1st March 1977

photo courtesy of Andy Ford

regards

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

37 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

So I could get away with a set of RAF pylons on a Navy bird then?

Depends on whether the Buccaneer was an S.2D - You’ll have to check photo and serial references. Due to the size of the Martel missile the pylon spacing had to be widened to allow it to be carried. There was a Buccaneer website that listed every airframe, including such details. I do have access to this. 

Edited by TEZ

11 minutes ago, TEZ said:

Depends on whether the Buccaneer was an S.2D - You’ll have to check photo and serial references. Due to the size of the Martel missile the pylon spacing had to be widened to allow it to be carried. There was a Buccaneer website that listed every airframe, including such details. I do have access to this. 

Was it the Thunder and Lightning site?

• 3 weeks later...