1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

bentwaters81tfw

2 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

And me please . Strange how we all doubt the resin is strong enough!! Bet it is really!!

Simon I've lifted the box and carried it upstairs and I can tell you my legs aren't strong enough. :clif:

Besides if I get a second set I can use the resin ones for the Aerodynamix effort I have lurking in the stash taunting me evil thing though it is :devil:  In fact it can use all the "left overs" it can get !

In truth I suspect Alan was right when he said that the resin ones did the business but we are all too afraid to try it :D

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Simon I've lifted the box and carried it upstairs and I can tell you my legs aren't strong enough. :clif:

Besides if I get a second set I can use the resin ones for the Aerodynamix effort I have lurking in the stash taunting me evil thing though it is :devil:  In fact it can use all the "left overs" it can get !

In truth I suspect Alan was right when he said that the resin ones did the business but we are all too afraid to try it :D

Absolutely!! I think Alan would be well advised to have a word with Ali at Aerocraft as he's had some pretty useful brass castings done recently so he'll know a man (or woman?) who can!

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Absolutely!! I think Alan would be well advised to have a word with Ali at Aerocraft as he's had some pretty useful brass castings done recently so he'll know a man (or woman?) who can!

Not at those prices! It would be over £35 a set and then minimum numbers and all that sort of thing. Nobody has a monopoly in this business because knowledge is power, unfortunately there are those who think they can keep trade secrets to themselves but I trust in science not medieval magic. Its in my interests to pass on cost savings to my customers. This is not aimed at individuals but rather companies who think they have a right to steam roller everyone else. 

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can see that I am going to have order up a pallet load of brass; now let me see, where did I put the bankruptcy notice! 

As a way of an update, I have made in total, 36 Buccaneer kits, many from international modellers. Now, equally, there are those who have stated that the Buccaneer is crap and poor quality and that they are waiting for an IM version. Those comments, unsurprisingly are from these shores, however, I am not in the least bit deterred from developing new projects. Its a learning curve and progress is often made by advancement and feedback. If something is wrong, then tell me and I will work out a way to fix it. 

Alan

• Like 4

I think if I ever do a re-run of the Buccaneer production, then prices would have to come down substantially for those members who have already invested in one and who are looking for a second airframe. Also there would have to be major improvements to the airframe and some additional parts to enhance its function. I originally had an S.1 under development but put it aside, there are minor differences. Just a thought, as if I don't have enough on my plate already.

Alan

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I think if I ever do a re-run of the Buccaneer production, then prices would have to come down substantially for those members who have already invested in one and who are looking for a second airframe. Also there would have to be major improvements to the airframe and some additional parts to enhance its function. I originally had an S.1 under development but put it aside, there are minor differences. Just a thought, as if I don't have enough on my plate already.

Alan

Alan

You are talking yourself into another project here you mad impetuous fool !:D

John

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Alan

You are talking yourself into another project here you mad impetuous fool !:D

John

I think I could resist an S.1 but I quite fancy another S.2 !! But you are right, he is mad and he is impetuous! Thank goodness. I can see crowd funding coming in to play here - but that might put too much pressure on Alan.

59 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The only reason I would like metal gear is the fact that I do a fair few shows, and transportation can take it's toll on a model. White metal gear tends to bend as well.

I have never been a fan of white metal, as you say it tends to bend and small bits also tend to break off easily. Also, there may be a health and safety issue with white metal, I am not quite sure on that, although under current EU laws, materials known to cause harm are prohibited. Whilst brass is preferred, Aluminium is stronger as it absorbs mechanical shock much more efficiently but is more expensive to produce.

Whilst on the subject of the Buccaneer and as it is FAA, as is the case with the Spey Phantom, since FAA, is my main theme, I have looked long and hard on how to improve my design techniques on the F4 and using the Bucc as a yardstick to avoid some of the design errors that occurred, I shall be using a new type of slide mould technology to facilitate more efficient moulding. So far, the F4 has been the longest project I have ever worked on and the current situation has not helped either. And whilst I like Brit types, they are often quirky designs that are so different from everything else, to the point that it can be a pain in the neck. At the risk of thread drift, I will keep things short; for instance, I have 20 pages both sides, of geometrical calculations, just for the airframe alone, so you can see design is never an easy task. The Buccaneer was a set piece and was generally ok and remarkably, the air flow characteristics of the big Spey F4, work out the same as the Buccaneer, which is a testament to the original engineers at both St Louis and BAC.

So by necessity, the Buccaneer has served as a launch pad, to pioneer new ideas to make the Phantom attainable. 

Alan

• Like 3

Alan, your technical ability leaves me completely floored - I have no idea what you have to do!

Talking metal gear though, yes, I agree with you. SAC make nice looking metal gear but in most cases it is just a direct copy of the kit plastic and, yes, can be frighteningly soft! By comparison, G-Factor in the USA use brass - no doubt the alloy mix is a secret! - and that is highly thought of - and expensive. There's absolutely no chance of it bending though, I'm confident about that. Paul Fisher used brass gear for some of his kits, although the earlier ones were normally resin. Its a good evolution in model design, providing a) its necessary to have the strength and b) it does what it says on the tin, ie doesn't bend!  

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/flyingSmodels/posts/pfbid02NSVrLBW2xk9CdKi5e4xj2Uk3wVLfU2Bn9KMKjSZS4AcnzRSDAPpWBYh53WV9kXhRl

Flying S Models

Working on a bunch of upgrades for the 1/32 Icelandic Fine Art Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer. Upgrades include new cockpit with MB. Mk.6 seat, new gear bays, folded radar nose, new weapons and ECM pods and such. Will also be working on a split airbrake as well as some folding wings.

312091640-621509606148467-69672392941326
311994600-621509812815113-17133273334548
312061875-621509912815103-62601430962737
311901356-621509962815098-82047545904712
311839642-621510029481758-10457806799017
311864389-621510086148419-67731218476428

V.P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 years too late for me I'm afraid , BUT a pair of seats would be rather nice = and of course the bit item the kit desperately needs and that I tried creating  - the RAF pylons 

May I suggest posting this in joining Large Scale Planes forum there's a Buc in progress there  - link to the build thread =

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/93494-miss-jolly-roger/