1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

bentwaters81tfw

12 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Fair point Alan but I’ll wait until the next sheet is out - next week - then I’ll make a decision 

Next week you say? Looks like I'll be doubling up...😏

I only say that Alan because a few posts above Dave mentioned a second sheet in a week or so I think. I imagine it will be the Gulf War sheet but I hope I’m wrong!!

• Sad 1

Got mine to-day as well , I'll be replacing and adding a bunch of stencils, but I think the rest of the sheet will be put to one side form my next Buc 🤨

I'm  no sure if the red walkways that go over the engine covers are the right size for the kit m I havn't tried them for actual size yet , but I'm happy enough with myscratcg built ones , using red stripes,  - 

As fro being ready , well see you at Telford maybe!

• Like 1

I've started building mine now over on the Buccaneer STGB. I have the Kitsworld decals as well, the stencils are very good and @Simon Cornes there's one FAA option on the sheet which I'm going to use. The kit is essentially a vanilla RN S.2 so that option gives the least amount of extra work!

I can see this will keep us nice and busy, make sure you've got your supply of dust masks topped up and your dremel fully charged! 

One other very nice point...my kit was missing a couple of bits which Alan very quickly got out to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

I've started building mine now over on the Buccaneer STGB. I have the Kitsworld decals as well, the stencils are very good and @Simon Cornes there's one FAA option on the sheet which I'm going to use. The kit is essentially a vanilla RN S.2 so that option gives the least amount of extra work!

I can see this will keep us nice and busy, make sure you've got your supply of dust masks topped up and your dremel fully charged! 

One other very nice point...my kit was missing a couple of bits which Alan very quickly got out to me. 

Good for you Alan! Please correct me if I'm wrong but the FAA Bucc option is EDSG top surfaces with white undersides up to 3/4 fuselage height? I am hoping to do an all over EDSG machine so the undersurface stencils will be the wrong colours for a grey jet?

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Good for you Alan! Please correct me if I'm wrong but the FAA Bucc option is EDSG top surfaces with white undersides up to 3/4 fuselage height? I am hoping to do an all over EDSG machine so the undersurface stencils will be the wrong colours for a grey jet?

Or might be the other way round, the stencils are designed for the RAF dark colours 🤔

20 hours ago, Alan P said:

Or might be the other way round, the stencils are designed for the RAF dark colours 🤔

Not sure Alan, I could do with seeing a large image of the two sheets to be able to compare. I know that the markings under the rear fuselage - around the hook - vary in colour. The Airfix 1/48th sheet has them in 3 different colours if I remember rightly. 

59 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Not sure Alan, I could do with seeing a large image of the two sheets to be able to compare. I know that the markings under the rear fuselage - around the hook - vary in colour. The Airfix 1/48th sheet has them in 3 different colours if I remember rightly. 

Just had a proper look at the 1/72 images of the two sheets I had in mind and then the 1/32 sheet to see what you actually get and I'm now happy that there is enough stencilling to do an overall EDSG machine. The only thing I will lack is the pale blue/grey serials and RN titles for an 809 airframe. I'm thinking I may need stencils to sort that out but I know a man who can! So I am ordering a set, having just spoken to the chap at Kits World. He mentioned that a Gulf War sheet wil be coming out - I didn't ask when - but I doubt very much that he intends to do the sheet with the HOSM lettered bomb bay door in 1/32 so I could have been waiting forever!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Just had a proper look at the 1/72 images of the two sheets I had in mind and then the 1/32 sheet to see what you actually get and I'm now happy that there is enough stencilling to do an overall EDSG machine. The only thing I will lack is the pale blue/grey serials and RN titles for an 809 airframe. I'm thinking I may need stencils to sort that out but I know a man who can! So I am ordering a set, having just spoken to the chap at Kits World. He mentioned that a Gulf War sheet wil be coming out - I didn't ask when - but I doubt very much that he intends to do the sheet with the HOSM lettered bomb bay door in 1/32 so I could have been waiting forever!!

Here's a scan (spoilt for security) which shows multicoloured (black/white/yellow) stencils. Not sure how this stacks against the Airfix ones, but you probably won't need all of them... 

2020-05-15_02-33-09

Thanks Alan. The only thing I noticed that wasn't on this sheet was a pair of red and white Fire Access panel markings. Not sure if thats a problem or not for an EDSG Bucc - I haven't looked that hard at the Airfix sheet - but a bit of white decal film might sort it!

Mine turned up today but now I'm a big vexed because Nigel didn't tell me last week that he had the HOSM sheet on the verge of being released but he did mention the Gulf War, hence my comments above. So, in the belief that the RN Test squadron sheet would not materialise in 1/32 I bought the first sheet! To be fair, it's a case of 6 of 1 and half dozen of another. I have gained red/blue tactical roundels but lost pale blue/grey 48" underwing serials and an 8" fuselage serial - but I don't know if those letter/number combinations would have been of any use to me anyway.

What I can say is that both sheets include the same stencils - to S44 - and I think that it would be possible to decal two airframes from one decal set, possible with an additional sheet of yellow and red Xtradecal pin linings to make up walkway limits, etc? You can also get 8" serials in black or white from Xtradecal but I think it will have to be stencils to do the pale blue/grey 8" or 4" and 48" underwing serials and RN titles for a late FAA jet, but thats do-able whereas the real issue was a stencil set, which we now have. The only stencils that I can see that are missing are the 6 (or 7) white star NATO refuelling point symbols that go along the right hand side of the fuselage spine - presumably to indicate fuel tank connections? Marked also F34 and F40 fuel grades. Are they available on the Hawk stencil sheet I wonder? Don't think so, certainly not 6 or 7 of them! Probably easier to just make a stencil and to paint them on and ignore the F40/F34 bit?  

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a few more of Alan's kit around so you could do an RAF one and an FAA one?!!

At the risk or proposing yet more spending the refuling star symbols are available as part of any Phantom Stencil sheet , I ooked at them fro my one, but thankfully XX889 didn't have them later in its careerm, at least so the pics suggest 

Pals blue numbering , especially fro the 8" serials in Blue - have a look at the ModelDecal 1/71 V bomber set from Fantasy Printshop , it has a whole LOAD of numbers in Pale Blue that might be applicable 

Good luck  - If anyone is interested , moving to the final stages with my one ,  c/C antennas  just completed what my wife insists on calling the Bucc Butt Plugs , Engine Exhaust FOD guards  

Where does she get this language from!!!

33 minutes ago, colin ritchie said:

At the risk or proposing yet more spending the refuling star symbols are available as part of any Phantom Stencil sheet , I ooked at them fro my one, but thankfully XX889 didn't have them later in its careerm, at least so the pics suggest 

Pals blue numbering , especially fro the 8" serials in Blue - have a look at the ModelDecal 1/71 V bomber set from Fantasy Printshop , it has a whole LOAD of numbers in Pale Blue that might be applicable 

Good luck  - If anyone is interested , moving to the final stages with my one ,  c/C antennas  just completed what my wife insists on calling the Bucc Butt Plugs , Engine Exhaust FOD guards  

Where does she get this language from!!!

Grief Colin, is she not civilised? Too much of the old 'Heavy' eh? Thanks for the tip!! Just checked - you might mean Freightdog sheet FSD 72-006 Anti flash roundels and codes. Thats certainly the right shade of blue anyway. I think a 4" serial using 1/72nd decals would be a 9" serial in 1/72nd so maybe not quite right but maybe close enough! Not sure if they're 4" or 8" now though. I reckon the underwing serials are 48", based on ratio-ing up the 8" serials on the KW Bucc sheet, with 48" roundels. I think I'm going to be looking at stencils for those, and the RN titles. Damned pity you can't just photo-enlarge the 1/72nd sheet! Might be easier using the Airfix 1/48th or Model Alliance 1/48th Bucc decals as a starting point? I havent even decided which jet I want to build yet, just that its the 809 final scheme.

Well havng been married to me for almost 30 years m it seems my charming nature rubber off on her , poor soul!

Yes that was the sheet  I meant , I found that the 24" nose numbers scaled down almost perfectly for the rear numbers used by 12Sq 

Just put in what I hope is my final order to Hannants for bits and bobs, including lights , both Nav and Landing , and An/ALE 40 chaff dispensers, saves scratchbuilding !

Ah, I see you manipulated your wife’s good character!!

Sounds like the job is just about done then! You’ll need to write an idiot guide for the rest of us to follow I think! How did you find the undercarriage? I was concerned that it might not be up to the weight of the model but I recall Alan saying that was all factored into the design. I almost feel the need to get cracking with mine but there are at least 2 projects (1 I’ve not started yet) that I need to finish first.

• Like 1

My darling wife is a very tolerant soul , and very long suffering - probably just as well as it turns out !

Undercarriage - Hmm ,, well the first thing I did was to add dowels into the U/C bay to plug the legs into to give some lateral support , and then on to the axles. I'm still working on that , but 've added a sleeve through the centre of the main wheels to allow me to use something that'll take the strain, and as of this morning I looking at a wooden dowel soaked in Superglue  and some subtle re-enforcing of the legs themselves - and the more of less permanent use of a cradle for  those times it's not on display!

I wish I had the facilities for  lost wax brass casting!

Hey ho on we go!

Just now, Icelandic Fine Art said:

For all you ardent Buccaneers' out there, I am working on a new set of undercarriage legs but its several months away. They will be based on the original design but will be cast in Aluminium or brass. 

Alan

Dont know about ardent.  Bonkers maybe :D

Can you stick me down for a set please?  I'm sure the ones that are with it are ok but as I wont be building for several months myself I'm happy to wait for a brass set.

Not being able to build at present means I get more "planning" time.