1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

bentwaters81tfw

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry folks, I have nothing further to report on the Decal front other than I have submitted a further request to Fantasy Printshop to get their take on whetehr they would be interested in taking the challenge. 

I think the big issue with the decal side is the very limited "one off" nature of the requests.  

As far as a company goes I would imagine they would much prefer to to 20 of one sheet rather than a few of several if you see what I mean. 

I get the feeling that even at £35 KW wouldnt be making too much in the way of profit. 

That said, ill keep chasing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2020 at 09:20, Phartycr0c said:

As far as a company goes I would imagine they would much prefer to to 20 of one sheet rather than a few of several if you see what I mean. 

I get the feeling that even at £35 KW wouldnt be making too much in the way of profit. 

That said, ill keep chasing. 

Thanks for your efforts here.  I can see that it needs to be commercially viable for the retailer and it does rather make sense to so a single run of one sheet with a few select options.  Adding a decal sheet as AM even at a relatively high price does not put me off as the model merits the additional expense.  No point in spoiling the ship for a halfpenny of tar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colin ritchie said:

Well if it helps I'll order at least 2 sets , 

:ditto:

(Shhh - I have 2 of those Orrible Aerodynamix kits to fettle some day so extra decals more then welcome)

(Would it help them if they took pre-orders so they could gauge commitment and sales)

Edited by JohnT
had an idea

I’m afraid that I only require the one Bucc set but I hope that Kits World are as good as their indication ( I’m loathe to say ‘word’ but KW implied that they would help so it’s a notice of intent as far as I’m concerned ) roll on!!

• Like 1

TBH I could manage with just the stencil sheet. I know some decal producers (Draw decal and F-DCAL) will only print to order. As the artwork is done, I would think this would be the best option. Just a matter of upscaling and print.

• 1 month later...

Well,,,,,,

Just finished the first coat of Future to protect the grey as I mask it up for the camo green .. so yes progress , lots of progress just no updates , Why? well  I'm working at home  at the moment and working , much longer hours than usual , which is eating into to my modelling time, (NHS IT - so you can imagine!)

The 4 Sea Eagles are complete as are the pylons and launch rails , and they are all painted , ready fro decaling , and therein lies the rub,

No blessed decals , other then what I can patch together, kit World hasn't got back to me , so I'm falling back on my original plan, piece it together from what's in the kit , and a load of other sources, should be starting it next week, once the painting is done , The wraparound scheme is a PITA, but at least in 32nd its a lot easier to mask. 

For the Intakes which s the real bugbear of the kit has been taken care of thanks to a set of FOD guards, yes its a cheat!

I'll stir myself and get an update posted to LSM in the next week or so , 

Great news Colin so I think we’ll all be keen to see your update in a couple of weeks or so. I was looking at the Airfix 1/48th sheet and, even at 1/32 the stencil markings are pretty small so maybe not a big problem. For a RN jet in the all over EDSG scheme getting the right shade of pale blue is key to it all. Even Airfix had at least 2 shades and the more recent sheet pale blue was too dark so beware!!

Keep going Colin!!

The stencils are the real challenge ,

I've ordered the Kit world set in 72nd just to get an idea of the positioning of the stencil positions ,

As for the markings themselves I;ve got some Hawk sheets in 32 which may provide the basis of them, but we;ll see , my only real issue is the lack of Blue numbers for the tail , for the record I'm doing XX899 since that's my current desktop background image!

Anyone got any update on Kits World doing the decals? If not happening then perhaps we might need to look at a bespoke set from a commercial printer. Costly but worth it in the end given the cost of the kit. 

Hi John

I emailed them today to say that I’d be interested in a sheet if they do one but I’ve had no reply so far. They may be restricting their activities for the time being. Regarding a Plan B, well it might be necessary after everything returns to normal but Kits World had even allocated a product reference to the first set  - the mainly RAF sheets - so that sounds like a fair commitment. 
I was looking at the set in the Airfix 1/48th kit today and the stencils would be pretty small, even in 1/32. Quite a lot of yellow ‘square bracket’ style trestle marks and then the yellow stencils that go down the port side of the spine. But some of this is on the KW proof we have seen on LSP. Probably better to sit tight until normality returns!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that simon, I'd love to have a complete st of markings available , but I'm pretty sure, given he current conditions I pretty sure I'm going have to fall back on my own resources.  Its not a huge issue since most of the markings I need are available in one for or another ,  I'll be the 3rd time in the last 2 years I've had to do this, (Tried finding markings for a camo'd Meteor F8!) , so its too big a stretch .. watch this space !

On 07/04/2020 at 08:57, colin ritchie said:

watch this space !

Colin,

I see the Bucc is all cammed up in its splendid grey/green scheme. As of now, it probably is the only RAF camo version in the world! It is really shaping up and a trendsetter it will become; once it is all toned down with some decals and bombed up, will be a serious force to be reckoned with, I don't think I have been this excited in ages to actually see one of these big birds come to life, thanks to your exquisite skills and ingenuity. This project will definitely will be the talk of the town. As for decals, you can see how difficult it is to get any job done by a manufacture and the significant time delay involved; the truth is, manufacturers are not interested in small scale makers like myself and we are more of a burden than an asset. No doubt in time, the said decals will emerge but I reckon one can build a skyscraper a lot quicker. 

Alan

• Like 1

Alan , that comment has made the last 6 months of effort worthwhile!

Thank you so much ,  

The decal issues is really a huge issue for people like us who prefer to go our own route. The decals you provided in the model will be really useful, especially te stenciling.

To be honest the only serious issue as regards markings  is the absence of the RAF specific White maintenance stencils , the vast of the airframe specific markings, serials etc are fairly simple to put together , along with the stiping for walkways 

There is still a long way to go with the model , but at least there is finally light at the end of the tunnel , I spent a month or so just trying to persuade myself to push on betond the completed fuselage , but it was worth it I think!

For the record I will be doing this aircraft 

spacer.png

XX899  a beautiful magnificent beast!

Thanks fro the chance to build this beast Alan - and on to the Phantom!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin ritchie said:

XX899  a beautiful magnificent beast!

Thanks fro the chance to build this beast Alan - and on to the Phantom!!!

Yes, I remember well the RAF Buccs especially when they use to operate out of RAF Honiton, it seemed only like yesterday! Of course, I was an air cadet then of only small stature and the Buccaneer was huge, with a ruggedness and brutish presence about it. 

You may not know this just yet but I have closed down, permanently, as the current situation has forced this. Its not likely I will emerge out of this situation in good form, however, I will still be on this site and will remain open here, the Phantom is moving forward slowly and surely. 

Alan

• Sad 2

Alan , that;s really awful news, but I suppose not that surprising , especially with Wingnut  Models apparently closing as well, hard times all round, and who knows what will be left after things get back to whatever is the new normal.

I'll be honest we're ok at the moment , I work  in IT in a part of the NHS, and my wife works in the Civil service , so we're better off than some oers, not that we're taking anything for granted these days.

For me the Buccaneer force to me will always be the Scottish Maritime Strike wing , 12 & 208 squadrons thunderings across the North Sea scaring the gulls and the fishermen equally , I do have the old story told to me by an Air Traffic Controller in Aberdeen telling me about a meeting between Aberdeen ATC  and the RAF to avoid near misses with Offshore Helicopter traffic, he was told by a Buc Pilot ,(off the record), that they occasionally got down to 12 feet  off the ea at 500 knots .. depending on he sea state ! - what a legend

Rest assured if you choose to contine un some form  , anything you produce in 32nd I'm up for - ok! 

• Thanks 1

On 13/04/2020 at 19:11, colin ritchie said:

Rest assured if you choose to continue in some form, anything you produce in 32nd I'm up for - ok! 

Keep up the good work ColinR and looking forward to seeing the big Buccaneer ready for take-off. The Phantom should be finished by the end of June, initially only the RAF version and the FAA to follow sometime after. I am aiming to complete the 32nd Jaguar GR.1/GR3 by the end of September. Now that I can concentrate on some real projects and get rid of the commercial side of things, I will be able to forge ahead with some interesting projects in the pipeline. This national situation may have finished the business but it hasn't tempered my enthusiasm.

Alan

• Like 3

Great to hear that you’re driving forward with everything! I’m most certainly up

for a Phantom FGR.2 and if there’s a Jaguar in the offing then a Jag would be very desirable to!!

Great stuff Alan!!

Keep up the good work ColinR and looking forward to seeing the big Buccaneer ready for take-off. The Phantom should be finished by the end of June, initially only the RAF version and the FAA to follow sometime after. I am aiming to complete the 32nd Jaguar GR.1/GR3 by the end of September. Now that I can concentrate on some real projects and get rid of the commercial side of things, I will be able to forge ahead with some interesting projects in the pipeline

All tight , It's official Alan is Trying to bankrupt me , and I suspect other modellers, That is SUPERB news, and put me down for one of each 

As for the Buc, all large decaling is nor done, Roundels, walkways, sq badges etc, just the stenciling to go , Thanks goodness fro the Xtradecal Lightning Stencil set1!!