1/32 Buccaneer anyone?

bentwaters81tfw

Alan Wilson of Icelandic Fine Arts dropped by our table at It Ives/Brampton show today, with his production master for a Spey Bucc. This is the RN version, with the flush bomb bay door. It will come with a full pit, gear bays, slipper tanks, Palouste, buddy pod and Martels he tells me. Closed bomb bay on this one to avoid a distortion problem. You could always cut your own. Alan's composite Aluminium/Resin structure like the Vulcan. Should be ready in a few weeks at £180.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, colin ritchie said:

I think I need one of these buccaneers and I mean as soon as it becomes available .. anyone have contact details for the supplier 

Alan's company name is Icelandic Fine Art. Alternatively, try [email protected]

I was talking to him yesterday at Brampton. He is a very nice fella. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Adding some info.

42 minutes ago, turnerdad said:

Hang on a mo. Are you telling us that we’ll be able to buy a 1/32 Bucc soon???🤭

Only if you promise to bring it to a club meeting, where we can ALL drool over her!

• Like 1

Now I know this is going to be a deal breaker, but Alan has said the pit has not been designed with offset seats, you will need to make some adjustments.

Please also remember that like the Vulcan, the Master was produced many years ago, and not with the original intention of any series production. He has made some adjustments to the production master, and will make a few more tweaks. It does have the extended wingtips, so you will need to sand them back if you want early ones. :tomato:

At the request of Alan,

Here is the box art;

Box art for 1/32 Buccaneer S.2

He has confirmed in line with bentwaters81tfw that it will be released with the flush version of the payload bay which will be closed, but is looking at producing the bulged payload bay and the bay interior once the production run has been completed, to supply those who want it. 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Buccaneers,

Well, it would seem just as I am ready to enter production, the complaints roll in like a red carpet and there is no pleasing some. Now I have had to delays things as the die-hards have demanded 'this and that' to be done to the Brick and just when I was looking forward to it as well. This is after all for skilled modellers, surely the imperfections, which are minor, I might add and some re-scribing and milliput is too much for some, now I find myself having to make a few readjustments and where is the time and resources I ask, nowhere to be found, that's for sure. Let's look at it from another perspective, this 'Bucc' was intended for modellers not assemblers, so I find myself catering for 'this and that' and the worth of this model, is what the modeller can turn it into, with skill and imagination. My view is, if something is wrong, then correct it, you would be surprised how much can be achieved with some milliput, tools and a little bit of sanding. Where have the all the skills gone? Are we reaching crisis point, where if there is one rivet missing or a line out of place, a national emergency is declared. Come on modellers, lets be sensible here, I am only human like everybody else and time and resources is at a premium; there is no such thing as the perfect model, yet there are those who seem to chase that illusive ghost. There is nothing essentially wrong in outline or scale with the 'Bucc' but one has to put the work into it, in order to reap the rewards. so lets leave behind all the grumbling and move forward together, so that I can get on with other equally interesting projects and keep the dream alive. 

Alan

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Well I’m invested in one no matter what ..I consider myself a model maker..creating stuff from scratch and odds and sods .some people want a perfect model from the box ..doubt it will ever happen ..

me im happy with a 1/32 Buccaneer and I’ll adapt it how I want to..

my money is sat and waiting.

terry

• Like 3

:ditto:  i’m in. Must be better than my Aerodynamix effort waiting in the stash and given Trumpys track record on British aircraft shapes if they ever did a curvy Bucc it would look more like an F-117 anyway 

• Haha 1

On 01/10/2019 at 22:39, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Hello Buccaneers,

Well, it would seem just as I am ready to enter production, the complaints roll in like a red carpet...

Well, I for one appreciate your efforts and no doubt there are many others here, who do as well!

As a member of the genus Homo Modelus Infruriatus Erectus, we can be a fickle bunch but there is nothing wrong with being an "Assembler", just as there is nothing wrong with being a "Modeller", as I'm sure that we have all been both when building the latest Aifix, Eduard, Tamiya, (insert your choice of manufacturer here) kit and then added all those little bits that make the finshed item stand out from the norm!

I've purchased the Gannet and as you say, it intended for modellers, not assemblers and was bought under that understanding and fully accept that the Buccaneer will follow suit and I will be buying one, knowing that!

It's part of the fun, albeit sometimes frustrating:D

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Morning all,

Posted on request from Alan,

An updated photo of the Buccaneer kit, with something else ;)

Icelandic fine arts 1/32 Buccaneer

Alan will be along shortly to provide commentary.

Cheers,

WV908

Calling all Buccaneers,

The 'Brick' has finally emerged in its pre-production guise with all the usual problems associated with production problems, its as per normal (SNAFU). Now before I sink my jaws into the main topic, I can hear voices in the ether, commenting on the shape of things and that this and that is wrong, well if it is, then fix it; I can assure you all that this Buccaneer is pretty much representative in outline as the real thing. The design and parts are basic and it is up to the modeller to detail them; I think you will find the cockpit is more detailed than one would find in an IM kit of any scale, bar none. As this is an old design, the backseat is not offset to give the Nav a better view as it was originally intended; I was not aware of this information until late in the day. Anyway the full bathtub with bang seats, super detailed, control column and dials and side panels with full details. The user will need to further consult reference material to complete this as I am a little rusty on the full bathtub setup, especially as this Bucc is 20 years, my memory has faded. One can always consult John T who knows where a good Buccaneer is located. The clear transparency, canopy is still under development but it looks very good; there is a clear casting for the Navigator's station, which is not shown in the photo.

Now onto some of  the main issues: firstly, the tail cone on the airframe as seen is incorrect in shape and profile, which is why an extra set of tail cones are provided so that the user can saw off the offending articles and replace them with the better shaped parts. One of the problems I encountered which I had compensated for, was excessive shrinkage, it is simply unavoidable on a casting of this size but one must still do the calculations to satisfy the requirements; so consequently the model is a few millimetres shorter than originally calculated; that being said, the airframe lines up ok, the only real issue is the underneath where the panel lines are out of alignment; they will have to be re-scribed and filled to bring them up to standard. As you all know by now, the main airframe and wings are made out of Aluminium resin matrix, that is essentially an isocyanate polyol polymer, which is a long chain molecule made up of shorter molecular chains; now the logic behind this is to impart dimensional stability and rigidity, so in theory it does not twist or warp but it also has some disadvantages, which I will explain later. The important point is, in order to maintain the directional stability of the airframe, I recommend keeping the two halves taped together with a low tack tape, to reduce unwanted movement. Now one of the minor disadvantages is there is a small gap of about 2mm behind the forward undercarriage bay but it is easily corrected. Also, the ends, nose and tail tends to flare out a little but nothing a little tape won't solve.

Now let me explain the science behind polymers, they form the basis of plastics and resins; with resins, they are basically isocyanates with a polyol base and together they form a long chain molecule called a polymer; these polymer chains move about when they solidify and cause warping and twisting, now the reason the aluminium is used, is to impart mechanical and dimensional stability. However, aluminium by itself is a weak material but when alloyed with other materials and in the correct proportion, it imparts great strength and structural integrity. It basically resists movement by forcing the polymer chain to move in only one direction and not in all directions. Alignment problems can still be addressed by heating the parts and gently easing the parts into shape. If one polishes or scrapes the surface, a metallic appearance becomes apparent. It can be painted as per normal.

Now as Bentwaters (Frank) has already explained, it comes with a Palouste and probe and drogue pod and Martel missiles; a word about the Martels, they are not incorrect the way they look, they are designed to a general standard, so that they can be shortened and the fins reshaped to the correct shape; the front part of the nose can be cut down to make a shorter version, so don't flood my email box with complaints! There are scribed panel lines throughout, which are not visible in the photos. The air intakes go back further than required, so the user will have to find out how far back the turbine blades are located; again one can consult references or find somebody with a long arm. There are guide rails in the cockpit that allow the bathtub to fit into it; the user may have to shave off some material from the sidewalls in order to get the wall panels to fit. If the modeller wants display the cockpit open, mark and tape the separation line on the canopy and saw off, restoring the lost material with some filler. These canopies are very expensive to make, so I was not able to supply a separate section, even though I have the master for one. I am in the process of compiling hundreds of pages of drawings, diagrams and notes on the technical aspects of the Bucc; I have finally managed to get it down to 64 pages! These are the most comprehensive set of drawings ever comprised for such a project.

A word about the undercarriage, it is designed to take the weight of the Bucc, I have done all the calculations, so before one decides to flood my email box with recommendations on the use of titanium and other fancy metals, remember the costs have been kept down so that all you Brick fanatics can get your hands on one. It will come with laser decals for FAA only and with the bare minimum, I am not a multi-million dollar empire, I am one man, with limited resources. That's about as much as I can think of right now and, remember, if you as modellers think this is a poor effort on my part, bare in mind, it has taken 20 years of my life to get this far!

The likely date that this will be released is around November some time but production will be slow, due to the labour intensive nature of it. 

Kind regards

Alan

Icelandic Fine Art

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1