1/72 Anigrand VAK 191B - VTOL

Just finished this full resin 1/72 Anigrand VAK 191B.  This was a commission build and is an aircraft I had never even heard of.  First ever full resin build.  My personal thoughts are that resin is great for smaller items like ejector seats, cockpits etc that allow the extreme detail come to life.  I don't think its suited to a full air frame as injection moulding allows much finer details. 

Build instructions were for an in service machine rather than a prototype.

Anyway, here is a link to the Wiki about the aircraft and a few photos: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFW_VAK_191B

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 28

That looks exceptional for an Anigrand kit. What was it like to build and did you do any checks for accuracy or did you just build it? One came up on Ebay recently but given Anigrands propensity for producing rubbish it was too big a risk as the retail price is £78 and even secondhand it went for around half that.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.  The kit wasn't too bad to build although I did have to clean out every panel line and the fit of the canopy was awful.  It isn't very clear either and was quite thick plastic.  The cost of the kit is very steep and it was built straight out of the box.  Didn't check it for accuracy.

Excellent work and splendid choice of subject! Interesting operational plane that would have made. During the Cold War, the vulnerability of long runways to enemy attack would make investment in a VTOL air force the most obvious plan but still NATO air forces kept using big static and visible runways. I never quite understood why types like the VAK-191 didn't see widespread service (luckily there were two RAFG sqns of Harrier to save the day...) Anyway, great job!

Jay

• Like 1

Very nice of build of a fairly obscure type, especially if you are younger than about 60. 

A lot of resins do lack the level of detail associated with modern kits. However, some resin kits are exquisite, for example, the SBS DH88 is  beautifully  detailed and moulded. The CMR Firebrand is also very well detailed. It has a one piece wing with an integral undercarriage bay with an undercut to allow full detail. 

• Like 1

A rare subject with a nice finish. Top view of the aircraft is quite Harrier-ish. I doubt it went beyond experimental stage so the scheme must be some kind of what-if, right?

I have a memory from old Air Enthusiasts (later Air International) or even a Flying Review International of the mockup being in a similar scheme. Will have look through what I have. 

Opening doors, lift fans that are just added weight in forward flight......................it'll never catch on 😉

Great work, looks really good