Tiran 5 - IDF, The Negev Desert, Mid-1980s - 1/35 Tamiya - FINISHED and in the Gallery 02/01/20

PlaStix

Hi Stix. I saw that you were you were maybe wanting some assistance with regards to the fuel lines. Is this schematic any use?

7043a3fb-0670-4dcc-bb6a-17bc5d11cb15.jpg

You could also look at my build from two and a half years ago to see how I did them.

HTH's.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
typo.
  • Thanks 2

On 14/10/2019 at 16:58, modelling minion said:

Very nice paint work on the hull and wheels Stix, as usual, it will make a great base for your further colours and weathering.

Hi Craig and thank you for your kind comments. I didn't get as much time on this project over the weekend as I'd hoped so I didn't advance the paintwork any further.

On 14/10/2019 at 17:05, Bullbasket said:

Only one suggestion Stix, carry on as you are, You're doing a fine job (as usual).

John.

Thank you very much John.

On 14/10/2019 at 21:35, Robert Stuart said:

:ditto:

Looking good Stix, very nice :)

Thank you Robert, most kind.

On 17/10/2019 at 14:40, Silenoz said:

this is all painted by brush???? 

Yep!! Has to be - I don't have an airbrush or anywhere to use one.

On 17/10/2019 at 15:48, Bullbasket said:

Hi Stix. I saw that you were you were maybe wanting some assistance with regards to the fuel lines. Is this schematic any use?

7043a3fb-0670-4dcc-bb6a-17bc5d11cb15.jpg

You could also look at my build from two and a half years ago to see how I did them.

HTH's.

John.

Hi John. Thank you for the diagram and the link to your incredibly impressive build - I remember it well! :worthy: :worthy:

Thanks to your input I have enough for me to try and make the fuel lines. :thumbsup:

As I mentioned to Craig above - I didn't get as much time to do modelling as I thought I might over the weekend - so I decided not to risk trying to get more work done on the painting. Instead I decided to clean up plus assemble, where necessary, any of the remaining parts for this project. Because I don't use an airbrush - I don't tend to fix everything in place before painting. Instead, where I can, I only attach parts to the bigger sections that I think will not interfere with brush painting or my basic weathering processes. So I end up with a lot of bits and pieces that I paint and basically weather before gluing together. In the photos below you can see how much of the turret I assembled plus all the other bits which have had seam lines and ejector pin holes removed. In some case I have assembled some of the sub-assemblies. You will also be able to see that, where I can, I leave some sprue runners attached so I have something to hold while I am painting:

48929403313_7f3db04c6c_b.jpg

In these photos of the turret - the main gun is not glued in place yet:

48929403143_fc41a8f85d_b.jpg

48929944021_a23632898e_b.jpg

I think that most of the parts are now ready for painting. Maybe next week.

Over a couple of evenings last week I also cleaned up another 20 links for the tracks......only anther 70 to go......bored, bored, bored...........

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

On 21/10/2019 at 11:13, Silenoz said:

very fine painting then, no stripes, no color differences... impressed

Thank you Silenoz - it takes a bit of practice and a bit of patience - especially when the paint doesn’t give the best coverage. I think the Revell paint I'm using may be quite old because it tends to go on quite streaky compared to some of the more recent stuff of theirs I've used. Luckily it still works okay with my 'over-brushing' style.

On 21/10/2019 at 17:46, Hewy said:

You'll be catching me up at this rate,awsome painting and assembly, which is par for the course stix,

Hi Glynn and no I don't think so - your beautiful model is far more advanced - and I know I'm going to faff around for quite a while yet with mine.

On 21/10/2019 at 19:06, modelling minion said:

Good progress Stix, the turret is looking very good.

It may not seem like much progress but cleaning up parts ready for fitting them is time consuming and important work that needs to be done.

Could be worse you could be applying stencils to a Starfighter!

Hi Craig and thank you for your comments. I agree - there's one thing you can say about tanks is that they usually have a minimum of decals/stencils compared with aircraft kits. :thumbsup:

This weekend I decided to work on getting everything painted with it's base layer of paint. For the most part I was applying thinned (with water) Revell Aqua number 86 Matt Olive Brown - applied with a large, flat Humbrol brush. I also got some parts painted with Revell Aqua Anthracite - applied in the same way. You'll perhaps also be able to see, in the photo below, that I got a very thinned wash of Gunship Grey applied on the lower hull and running gear. These are all the parts for the kit except the tracks:

48967894413_3a6c80e2ae_b.jpg

Closer view of the upper hull:

48968437211_4ac6ca5e82_b.jpg

The turret:

48967899228_4a4f82afc8_b.jpg

Test fit of the turret on the upper hull - the barrel is still not glued on and nor is the commander's hatch:

48967901293_5e2a6f1c97_b.jpg

Next week I hope to get the lower hull basically weathered before getting the running gear assembled.

.........and I still have 50 more track links to clean up..........

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 19:54, modelling minion said:

Looks excellent Stix!

A great base coat for your future weathering and nice and smooth too.

I know the Tamya kits are far from their best efforts but it certainly looks like a member of the T-55 family to me.

Hi Craig and thank you. Yeah I know what you mean about Tamiya kits. The odd thing with this Tamiya kit is that I'm still finding it a bit hit and miss in places with regards fit, moulding lines/ejection pin marks/etc. might just be me though..........

On 28/10/2019 at 07:37, Bullbasket said:

It's looking really good Stix. It'll be interesting to see all of the parts come together.

John.

Hi John. Thank you very much. As usual, I'm hoping my paint and then assemble technique works in this case! 

Apologies for the lateness of my update post. I did do some work on this over last weekend but it's been a busy time for me and I've struggled to find the time to post the pictures.

Anyway - enough of the excuses - Over last weekend I concentrated on the base weathering for some of the lower hull parts. Following the main coats of paint I always give everything an overall wash of very, very thinned Revell's Gunship Grey. Once this has dried I do a targeted wash of very thinned Revell's Anthracite - in and around the detail - applying it with a fine pointed brush. Once this has fully dried I start to build up some dry-brushing. For this one I mixed some of the base coat - Revell's Aqua Matt Olive Brown (86) with some Revell Matt White. To this I also added some Humbrol Acrylic Matt Army Green (102) - as I felt the lightened version of the base coat had lost some of the greener aspect of the base colour.

The lower hull looks like this currently - still a bit of a way to go:

49006716703_d6f37eaaab_b.jpg

49007465797_afd40999fb_b.jpg

49007465702_c7b15e1068_b.jpg

49007249691_eb2b3e1ac1_b.jpg

The wheels and running gear were given the same treatment but they are just about as I want them to be at this stage:

49007466137_929174205c_b.jpg

The tires in the photo above were all painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite - applied with a fine pointed brush.

I then decided it was time to go back to stage 1 to assemble the wheels, idlers and drive sprockets:

49007250191_6a73e8f6f5_b.jpg

The tires have now also been given a very, very thinned wash of Gunship Grey.

I have also been continuing to clean up the track links and I think I have about another 30 or so to go.

More next weekend I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

On 07/11/2019 at 16:58, modelling minion said:

Coming along very nicely Stix.

The washes and highlighting are working their usual magic and really bringing the details to life, the wheels looks great and the tyres on them look good in the Anthracite and the lighter gunship grey wash works well on them.

On 08/11/2019 at 15:58, Hewy said:

Nice pal ,Looks like you've  got nearly all of the monotony out of the way, it'll  be all down hill from here on in, 

Thank you very much Craig and Glynn. It is always nice to get the wheels sorted!.........and I'm almost there with them!

So over the past weekend I decided to carry on working on getting the lower hull sorted. First job was to get some more weatheing on the sides of the hull - especially in areas where it was going to be more difficult to get at once the wheels and tracks are in place. First job was to use a fine pointed brush to add some thinned Humbrol Gunmetal chipping. Over the chipping areas I applied a very, very thinned wash of Anthracite - to tone down the shine. Then I added some Railmatch Light Rust in some areas - it gives a nice dirty/dusty effect rather than a rusty look when applied very thinned. Next I added some streaks down the sides using various colours - Light Grey, Gunship Grey, Anthracite, Desert Yellow, etc. using a fine pointed brush and the paint very, very thinned. Then I stippled on some very, very thinned Desert Yellow and then a lightened version of the same. With this dry I added the axles:

49043229728_2b6b8b5a32_b.jpg

49043229698_d5aa7256a9_b.jpg

49043944257_ebe88a56e5_b.jpg

49043944202_96d4f40d9f_b.jpg

When the axles had set I started adding more weathering to the sides - more stippling of Desert Yellow, lightened Desert Yellow, etc. - both on the axles and upper sides. The wheels, drive sprocket and idler also had the same weathering applied as described above for the hull sides. I then couldn't resist a test fit:

49043731351_2909cdf124_b.jpg

49043229453_3eb8903d7c_b.jpg

49043943977_51939c9e93_b.jpg

49043943942_7ab6c28310_b.jpg

I still need to add some dust effects and streaking to the wheels, drive sprockets and idlers. I'll probably do some more weathering on the lower hull sides before finally attaching the wheels and tracks.

I also did a test fit with the upper hull:

49043229248_d4fc716fab_b.jpg

49043943792_b266286ee1_b.jpg

With the idlers and drive sprockets completed I could put the track links, one-by-one, around them and I added a bit of glue to the links - but not any between the links and the idlers/sprockets. Once set and removed - this was the result:

49043229083_134d63b1d7_b.jpg

My intention is to build up the track links in a similar manner to Link & Length tracks - which I will paint and weather before final assembly.

So....still a fair way to go!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

That is looking awesome mate, the weathered effects on the lower hull are superb already and really make it look like she has been trundling across the desert or dusty roads.

I like your idea with the tracks and think that it should work very well.

I see the makings of another Stix masterpiece already!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your weathering with the hairy stick is better than a lot of efforts with an airbrush. I prefer Tamiya's road wheels to the likes of Takom's and Miniart's. Tamiya has moulded the tread of the tyres flat, whereas the other two have moulded them with all of the tread work showing, something that would have worn flat very quickly.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 17:00, modelling minion said:

That is looking awesome mate, the weathered effects on the lower hull are superb already and really make it look like she has been trundling across the desert or dusty roads.

I like your idea with the tracks and think that it should work very well.

I see the makings of another Stix masterpiece already!

Hi Craig and thank you very much. You are too kind as always but you can see how the tracks are coming along below.

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

The mini art tracks are crazy detailed aren't  they, and you've picked it out  superbly stix,really well done

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yep me too, us mere mortals can merely look on in admiration 

Hi Glynn and thank you too for your very kind comments. You are right - the MiniArt tracks are very nicely detailed. I’ve just found them a bit boring to cut off and clean up - the four attachment points are on convex curved surfaces. I have, however, finished the cleaning up of the recommended amount of links for my Tiran. :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I've been lost for words ever since I first read through your Tiger hull painting guide. This is yet another piece of work by mr. magicbrush.

Hi V-P. Thank you very much - you are most kind.

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Your weathering with the hairy stick is better than a lot of efforts with an airbrush. I prefer Tamiya's road wheels to the likes of Takom's and Miniart's. Tamiya has moulded the tread of the tyres flat, whereas the other two have moulded them with all of the tread work showing, something that would have worn flat very quickly.

John.

Hi John - you are too kind. And I agree - the wheels are well done on this kit.

Not much of an update but - as I mentioned above - I have finished cleaning up the recommended number of track links and begun assembling some lengths:

49061162157_1671e413ec_b.jpg

The top run in the photo above is not yet glued onto the 6 around the sprocket.

I decided to try some Tamiya Green Cap - Extra Thin - to glue together the links. It's the first time I've used it and I was quite impressed.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

On 13/11/2019 at 21:49, modelling minion said:

I think that your homemade link and length tracks look very good indeed.

No doubt they will look great  when painted up.

Thanks Craig. I have been doing more on the tracks over the weekend.

On 15/11/2019 at 07:07, Silenoz said:

enjoy the puzzle 😉

Thank you Silenoz.

So....over the weekend I found some more time to do a bit of work on this project. Tracks first - I built up the remaining sections - starboard side - glue applied and setting:

49068645226_2eba72fa91_b.jpg

Port side in progress:

49068645196_4501330cf2_b.jpg

Port side now set - still in four sections:

49068851057_2ef29ec603_b.jpg

Starboard side set - also in four sections:

49068645111_1a76a6e86e_b.jpg

From above:

49068645081_e35805a1c8_b.jpg

Front:

49068137588_5d21752647_b.jpg

Rear:

49068137573_f2b6c617ea_b.jpg

The four separate sections for each side:

49072390048_77777f0915_b.jpg

Now with a couple of thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite applied with a flat brush:

49078065152_0638f2dc21_b.jpg

....and once dry - some dry-brushing with Humbrol's Gunmetal:

49078064757_cbf2d0502e_b.jpg

The hull and turret have had a very, very thin wash of Revell's Gunship Grey applied all over and a targeted very thin wash of Revell's Anthracite applied in and around the detail with a fine poined brush:

49077330868_5d443e975f_b.jpg

Then some dry-brushing of a lightened version of the base coat with some Humbrol Army Green added:

49077862491_b4b6f10f68_b.jpg

49077330778_8dff5ee83a_b.jpg

49077330723_7e5f504b77_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3