Tiran 5 - IDF, The Negev Desert, Mid-1980s - 1/35 Tamiya - FINISHED and in the Gallery 02/01/20

PlaStix

On 18/11/2019 at 17:39, Silenoz said:

Nice work.... Looking good

Thank you.

On 18/11/2019 at 19:00, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed, the tracks have worked a treat Stix and are already looking good with the first paint on.

The hull and turret are really looking good now with the washes and dry-brushing, very effective.

Thank you very much Craig. There's been more progress on the tracks - as you'll be able to see below.

Well the weekend just flew by as usual. I got a bit more done on this but it doesn't look like much...........which it wasn't really.

I wanted to get the tracks assembled - so first job was to get the weathering on the sides of the lower hull done as much as I thought was acceptable - not much will be seen - these photos are with the wheels back on:

49118069606_42a329e262_b.jpg

49118069526_7201cfddbb_b.jpg

The tracks themselves had to be given their basic weathering too - this consisted of a couple of applications of very, very thinned washes of Humbrol's Desert Yellow. Once dry I added a wash of very, very thinned Railmatch Light Rust - only apllied here and there. Finally I stippled on a very thinned, lightened version of Desert Yellow - but only here and there again:

49117562328_54f875d598_b.jpg

On the insides  - once I'd got the basic washes on all over, I taped off the areas the wheels would run over with masking tape and then added the lighter wash and stippling on the outer edges only - to make it look like the wheels were vaguely polishing up the areas they run over:

49118264942_56ceac1b9c_b.jpg

Then I got the tracks glued in place:

49118264862_7d343a3a1c_b.jpg

49118264832_990bd25176_b.jpg

49118264797_bdd5282000_b.jpg

49118264757_13691f3bdf_b.jpg

49118069101_48e20af970_b.jpg

49117561898_f40418e8b2_b.jpg

49117561853_a317598f93_b.jpg

49118264517_befe4a336e_b.jpg

I was quite pleased when I finally got them together. They should be okay once I get some more sand applied in places.

I also started some weathering on all the other parts I painted a while back - but nothing worth any photos.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

On 25/11/2019 at 19:43, modelling minion said:

It gets better and better!

The tracks look very good indeed, the light rust and sand washes and dry-brushing have really brought out the detail on them.

The lower hull is also looking great with the dry-brushing again bringing out the details.

Awesome work mate, keep it up!

Hi Craig. Hope you are well and thank you very much for your comments. I must admit I was quite pleased with the finish on the tracks....so far. I was trying to get them to a dried out, dusty state which I think they are just about there. I now need to work out how I'm going to add more actual sand effects. I have some 'model' sand but I'm wondering about the best way to get it to work. I may mix it with some of the Mig stuff I've got..........so some playing may be involved.

On 25/11/2019 at 21:34, Silenoz said:

Splendid work, lovely weathering...

Thank you very much.

On 26/11/2019 at 06:18, Hewy said:

"splendid indeed" coming alive stix

Cheers Glynn, thank you.

On 27/11/2019 at 19:45, Jabba said:

Those tracks are special, especially the weathering.

Thank you very much Jabba.

As usual I was planning on posting updates over the weekend but stuff keeps getting in the way.

In this first photo you can see all the painting and weathering I have been doing on a lot of the parts that still need to be attached:

49152598357_8274184602_b.jpg

All the painting and weathering is exactly the same as I have done on the hull and turret as detailed above. There are other parts which are having different treatments.

A couple of photos to show the parts a bit closer:

49152392196_61baca366e_b.jpg

49151899523_04effd4048_b.jpg

I then decided it was time to get the decals on. Luckily all the decals could easily have all the clear carrier film cut away - so these decals are all applied straight onto the painted surface and sealed on with thinned Humbrol Acrylic Matt Varnish - applied mostly with a medium flat brush. I did use some Humbrol Decalfix on the turret "V" as I wanted it to conform to the nice cast texture Tamiya has included. I did stipple the matt varnish onto the V and then used a dry flat brush to get the same effect as the rest of the turret surface.

49152598227_ef8ecf368a_b.jpg

Following @Bullbasket's advice I decided to paint the white stripes on the gun barrel. I used masking tape to mask off and then stippled on very thinned Humbrol Acrylic Matt White paint. I did the ring first followed by the top areas:

49152598082_b1d45c45e8_b.jpg

Next up I got the first coat of paint on the rubber fenders - front and back - I used thinned Revell's Anthracite applied with a small flat brush:

49151899208_b4d3851b6a_b.jpg

49152597987_91be55d0bf_b.jpg

I have also now attached the PE grills into the frames - everything was painted and basically weathered before assembly. I used CA glue to attach them:

49152391621_9d9065a5ab_b.jpg

Another job I did over the weekend was to start adding the fuel lines for the side fuel tanks - following some other kit's instructions as suggested by @Bullbasket. Thank you John. I used lead wire to make them. They're are not perfect but better than nothing - as provided in the kit! Please ignore the single tank's fuel lines - I managed to knock them out of place when test fitting them for the photo but didn't notice. They are now actually more in the correct position.

49152391546_47738c9194_b.jpg

Over the past couple of evenings I have been working on painting and basically weathering the water cans but no photos yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

More very nice progress from the master!

The weathering of all the extras is just as good as the weathering of the tank itself, superb.

Great job with the decals, they look painted on.

And the rubber fenders look very realistic too, and the white stripe is good, neat but not too neat to be realistic.

Awesome work all round mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 16:57, modelling minion said:

More very nice progress from the master!

The weathering of all the extras is just as good as the weathering of the tank itself, superb.

Great job with the decals, they look painted on.

And the rubber fenders look very realistic too, and the white stripe is good, neat but not too neat to be realistic.

Awesome work all round mate.

Hi Craig. Thank you very much for your too kind comments. I have to admit I am enjoying making this kit.

On 04/12/2019 at 18:38, Hewy said:

I agree with craig all round top work, the fuel lines are great , just those bring the kit into line with more modern offerings.👍

Thank you very much Glynn. Yes it didn't take too much to add the fuel lines but it does add to the overall appearance.

On 05/12/2019 at 08:02, Bullbasket said:

Hi Stix. Glad to have been of help. The stripe looks good as does the whole paint job. Nice one.

John.

Thank you very much John.

On 07/12/2019 at 18:34, Jabba said:

A very good job of weathering this, and that stripe along the gun barrel is superb.

On 09/12/2019 at 15:30, Silenoz said:

beautiful work so far, love what you did with the stripes... decals and nets are nicely applied

Hi Silenoz and thank you very much for your comments.

Well I have been struggling to find time to get on here - both to follow other people's threads and to update mine! So I do apologise.

I have been working away on mine and I have made some progress. The kit is still mostly in bits - as in the photos above - and most of the things I have been doing are not really worth a photo - lots of minor weathering - the sort of stuff that will be difficult to do once all the parts are assembled.

There are three photos though - but nothing exciting - machine guns, jerry cans and some spare track links with weathering started:

49188095082_3b95a541ce_b.jpg

I have now glued the hatches - with the PE grills in - to the rear deck of the top of the hull:

49187401378_3acb4275f9_b.jpg

....and finally fire extinguishers and lights:

49187401283_a1a8cc13e3_b.jpg

I hope to be able to get to a point this weekend where I can start assembling stuff!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

On 17/12/2019 at 15:43, modelling minion said:

Its those little bits that can take a lot of time, and make a huge difference to the finished model.

Totally agree Craig - sometimes those little bits seem to take for ever! I was beginning to get to the point where I thought I'd never gett onto assembling all the bits and pieces I have been painting and doing the base weathering on. I know most AFV modellers seem to assemble everything and then do the painting and weathering.....and they make a fantastic job of it!! I, on the otherhand, would find it difficult to do all the painting/weathering avoiding getting paint and weathering on all the other bits around them - let alone constantly handling a built model with all the little bits and bobs on! I spend a lot of time working out how many sub-structures I can build and comfortably hold and work on. In some case I have very tiny parts that I won't add right until everything else is done.

As an example - this is all the parts for this Tiran 5 as of Saturday morning just gone:

49257942297_bceacd479a_b.jpg

49257942227_fa03876b96_b.jpg

You may be able to see that I have added some of the streaks/stains as well as some chipping, etc. in a variety of places. A lot I have done this way because I felt it was easier to hold individual parts to do them, rather than handling the whole model.

The chipping is mostly done by using a very small pointed brush to add tiny amounts of very thinned Humbrol Acrylic Gunmetal to edges, corners or anywhere I reckon could have had some wear. I looked at some photos to get some ideas. Over these areas I added some very, very thinned Revell's Acrylic Anthracite - to tone down the shine on the metalic Gunmetal paint and I also added some small patches in the same areas to look like other worn areas. Finally I added some touches of Railmatch Light Rust acrylic paint - also very thinned - to similar areas and into corners, etc. This isn't necessarily to represent rust but it also gives quite a nice dirty effect.

The dirt/other streaks are applied using a variety of paints including, Anthracite, Light Rust, Light Grey, etc.

I then decided I wanted to do some gluing together!! I decided to start with the turret:

49257747016_11d660bd80_b.jpg

Closer views:

49257942102_36ebf5e48b_b.jpg

49257746936_9935cb9593_b.jpg

49257942012_fb415ac3de_b.jpg

49257262418_c57feb33b0_b.jpg

49257262373_0c44561bcd_b.jpg

I do like the way the Tiran 5 turret looks.

Next up, on Saturday, I decided to glue the top and bottom of the hull together:

49257746726_3b6f54bfd5_b.jpg

49257941837_cb5a5362a0_b.jpg

49257262208_699e797456_b.jpg

49257941732_e95bb0539f_b.jpg

On Sunday morning I did a test fit of all the parts on the side fenders and decided I needed to add some weathering to the tops of the fenders before gluing the stuff in place. Most of the weathering was added with stippling brushes using very, very thinned Anthracite, Desert Yellow and a lightened version of the Desert Yellow. Once dry I glued all the parts in place:

49258336508_ed8342b74b_b.jpg

49259031522_f5d84579f2_b.jpg

49259031487_56c01c37a0_b.jpg

I still have some parts to fit on the glasis but I need to add some more weathering effects on there first. I also have to fit the rear hull stowage bin and some other bits and pieces like the tow cables and aerials, I am going to also try and get some stowage items made up and painted plus I still need to paint the two crew figures. So a bit to do but I'm hoping to get finished before the end of the GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

It really does look fantastic, as Werner says.

The weathering looks superb and I really like the last pics as they show the original colour of the plastic on the interior in the same shot as the expertly painted and weathered hull. The turret looks brilliant with the extra machine guns and added stowage.

Superb work all round!

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2019 at 12:27, exdraken said:

Looks fantastic!!

Thank you exdraken.

On 23/12/2019 at 15:26, modelling minion said:

It really does look fantastic, as Werner says.

The weathering looks superb and I really like the last pics as they show the original colour of the plastic on the interior in the same shot as the expertly painted and weathered hull. The turret looks brilliant with the extra machine guns and added stowage.

Superb work all round!

Thank you Craig, most kind! :thumbsup:

On 23/12/2019 at 17:24, Bullbasket said:

I looks superb Stix. I hope that you got as much enjoyment out of building it as I did when I built mine.

John.

Thank you John. Yes I have thoroughly enjoyed making this kit - it's been a fun kit to make. Apart from a couple of fit issues early on it's been a typical Tamiya kit. The fit issues may have been down to me though! :banghead:

On 23/12/2019 at 19:33, Jabba said:

As others have already said, this is superb especially the weathering that you have done and the chipping looks good too.

On 23/12/2019 at 20:03, DaveJL said:

Lovely build mate.

Thank you Dave.

On 24/12/2019 at 08:51, Hewy said:

Smashing job stix, really well done👍

Cheers Glynn - most kind.

Over the past few days I have managed to find some bits of time to make, paint and add some stowage and tools (found from old kits and stowage sets) plus do some more weathering. I have now also added all the kit parts to the model.

Just one photo to show some of what I have done. I was going to take more but it’s been mostly dark out today:

49277608768_b57b4c1946_b.jpg

So - figures next and then I'll think what I'm doing for the base.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hi Stix,

I have to confess I've barely visited this GB due to me being busy working on my dio, but I've found myself with a little bit of spare time. I thought I'd have a gander at your work first, just to see if you'd made a rare pigs ear.

But you haven't.

Once again you're producing a real piece of art.

NOW FOR AN APPARENTLY STUPID QUESTION.

Way back in my teens I too used to paint most of the parts before assembly, or sometimes I'd build an assembly and paint that before adding it to the model, and then I'd end up having to clean up excess glue, and repaint the damaged paint finish, but you seem never to suffer with such issues. So, what glue do you use and how do you apply it? And do you EVER have accidents and have to tidy them up?

Reargaurds and Happy New Year,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Glynn and Badder and thank you for taking the time to comment.

On 29/12/2019 at 23:32, Badder said:

NOW FOR AN APPARENTLY STUPID QUESTION.

Way back in my teens I too used to paint most of the parts before assembly, or sometimes I'd build an assembly and paint that before adding it to the model, and then I'd end up having to clean up excess glue, and repaint the damaged paint finish, but you seem never to suffer with such issues. So, what glue do you use and how do you apply it? And do you EVER have accidents and have to tidy them up?

Hi Badder. Not stupid at all - the majority of AFV builders always seem to assemble everything first and then manage to paint their models beautifully........and I struggle to know how they do this when there are bits of the model in the way of everything else!!

I tend to prefer to put everything together in sub-sections - which I like to paint and basically weather first. It does mean I have to do some thinking as to what I can afford to glue together first and then what can be added later on. A lot can depend on attachement points and how well they are hidden later on. Where there are holes to attach parts into I use the end of a cocktail stick to apply tiny amounts of Revell Contacta glue - it's the glue I have always used - into the holes. I apply it into the holes as I reckon the part being pushed in will keep the glue inside - if the glue was to be added to the pin rather than the hole - the glue would be scraped off by the edge of the hole as the part was put into place and end up on the outside of the joint. I try to only add glue to inside edges of pieces to be joined if there's no pins and holes and, if possible, I only apply glue to the rear-most inside edges - like on the external fuel tanks on the Tiran - then, if any glue does ooze out, it's not on the front edge and visible. In some cases a tiny amount of glue will come out onto visible surfaces but I usually try to remove it with the edge of a piece of kitchen roll as quickly as possible. Revell Contacta does lift acrylic paints a little but I have often found that, as long as I get it off as quickly as possible, it settles back down relatively well. In some cases - as long as the paint hasn't been so badly removed so that the plastic is visible below - it settles back down with a slight shine which I only have to use some very thinned Humbrol acrylic Matt varnish on. The trick I have found is that I need to brush the Matt varnish out in the same way I do my painting and it matches in quite well. If the paint lifts and plastic is visible then I apply some very, very thinned coats of the original paint in small amounts just in the damaged area and carefully build up the weathering again round that bit. Usually the weathering will hide some of these issues if they do arise.

Hope that makes some sense!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

28 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hope that makes some sense!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Yes that all makes perfect sense. I am surprised you only put glue on the inward sides of some parts though. I always worry that things will lift over long periods of time if they aren't glued down all the way around. Still, I've never actually tried the 'limited' gluing, so I haven't proven to myself that it's not a viable option. I will take your word for it, what with all of your experience!

I reckon you do go  about the painting the right way though, because as you say, it is impossible to get to some parts if other parts are in the way. I suppose slapping washes over everything is okay for some, but then they can't get in there for dry-brushing.

I sit in the half-way house, not going quite to your extreme, but preferring to paint and weather some parts prior to attachment, nevertheless.  And I will NEVER construct a model in its entirety and then paint it. To  me that seems stupid, lazy, and in the end it doesn't give the most realistic results.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1