Tiran 5 - IDF, The Negev Desert, Mid-1980s - 1/35 Tamiya - FINISHED and in the Gallery 02/01/20

PlaStix

Well I have managed to get it finished yesterday and in the Gallery and RFI sections today. It was a really fun project and, although the base is a lot less than I had originally planned, I think it works okay.

This is how the base started:

49310594638_b856707e07_b.jpg

As you can see I actually decided to use the bottom of the display case for the actual base of the base. Onto the base I first added the back card from a drawing paper pad. Over this I applied the filler. Once dry I added some broken up sections of flat filler which I had pressed out between some kitchen foil and cling film which I had allowed to set for a couple of days. This was to try and give the impression of walling.

This was all then painted with several thinned coats of Humbrol's Desert Yellow which, once dried, was dry-brushed with increasingly lightened versions of the base coat. In the photo below I am about halfway through the dry-brushing process:

49310594583_c87091a16a_b.jpg

The walls were then given a very thinned wash of Revell's Light Grey before being dry-brushed with matt white paint from Humbrol.

And with the Tiran 5 in place it looks like this:

49310604763_9d289e203f_b.jpg

49311305982_311fa0c8ed_b.jpg

49311305717_265ddf8e68_b.jpg

The Gallery photos can be found: Here

The Tiran 5 RFI photos can be found: Here

The vignette style RFI photos can be found: Here

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment and make suggestions in this build thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

That my friend is quite simply stunning.

The base has worked out really well and the thin sections of filler you used to make the wall sections have worked extremely well and are very effective thanks to your expert painting. It is just as good a result as I thought it would be.

Very well done mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stix,

I have popped in now and then to see people's progress and yours has been unsurprisingly unsurprising. It was always going to be another stunner!

Rearguards,

Badder