ANOTHER PHANTOM!!! FG.1, 43 Sqn, 1970

7 hours ago, Andy350 said:

It does looks superb, would you only recommend sticking to the standard kits before looking to use Eduard?

Definitely yes Andy,  since I've gotten back into the hobby a few years ago I've not used much in the way of resin/photo-etch extra's. They can amount to a lot more than the price of the kit. In 1/72nd I would say it isn't really necessary, for instance when I did Airfix's new Defiant, all the detail is perfectly adequate including the cockpit, but the wheels do look slightly too small in diameter. I considered buying replacement wheels at the time but they cost over half the price of the kit so didn't bother. It all depends how far you want to go. I usually end up chucking away half of any photo-etch set's as I'm just too cack-handed to deal with the really tiny parts!  but they can enhance a kit, especially cockpits.

Get a few modern tooled  kits under your belt before deciding on any major expenditure on extra detail sets, and look up reviews of any resin/etch sets just to check they do actually replace inaccurate parts.

Try some Eduard 'ProfiPack' kits as they include Photo-etch, masks and sometimes resin. Remember these parts require different adhesives to attach to the plastic parts supplied in the kits, resin parts usually have casting plugs that need removed, and some resin parts I've experienced needed lots of removal of said resin to actually fit! 

Hope all this waffle helped a bit.

Davey.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Definitely yes Andy,  since I've gotten back into the hobby a few years ago I've not used much in the way of resin/photo-etch extra's. They can amount to a lot more than the price of the kit. In 1/72nd I would say it isn't really necessary, for instance when I did Airfix's new Defiant, all the detail is perfectly adequate including the cockpit, but the wheels do look slightly too small in diameter. I considered buying replacement wheels at the time but they cost over half the price of the kit so didn't bother. It all depends how far you want to go. I usually end up chucking away half of any photo-etch set's as I'm just too cack-handed to deal with the really tiny parts!  but they can enhance a kit, especially cockpits.

Get a few modern tooled  kits under your belt before deciding on any major expenditure on extra detail sets, and look up reviews of any resin/etch sets just to check they do actually replace inaccurate parts.

Try some Eduard 'ProfiPack' kits as they include Photo-etch, masks and sometimes resin. Remember these parts require different adhesives to attach to the plastic parts supplied in the kits, resin parts usually have casting plugs that need removed, and some resin parts I've experienced needed lots of removal of said resin to actually fit! 

Hope all this waffle helped a bit.

Davey.

Hi Davery, really useful thanks. I will stay away for now.  Can barely manage out of the box at the moment!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, agentbalzac said:

Great work - love the in-flight pose and early 70s scheme.

One nitpick - is the starboard fin-flash inverted? 🤔  But in all other respects - deserves a Phabulous! 

Oops! you're right, it is inverted, should be Red at the leading edge.  Probably not the first time I've ever done that on an RAF aircraft :facepalm:

Davey.