ANOTHER PHANTOM!!! FG.1, 43 Sqn, 1970

Another F-4 crops up,  this is a 43 Sqn FG.1 from circa 1970, the well documented XV574. Remember the photo being on the cover of an issue of Airfix Magazine back in the day, stalking a Soviet 'Bear'.

From the currently still running STGB .

Fujimi 'Silver Jubilee' boxing.

OOB, I had to carve away the electronics fairing off the Tail-fin.

Xtradecal markings, Eduard 'Brassin' Sidewinders, PJ Products Pilots.

Xtracrylic's paints airbrushed over Ultimate Grey Primer.  By no means perfect, I still have trouble airbrushing these particular paints, but happy with the overall finish. I did weather the bottom a bit, but it doesn't really show in the photo's, was a bit scared to go over the top even though photo's show they get really dirty underneath!

Comments and queries welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0001

DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 51

57 minutes ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Really sleek Davey, when the finish is this good it’s easy to see why modellers prefer the Fujimi model to the newer Airfix one. 

That’s a beauty! 😎

Ben

Cheers Ben. I haven't done a Phantom since a Matchbox one back in the 70's/early 80's I think.  Never built a Fujimi one till now. I haven't obtained an Airfix one yet but might get one to compare, in RN colours this time though.

Davey.

• Like 2

Gloria Finis!  Cracking 43 Squadron Phantom, displayed superbly in flight.

(One nit-pick, the Base has a typo, it's Leuchars, not Leuchers, but I used to get mail addressed to RAF LUCAS so you aren't that far off!)

2 hours ago, Troffa said:

(One nit-pick, the Base has a typo, it's Leuchars, not Leuchers, but I used to get mail addressed to RAF LUCAS so you aren't that far off!)

Oops! You're right, cheers. I used that spelling in the GB as well! :banghead: 

My Apologies.  I should also change the order of the caption as well, swapping the '43 Sqn' and the 'B' around.  My wife said I should have corrected it before the taking the photo's, so I'll get on with that sometime soon 🙄

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

It would be nice to know the scale

1/72nd, Ratch.

Thanks for all the positive comments people, really enjoyed the build, just the finishing which always gets me.

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sweaty1 said:

Very good. Like the flying fit.

Cheers.  The gear doors fit VERY well, no filler/rescribing required. 

It's the first time since I was a kid I've modelled an aircraft in flight. I always think jet's more than the prop driven birds look awkward on the ground so thought I'd give it a go. Definitely going to do more 'in-flight' stuff, including WW2 prop driven aircraft.

Davey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cybershed said:

Very nice!!

Pity that you got the spelling of RAF Leuchars wrong.

Already been pointed out, I shall post a picture of the corrected spelling, when I get round to correcting it :facepalm:

Davey.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:20 PM, Troffa said:

29 minutes ago, cybershed said:

Very nice!!

Pity that you got the spelling of RAF Leuchars wrong.

Corrected my spelling mistake, everybody happy now?! 😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Really nice, is common practice to "Xtradecal markings, Eduard 'Brassin' Sidewinders, PJ Products Pilots"? I've seen a lot of examples with these extras. 

If you want to do an 'in flight' aircraft you have to source pilots as Fujimi don't give you any, the kit I had was an old boxing and the roundels were out of register anyway (although some Xtradecal's I've had have been too) and this option wasn't in the box. The kit missiles aren't bad just the Eduard ones are just finer, and externally more like the type we used, fiddly though!🙄

29 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Very nice, you can't beat the Fujimi Phantom in my opinion.

Duncan B

Yeah, I've seen a couple being done on here and it's those panel lines that Airfix are doing that put me off a bit. Apart from a couple of sink marks I didn't use any filler.

16 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Arrrggghhh… I can't keep up. I have three Phantom's on the workbench in various states of undress and can't keep up with all these great builds!

Not in the Group Build?  My models wouldn't win any prizes, wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, but I'll take the compliment 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

If you want to do an 'in flight' aircraft you have to source pilots as Fujimi don't give you any, the kit I had was an old boxing and the roundels were out of register anyway (although some Xtradecal's I've had have been too) and this option wasn't in the box. The kit missiles aren't bad just the Eduard ones are just finer, and externally more like the type we used, fiddly though!🙄

Yeah, I've seen a couple being done on here and it's those panel lines that Airfix are doing that put me off a bit. Apart from a couple of sink marks I didn't use any filler.

Not in the Group Build?  My models wouldn't win any prizes, wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, but I'll take the compliment 🙂

It does looks superb, would you only recommend sticking to the standard kits before looking to use Eduard?