AA Stalwart Mk 2

ivan-o

Your Stolly looks brilliant good sir, I remember when they were still in use, the backfires were horrendous, saw one get flooded once, forgot to put splashboard out and drove into the Wasser, cab half filled lol and had to be towed out

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Lovely work. Resin must be a harder medium than injection I suppose.

Thanks Vaastav, resin is certainly a different stuff to work with. There is no room for error glueing parts in place once it’s on its on! Small parts are very brittle so careful cutting off the block is needed. Saying all that the problems I have had with this kit have been mostly of my own making! 😀 so we live and learn.

Ivan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

just a bit more done at last! Swim board on,the supports have yet to go on but they are a bit fragile so they will go on towards the end. The mud flap stays were replaced with wire as again first knock they would have been off! The exhaust is a bit fiddly,should have gone on before the wheels in hindsight.

49510386293_a56bea4109_k_d.jpg

49511123242_d56866d5ee_k_d.jpg

49510896746_69aa1dc129_k_d.jpg

thanks for now,

Ivan

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just another small update! This kit is now starting to fight me every step off the way😡for every bit that’s put on another breaks. At the risk of repeating myself this kit is VERY brittle.

49604750661_2cc34f8305_k_d.jpg

49604245063_bfff6a57fb_k_d.jpg

not particularly happy with this but this side headlight is on. That’s it for now I’m going to have a beer 🙂

Ivan

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work with the replacement parts Ivan. Some of those resin parts can be a real pain.

John.

Thanks John,

It just seems the resin is old and brittle and in some cases if you look at it wrong it breaks!

I have noticed that AA are now producing this kit on a order only basis perhaps that will help with the resin being new!

Ivan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivan-o said:

in some cases if you look at it wrong it breaks!

You will find all Accurate Armour kits like this, old and new......I have built about 20-30 of them.  When first produced all the small and delicate parts were cast in white metal...…...but Derek in his wisdom decided to go 100% resin and dispense with white metal, since then there has always been problems with the smaller, delicate parts...…..When I built the Centurion Bridgelayer with bridge there were so many broken parts that I ended up recasting a lot of the parts in White Metal.  The Antar Mk3 with Sankey semi-Trailer was no different......just about everything around the front axle was so delicate and unbuildable so most was scratch built.  Scammell Recovery was the same, warped chassis and lots of broken parts, Bedford RL Cargo, plus Bedford RL REME Recovery, Ferrets, Saladin, Champ, Humber 1 Ton......….all the same, ended up recasting a lot of parts in white metal.   The only thing is, who else builds the Antar, Scammell Explorer, Centurion Bridgelayer, etc, etc?  If you want these types of kits one has to persevere.  They turned out great in the end, but a lot of work to get the desired results.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayprit said:

You will find all Accurate Armour kits like this, old and new......I have built about 20-30 of them.  When first produced all the small and delicate parts were cast in white metal...…...but Derek in his wisdom decided to go 100% resin and dispense with white metal, since then there has always been problems with the smaller, delicate parts...…..When I built the Centurion Bridgelayer with bridge there were so many broken parts that I ended up recasting a lot of the parts in White Metal.  The Antar Mk3 with Sankey semi-Trailer was no different......just about everything around the front axle was so delicate and unbuildable so most was scratch built.  Scammell Recovery was the same, warped chassis and lots of broken parts, Bedford RL Cargo, plus Bedford RL REME Recovery, Ferrets, Saladin, Champ, Humber 1 Ton......….all the same, ended up recasting a lot of parts in white metal.   The only thing is, who else builds the Antar, Scammell Explorer, Centurion Bridgelayer, etc, etc?  If you want these types of kits one has to persevere.  They turned out great in the end, but a lot of work to get the desired results.

The AA CRARRV that I'm attempting is the same but as you say who else does these?

Roger

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rayprit said:

Bedford RL Cargo, plus Bedford RL REME Recovery

Damn! I was thinking about getting one of these and turning it into a signals body, the one with a coffin over the cab.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Damn! I was thinking about getting one of these and turning it into a signals body, the one with a coffin over the cab.

:offtopic:When I got around to building the RL Cargo, the chassis was really twisted - nothing that hot water didn't sort out, but the cab was completely buckled, impossible to straighten out window frames and door pillars from warpage...….possibly from storage at Accurate Armour...………….I contacted Derek at AA and he replaced it immediately...……….but, if you persist you will get there...…….after all, this is what we all call fun - isn't it?:wall:

Sorry Ivan for the thread hijack...…...:sorry:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rayprit said:

:offtopic:When I got around to building the RL Cargo, the chassis was really twisted - nothing that hot water didn't sort out, but the cab was completely buckled, impossible to straighten out window frames and door pillars from warpage...….possibly from storage at Accurate Armour...………….I contacted Derek at AA and he replaced it immediately...……….but, if you persist you will get there...…….after all, this is what we all call fun - isn't it?:wall:

Sorry Ivan for the thread hijack...…...:sorry:

Not to worry 😀 good to see I am not the only one having fun. 👍

• Like 1

It will be worth it in the end mate, the one thing with the AA kits is that they do take a lot more effort to get together over a normal IM kit. Scratching up bits are par for course which I think adds to their charm :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, hope everyone is feeling fine!
Bit of an update headlight guards on,the kit one is on the right and I wasn’t happy with the first effort to make the other one so had another go and I think that one has come out ok.😀

49708351476_449fcf941f_c_d.jpg

49708351621_bdaf109683_c_d.jpg

That’s it for now,keep your distance!

Ivan

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together slow but sure, Don't you just love AA's resin?

Roger

It’s coming along one step forward two back! Calmed down now but looking at the photo the AA guard was already broken!
What they are made off I don’t know but it’s like a crispy paper if that makes sense.

And my missus said modelling is supposed to be  relaxing  😂

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

What they are made off I don’t know but it’s like a crispy paper if that makes sense.

Know what you mean I have the same trouble with a lot of the parts on the CRARRV I'm doing at the moment.

Roger

• Like 1

A bit of paint on the beast,

49712304597_e30cccec4e_c_d.jpg

49712304747_89b91aa7ef_c_d.jpg

686C5F05-3714-4B71-B15E-5BB8A8A811B6

49712304887_4f0b3087bc_c_d.jpg

The front light guards are not quite the same but that will be sorted at a later date!
I just felt I had to move on a bit, the black will go on in an hour or so when the green is dry.

Ivan

• Like 3