AA Stalwart Mk 2

ivan-o

9 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

Looking good, Ivan. Getting all those wheels to touch the ground is a challenge on this one!

Stalwart_1_76_scale.JPG

I already like yours a lot better than my own Stalwart built from the AB kit in 1/76th...  😄

Hi Tim,yep the wheels are a bit of a problem but as you can see the file has been out 😀still not quite right but I am going to heat the bottom of the wheels and give that a try.

Ivan

• Like 1

Hi,another update or rather correcting a mistake! In my haste to get the wheels etc on I forgot to add the water jet intake grills.

I got the grills into position and they are an exact fit for the recess in the hull so a bit of packing was required to get them to sit flush.

48966207868_2ce8bc494e_c_d.jpg

48960801258_3f18a3eb10_c_d.jpg

48966934117_8714ae9f1d_c_d.jpg

Cheers mote later 😀

Ivan

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 5

Just started on the upper body,fairly straightforward but the rear bulkheads needed the heat treatment to straighten them.

And the inner bulkhead was to wide so the knife was out no idea why it should have been cast that way, so a bit of detail lost there!

48903829036_f476d38698_c_d.jpg

48958485683_a841cef6b6_c_d.jpg

48967232646_e647e21a90_c_d.jpg

Thanks for for all the likes and comments,hope you are all still interested!

Ivan

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 10

Hi guys, more done today,dropsides on,again not many issues ,a bit of filing and some filler in the corners but otherwise straightforward.

48959035481_37f735d803_c_d.jpg

48958485288_17a0a8459e_c_d.jpg

Thats is it for now,cheers

Ivan

(anybody see the obvious mistake 😉)

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 8

A bit of an update, the rear end done. What a nightmare the airlines were the parts are minuscule! I ended up having to scratch my own. I hope they look ok.

48961346971_fe37819a14_c_d.jpg

One for you Dan recognise this chap? 😀

48961427752_6b445f777f_c_d.jpg

Cheers,

Ivan

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 3

I do indeed Ivan, M113’s and their ancillaries seem to be in fashion these days ;)

once you clean up the seems and sharpen up the details a little they scrub up really well. Going for a nice Hornet head? 

Coming together really well and fast for an AA kit mate, keep it up :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I do indeed Ivan, M113’s and their ancillaries seem to be in fashion these days ;)

once you clean up the seems and sharpen up the details a little they scrub up really well. Going for a nice Hornet head? 

Coming together really well and fast for an AA kit mate, keep it up :goodjob:

Thanks, I can’t say it’s going fast but I’m getting there! If the cab parts are as small as those pesky airlines then are we going to have fun !!😀 I have a couple of heads with berets on and the Tamiya stretcher party to play with, see if they can carry Jerry cans instead of a stretcher.

Ivan

Edited by ivan-o
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

A bit of a summary of the build so far,sorry about the slow progress but I will get there eventually 😀

The kit itself is in the main very good and the only issues I have had are mainly of my own making,however there a parts that are so small ie:the airline taps,that once off the block it is virtually impossible to make out which way they go on.The carpet monster got mine so I had to make my own! The resin is very brittle on some of the parts and need careful cutting and handling,very sharp knife required!The inner rear bulkhead was to wide and the tailboard is also to wide although of course you can’t cut that.

To get the wheels to sit properly was fairly easy just heat the suspension with warm water and move the wheels about.

To see me through this build I have got the Tankograd Stalwart book and a gem it is for seeing where parts fit as AAs instructions are not the best!

Thanks  for all the comments and likes they are appreciated.any questions anybody has are more than welcome.

cheers 

Ivan

• Like 3

It's looking very nice indeed. I don't know if you ever saw this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWDi2cJddE

Could be worth a watch.

A couple of years ago it was a nice surprise to see a Stalwart filling up at the local petrol station. Glad I wasn't paying!

I have one of those 1/76th Stalwarts, minus the wheels though.

Pete

Oh dear a bit of a fight today! Side tie downs on this side,went to find the drop handles not anywhere to be found 🤔

out with the plastic card and scratch my own!

49007011971_202d9004c5_c_d.jpg

One down another to do.

Ivan

• Like 3

Thank you for the wonderful in process pictures and building issues/insights.  I have a few Aa kits in my stash including the Stalwart so your information is invaluable!  The thing I like best about AA assembly instructions is that they plenty of room for your imagination!  Keep up the progress and postings.

• Thanks 1

Good lord!   Did the driver really sit with his back to a Really Big Radiator?  Presumably the airflow was in through the cab and out into the load bed.  Must have been a mite chilly.  And a cab heater which pre-heats the air before entering the radiator seems counter-productive.