Piaggio P.180 Avanti - AModel 1/72

gengriz

This month's project has been the futuristic looking Piaggio Avanti of the Italian Navy (as seen at this year's Yeovilton Airshow), using the AModel kit.

wp54c91c15_05_06.jpg

As with all AModel kits, it needs a little care to complete, but captures the "Gerry Anderson" looks of the real thing well.  Indeed, I briefly thought about painting it white and  using a set of spare Spectrum decals instead of the kit ones!  The kit includes a comprehensive interior layout, but this is a little wasted due to the small and not entirely clear windows.

wp0d22437d_05_06.jpg

wp5329789d_05_06.jpg

wp8407129a_05_06.jpg

wp0c37daaf_05_06.jpg

... and the real thing at Yeovilton:

wpde0cd5be_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Wonderful work! For sure it's a unique and very attractively looking aircraft!

Fred, any hints on the kit construction? I have one in stash but sure there some hidden pitfalls in the way.

Dennis,

Much as you would expect from short run, so:

The interior is very comprehensive, but the parts very small, difficult to de-sprue without damage and extremely fiddly to assemble all the seats consistently. 

And you can't see them when its finished (aaaaaaaargh!) 

The sidewall/floor assembly sequence is suspect (I had several attempts before I was happy). 

Instrument panel needed a lot of fettling to get it to fit

Cabin windows are not a good fit and not very clear (fill the gaps and re-polish). 

Cockpit windows slightly wider than the fuselage, so needed a lot of fairing in (then lots of polishing to make them clear again).   

Undercarriage is very flimsy and without my reference pictures, I'm not sure I would have understood the instructions. 

Some parts are very thin and difficult to remove from the sprue without damaging

Engine nacelle fit to the wing was very poor with big gaps

Very small exhaust parts were damaged on removal from the sprue and difficult to assemble satisfactory 

Some parts rough and needed a lot of cleaning up

Wings, canards & tailplanes were butt jointed, so alignment is tricky  

Decals looked nice, but several split when they met water!

They forgot the tail antenna.

Painting instructions - based on my references, I'm not sure they chose the right grey.   Neither did I !

But that said, the fit of major parts was generally pretty good, despite the lack of locating pins.  Not a kit for a beginner, but definitely buildable!!! :)

FredT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gengriz said:

Dennis,

Much as you would expect from short run, so:

The interior is very comprehensive, but the parts very small, difficult to de-sprue without damage and extremely fiddly to assemble all the seats consistently. 

And you can't see them when its finished (aaaaaaaargh!) 

The sidewall/floor assembly sequence is suspect (I had several attempts before I was happy). 

Instrument panel needed a lot of fettling to get it to fit

Cabin windows are not a good fit and not very clear (fill the gaps and re-polish). 

Cockpit windows slightly wider than the fuselage, so needed a lot of fairing in (then lots of polishing to make them clear again).   

Undercarriage is very flimsy and without my reference pictures, I'm not sure I would have understood the instructions. 

Some parts are very thin and difficult to remove from the sprue without damaging

Engine nacelle fit to the wing was very poor with big gaps

Very small exhaust parts were damaged on removal from the sprue and difficult to assemble satisfactory 

Some parts rough and needed a lot of cleaning up

Wings, canards & tailplanes were butt jointed, so alignment is tricky  

Decals looked nice, but several split when they met water!

They forgot the tail antenna.

Painting instructions - based on my references, I'm not sure they chose the right grey.   Neither did I !

But that said, the fit of major parts was generally pretty good, despite the lack of locating pins.  Not a kit for a beginner, but definitely buildable!!! :)

FredT

Sounds like an Amodel kit then!

very nice work Fred. Did you use the Caracal decals?

9 hours ago, gengriz said:

FredT

Hi Fred, 

Sounds like nothing more challenging than standard short-run :) And good to know about cockpit window. For every Sword or AZ kit I assemble checking canopy against fuselage is step number one :) Amodel seems the same gang here.  

For decals I already got Caracal set as original decals are off the register unfortunately.

Edited by Dennis_C

Y4dSWqe.jpg

4dRLQMi.jpg

I know the struggle of the Amodel P180.  Here is mine with Caracal decals.  Well done, my man!

Edited by Ad-4N
pictures
  • Like 4

Superb job on that Amodel kit FredT - great build and excellent finish.....

I did mine two years ago........

spacer.png

any hints on the kit construction?

I would echo Fred's comments - typical Amodel kit that needs a little work - but as you can see, it makes into a nice model of an unusual type..

FWIW, by build WIP is here:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_avanti.html

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1