Zoukei Mura 1/32 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden 'Jack'

Stew Dapple

On 10/20/2019 at 4:06 AM, Stew Dapple said:

However if you wanted to have it more visible, one of the Zoukei Mura resin figure sets is of two ground crew standing on the wing and working on the engine, so you would have an excuse to leave the cowlings off...

You could depict them trying to fit that **** part that the **** modeller forgot to attach when the ***** instructions told him to!

You self-effacingly gave credit to the kit, rather than yourself, but it looks far too crisp to be simply a jumble of well-tooled parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Stew :) 

Have a good weekend and give my regards to the team!

Thanks Ced, will do :) 

40 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That's looking good, that good in fact that I might be tempted to buy another ZM kit, the Mustang IV looks quite tasty.

Cheers

Dennis

I know mate, did you see @pacificmustang's one? The one I keep referring to as a Mustang III? That kit's been calling to me ever since... 

26 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

You could depict them trying to fit that **** part that the **** modeller forgot to attach when the ***** instructions told him to!

You self-effacingly gave credit to the kit, rather than yourself, but it looks far too crisp to be simply a jumble of well-tooled parts.

Or trying to find why the engine won't start - I could tell them it's because part A10 pinged away and never turned up, but why spoil it for them? :D Actually there's so much stuff to fit inside that if I were a praying man, I'd be praying not only that those cowlings will fit on, but that the fuselage halves are going to fit together. However, I'm not a praying man :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, gingerbob said:

I did give a passing worry as to whether you've been test-fitting as you go...

Pray for me Bob, because I have taken a Panglossian approach and am working on the assumption that everything will turn out right :D 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Thom216 said:

Indeed, good job on the interior paint!

Thanks Thom, I'm rather pleased that by doing it all in the right sequence I didn't have to mask anything :D 

On 10/27/2019 at 9:05 PM, pacificmustang said:

Coming together nicely Stew

Regards

Bruce

Thank you very much Bruce, so far, so good... :D 

My trip into the wilds was a productive one, we got a lot of colours made up and quite a few are now back in stock or being packed up for a trip to Australia :) 

Unfortunately the dog has not been well since we got back, I don't know what the problem is (something to do with his stomach, I feel) so I have a trip to the vets booked for this afternoon, on the plus side it does mean an afternoon off work...

So I got the seatbelts fitted:

DSCN0852.jpg

I think they justified their expense; on my best painting day ever I could not have made the moulded-on seatbelts look that separate from the seat B) 

Next I'll get on with the instrument panel,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Very kind of you John, thanks; the vet was reassuring and expensive, 5 x anti-biotic pills, 3 x anti-spasmodic pills and a syringe of some sort of kaolin paste to attempt to squirt into his mouth, or, more likely on to his food, which must be fish and rice for the next few days. Didn't cost quite as much as the Zoukei Mura kit so I suppose I should be grateful, as indeed I am.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Wow Stew, great looking kit and build.

Back in the (late 60's or early 70's) day built the early Revell Raiden in 1/32, it was quite the kit in its day ... but time marches on and so does manufacturer quality, have a close to finish 1/32 stalled build Hasegawa Raiden too, also have built one of the Tamiya 1/48 ones ... I guess I'm a Raiden fan?

The Hasegawa Raiden boxing I got was quite good, came with a sort of Japanese language comic book of the aircraft in action, nice touch I thought ... the decals in the Hasegawa kit ... quite fragile I thought, patched them together though.

You are spot on about the engine detail not getting seen, fair play you did it anyway.

May have to consider this kit now Stew, even though 1/48 is now my focus scale for aircraft. Very impressed with your build and presentation and experience of the ZM kit, will be following this one for sure.

• Thanks 1

Nice belts Stew :) 

I hope Jack’s feeling better soon and that you don’t have to have another vet visit - expensive these canine friends aren’t they?

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:50 PM, One 48 said:

The Hasegawa Raiden boxing I got was quite good, came with a sort of Japanese language comic book of the aircraft in action, nice touch I thought ... the decals in the Hasegawa kit ... quite fragile I thought, patched them together though.

Thanks :) - I built the Hasegawa 1/32 kit last year, and it is a very nice model (different boxing to yours though, by the description, I don't recall a comic in my kit) which results in a very good representation of a J2M3 ... but I have to say the detail in this kit knocks the Hasegawa kit into a cocked hat. Obviously I need to wait and see how it turns out, but so far I have no regrets about buying this one.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:12 PM, CedB said:

Nice belts Stew :) 

I hope Jack’s feeling better soon and that you don’t have to have another vet visit - expensive these canine friends aren’t they?

Thanks Ced; I think he's feeling better, he's certainly whinging less though I suspect that might be because the anti-biotics have been making him sleepy; at least as a result of that I got a couple of decent-ish night's sleep. Yes, a trip to the vets - even though my vets are very good and I never feel they are adding anything on or doing anything unneccesary - is always expensive, but in fairness if someone had asked me beforehand would I pay that amount of money to have my dog feel better, of course I would have gratefully forked it over.

I applied the instrument decal to the back of the clear instrument panel part - if you find yourself in this position and are tempted to do the same I recommend you study the topography of the back of the instrument panel part as it is not flat but variously faceted and angled, then cut the instrument decal into sections and apply these individually. Then I attached the IP to its mounting frame:

DSCN0855.jpg

After that I attached the side-panel of the IP and did the detail painting - I'm very pleased with how it turned out:

DSCN0860.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some more of the cockpit details painted today.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 16

Thanks very much gentlemen, I think using the IP decal on the clear part is probably the best way to go, there's no way the decal would have settled convincingly over the raised detail on the front side and applying it to the back gives more depth to the dials than you would get with an etched IP set, however nicely printed.

I painted up most of the floor detail as per the kit pictures; the joystick still needs painted and the oxygen bottles at the rear of the left console need a touch-up but it is essentially finished:

DSCN0861.jpg

I also fitted the seat and headrest to the rear bulkhead:

DSCN0864.jpg

Unfortunately Jack has still not recovered from whatever it is that is ailing him, and tomorrow I am trekking south with Jamie to Telford, I'll be off up to Aberdeenshire shortly and leaving Jack in the care of my folks in the hope that spending a long weekend with their three bitches (2 x Jack Russels and a Patterdale Terrier) will provide the tonic for him that it usually does... :fingerscrossed:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay gentlemen, as is customary I had a fallow period after Telford and didn't get much of anything done.

The faithless hound, I am very pleased to report, is restored to his former vigour, I must admit I had been very worried for his prospects during the couple of weeks each side of Telford; he lost ten per cent of his body weight in a fortnight at one point but fortunately he was a fat git to start with, and now seems intent on redoubling his weight to make up for lost time.

I got the components together for the sidewalls and painted them their basic colours:

DSCN0870.jpg

... and then did the detail painting and assembly:

DSCN0872.jpg

In his Raiden Colour Guide Nick Millman refers to some of the pre-assembled cockpit components being painted in a darker, glossier green than the main cockpit, a colour he advised matches reasonably closely to an FS number that is US Field Green. I painted the radio set, the radio selector panel and the switch box in another green that reasonably closely resembled US Field Green (since I do not have the actual colour in my paint stash) and then painted some other parts in two other greens... well - what I'm trying to break gently to you is that I just painted some parts in different greens to give a little variety in the cockpit, some of which was possibly partly justifiable and some of which was certainly not. I am, however, reasonably sure that I will never have to revisit this particular confession once the fuselage is closed and the interior becomes invisible anyway :) 

I think that is pretty much the bulk of the interior parts completed, next, I think, is to stick them all together before joining the fuselage halves...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Good to hear that you four legged friend is recovered it's certainly a big worry when they are ill, and it's nice to see that the build goes on, I will be taking notes (again)

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful looking innards Stew and great news about the pooch. My little idiot is now 11 and really getting grey around the muzzle.....much like his owner

George

• Thanks 1