Zoukei Mura 1/32 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden 'Jack'

Stew Dapple

I got the other engine parts primed:

DSCN0729.jpg

There are actually quite a lot of parts there, but I did as much assembly before painting as I could. The water pump unit was fitted to the back of the engine and painted to match:

DSCN0730.jpg

... the carburettor intake and engine mount were painted in metallic colours, and the plate to which  the cooling gills attach to was painted in the exterior green on its forward side:

DSCN0732.jpg

That still needs a bit of work as the mounting collar in the middle needs to be silver, and perhaps the actuators for the cooling gills too. Here I did deviate again from the painting instructions which advise that the reverse face of this part should be painted the same interior green as the cockpit - this didn't feel right to me; I don't want to say that the instructions are wrong as I have no idea, and if you build one of these then what you do is up to you, but from my limited experience of building model aircraft I have found that the cockpit colour is generally only used in the cockpit and other internal areas are painted with primer or some anti-corrosive that is more often than not a different colour to the cockpit interior - in any case, I painted mine in Alclad Airframe Aluminium:

DSCN0734.jpg

I also painted the magnetos on the sprue as they are a difficult shape to hold and spray:

DSCN0736.jpg

Finally I painted the exhaust outlets in Vallejo Metal Color Exhaust Manifold:

DSCN0737.jpg

I regret to report the loss of part A10 which should attach to the back of the engine. I have no idea what it represents, it is a small well-moulded part approximately 3mm by 2mm and I can confirm that it is capable of achieving a surprising velocity on exit from the tips of a set of tweezers. I believe I heard it land on the carpet to my left side but I was not able to determine at what distance and several thorough searches have not revealed its resting place :fraidnot:

That's where I am, I think the next step is fitting all those exhaust pipes to the main engine assembly :blink2:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Quite the intricate array of parts.

As for the missing piece, it probably went fast enough to breach the dimensional barrier between our world and the nirvana of the next. I know I have lost a lot of parts to that dimension...

• Like 3

This is looking good, those parts certainly look very well molded, and as for the missing part it's fatal to trust tweezers, I know this and still do it as well. You will probably find the part when the model is finished.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, Thom216 said:

... As for the missing piece, it probably went fast enough to breach the dimensional barrier between our world and the nirvana of the next. I know I have lost a lot of parts to that dimension...

We can only hope that they find some sort of contentment there :D 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, spitfire said:

This is looking good, those parts certainly look very well molded, and as for the missing part it's fatal to trust tweezers, I know this and still do it as well. You will probably find the part when the model is finished.

Thanks Dennis, yes, you are right and it is doubly fatal to try to unscrew the lid of the superglue bottle lid with the same hand that is holding the part in the tweezers while the other hand holds the superglue bottle. I have learned this the hard way, as no doubt you have too, and I even felt a twinge of fear as I started doing it, but brushed it aside. So it could be argued that I haven't actually learned it at all :D 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:45 AM, pacificmustang said:

Must.   Resist.   Buying.   One.....

You're not helping Stew😉

Bruce

Turnabout is fair play Bruce, if I see one of the Z-M Mustang IIIs at Telford within my price range it is on borrowed time :lol: 

This arrived in the post, the only bit of aftermarket that I intend using:

DSCN0747.jpg

These harness sets by Radu Brinzan in Eire and HGW in Czechia can be fiddly to put together but the worst thing about them is once you have successfully used them once you really won't want to go back to etched metal harness. The kit provides optional seat parts with moulded-on harness and they are nicely done too, and yet here we are.

At this point I want to point out that I don't deserve this kit, and if it should turn out well it will be down to good design and no fault of mine. The next step should have been for me to fit the exhaust outlets; instead... well I'll go through it in order. I painted the 'collar' of the backplate and the cowling-gill actuators silver:

DSCN0739.jpg

.... and test-fitted it. The test-fit was so good that I immediately glued it in place:

DSCN0741.jpg

... and fitted the carburettor intake:

DSCN0743.jpg

... and the intake grille:

DSCN0748.jpg

This last picture was taken about the same time that I thought "Oh, I didn't fit the exhausts" :huh:

I can confirm, fortunately, that the kit is forgiving enough for you to do this afterwards, albeit less easily than it would have been were it done in the intended sequence:

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

So I got away with it, but to be honest if this is the level of competence that I am bringing to the process it does not bode terribly well, I am the one bringing a stick of celery to a knife fight and I need to pay a bit more attention or I will have no-one to blame but myself if it goes pear-shaped. Some of the deviations from the instructions have been logical, to get a bunch of parts painted up at once and reduce airbrush cleaning for example, but that one was pure innattention. Anyway, hopefully I have done my worst now and will be better behaved in future :D 

The next step, and the last parts of the main engine section, is to fit the cowling-gills and the mounting cradle... after that we go onto the next section which is the engine firewall, fuel and oil tanks and cockpit area...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I defy any modeller to claim, with a straight face, that they've never been so taken by a test-fit that they omitted vital intervening steps in their haste to glue it. Solidarity, Stew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Aha, caught you! Here you are doing another 1/32 (too big) Japanese (not my theme) build. 

Why am I following?

Well obviously I’m a mate BUT your comment about Jack dragging you to the pub has set off my ‘cause for concern’ alert...

If you have been effected by this thread help is available at get-over-yourself.com. 

Oh, nice work Stew, as usual :) 

• Thanks 1

Im with you brother.  I got caught up glueing the wings together on the mustang, then looked at the instructions and realised I had failed to glue the landing light in.  What possessed me to think I could glue parts together willy-nilly - on a ZM kit, no less -  without consulting the instructions, I still have no idea🤨

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

I defy any modeller to claim, with a straight face, that they've never been so taken by a test-fit that they omitted vital intervening steps in their haste to glue it. Solidarity, Stew.

15 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Also must humbly admit to gluing pieces together in jovial haste - and missing a crucial part for the in-between space.:wtf:

The recovery however is the thing!:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Im with you brother.  I got caught up glueing the wings together on the mustang, then looked at the instructions and realised I had failed to glue the landing light in.  What possessed me to think I could glue parts together willy-nilly - on a ZM kit, no less -  without consulting the instructions, I still have no idea🤨

Thank you for standing with me gentlemen, I have no idea why the reassurance that other modellers can be just as careless as I can gives me a warm feeling, but it does :D 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Aha, caught you! Here you are doing another 1/32 (too big) Japanese (not my theme) build. 

Why am I following?

Well obviously I’m a mate BUT your comment about Jack dragging you to the pub has set off my ‘cause for concern’ alert...

If you have been effected by this thread help is available at get-over-yourself.com. 

Oh, nice work Stew, as usual :) 

Cedders! Nice to see you mate :) Jack doesn't have an alcohol problem, he really does only go to the pub to be sociable. As it happened he was in luck; his (and my) two favourite barmaids were on duty and were most pleased to see him :lol:

I had the foresight to paint the inside of the cooling gills Alumium when I was doing the other engine parts, but for some reason neglected to paint the outsides in D2 Green Black when I was painting the internal bit earlier, however I got this done:

DSCN0759.jpg

... and attached the gills to the main engine unit:

DSCN0761.jpg

The engine mounting cradle has an extra bit of sprue on the inside which is best left for strength and stability until it is time to fit it:

DSCN0762.jpg

It's that sort of t-shaped bit in the middle. I cut that off and fitted the cradle, which brings section 3.1 of the instructions to a close:

DSCN0765.jpg

So while the engine is a bit fiddly I haven't experienced anything that would have caused a problem for the average modeller (even one inclined to make the schoolboy errors that I did); the fit of parts has been really... nice, is probably the best word, it is very satisfying to test fit the parts and to find them instantly clicking into the right place, even the eight little cooling gill actuators to the connecting parts on the inside of the cooling gills, without needing to try repeatedly until it does work.

Next up is section 3.2 of the instructions which deals with the cockpit from the engine firewall to the radio decking behind the pilot. Before I start on that however I will be working on this multi-media kit:

DSCN0763.jpg

The RB Productions seatbelt set; hopefully it won't take too long :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I bet the barmaids were pleased to see you too Stew

Haha, I know better than to try to compete in a popularity contest with Jack :D but yes, it was nice to catch up.

The IJN seat harness was a curious affair; a pair of lap-straps and a diagonal shoulder belt. The RB set went together with no difficulties beyond the usual being rather fiddly and generally making you realise how much easier life would be with an extra set of hands :lol: 

DSCN0768.jpg

Anyway those will be ready now when I get round to the pilot's seat.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Beautiful work going on here. Those seatbelts are astonishing!

A bit of a heratical thought here, but it's nagging me... That engine is a real stunner, a kit in its own right really. Given the tiny amount of it showing on a cowled up finished model, would it be worth displaying the engine alongside the plane, and building enough of the front of an engine in situ to hold the prop up?

I'll get me coat...

Tony.

• Thanks 1

Radu's seat belts are magic, I used the same ones on my Hayate build and at first I was confused as to how they worked but figured it out in the end. Putting together the seat belts was where I was up to on my Hasegawa Raiden when my modelling energy disappeared, it was nothing to do with the belts as I have used them on my last 4 builds.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, TonyW said:

A bit of a heratical thought here, but it's nagging me... That engine is a real stunner, a kit in its own right really. Given the tiny amount of it showing on a cowled up finished model, would it be worth displaying the engine alongside the plane, and building enough of the front of an engine in situ to hold the prop up?

Thanks Tony :) I think the engine couldn't really be displayed separately; it would presumably not be too difficult to scratch some sort of prop shaft to hang the fan and propeller from, which is about all you would see from the front, but almost everything on the engine behind the prop shaft connects to something else to hold it all together and at the back end the cooling gills and exhausts etc. will all be visible so would have to be removed from the engine, leaving you with basically just two sets of very nicely moulded cylinder banks and the prop shaft and its extension, not really as impressive as the whole engine together. However if you wanted to have it more visible, one of the Zoukei Mura resin figure sets is of two ground crew standing on the wing and working on the engine, so you would have an excuse to leave the cowlings off...

On 10/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, spitfire said:

Radu's seat belts are magic, I used the same ones on my Hayate build and at first I was confused as to how they worked but figured it out in the end

Agreed Dennis, I find it a bit of a faff putting them together (not just the RB ones but the HGW and Tetra Model Works ones as well) but the feeling of achievement when you have done it, and the end result, definitely makes it worth it :) 

On 10/14/2019 at 6:36 AM, Biggles87 said:

Great stuff, especially the belts. I’ve had two go’s at RB belts so far and not completed one to my satisfaction.

Thank you John, I do recommend good magnification if your eyes need it (as mine do these days) - I don't know if it would help in your case but I find it useful to use two pair of tweezers, one to hold the buckle and one to hold the strap, rather than trying to manipulate the parts with my fingers - I don't particularly suffer from 'fat fingers' as such, but when you get down to parts of the size involved, anyone's fingers are going to seem somewhat sausage-ey :) 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:21 PM, Thom216 said:

Seeing those belts, my meat-hooks are already twitching to bend something too far out of shape.

I'm just waiting for my moment :lol:

So I was about to start the cockpit area as per the instructions:

DSCN0770.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't just cover the cockpit, the firewall, fuel and methanol tanks, the rear decking and the area under the cockpit floor with its associated compressed air/oxygen tanks and pipework are all included. I've been skittering round the instructions a bit, as I intend to make up as many sub-assemblies as possible to minimise on airbrushing (and airbrush cleaning) sessions.

Two seats are provided, one with a moulded on harness; this is useful even if you intend to use aftermarket harness as it shows the connection points for the shoulder- and lap-straps:

DSCN0774.jpg

The seat with the straps moulded on also has a cushion, I'm not sure if this is appropriate as Imperial Japanese Navy fighter pilots used seat-pack parachutes the same as most of the other air forces during World War Two, but I can't say for certain that it isn't accurate. The strapless seat doesn't have a cushion fitted so it's not a problem that I will have to mull over anyway :D:

DSCN0775.jpg

The seat mount and adjustment lever fit to the rear bulkhead, it looks a bit complex in the instructions but looking at the different pictures and test-fitting shows it to be straightforward enough:

DSCN0777.jpg

The cockpit floor with the rudder pedals, side console and oxygen bottles test fitted. I'm still working on how much of this I can glue together before painting - there are a multitude of levers and knobs to be fitted - and what I can just click or Blu-tack in place to remove after spraying the main cockpit colour to make the detail painting easier:

DSCN0780.jpg

The underside of the cockpit floor is fully detailed as well.

This is the main fuel tank, firewall and Methanol tank - I sprayed the fuel tank earlier, it needs to have a metal strap and the filler caps painted yet:

DSCN0784.jpg

I decided to use the clear instrument panel and attach the decal of the dials to the rear face of it. I filled the instrument glass faces with masking fluid:

DSCN0786.jpg

... and these are the parts that make up the rear decking - before:

DSCN0782.jpg

... and after:

DSCN0789.jpg 

I can click the radio in place for spraying and remove it to paint the details after. That bit sticking out underneath is the air-vent for the cockpit, the underside of the decking is detailed as well :D 

Anyway that's where I am, not much to show for what should have been a week's work but I tend to be a bit worn out in the evenings and didn't really put the hours in. Hopefully I'll get a bit more done today but it will be mostly de-spruing levers and knobs and suchlike :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

The Jack may actually be my favorite Japanese A/C for some strange reason.  Your work so far -- and the kit -- is going to make this fun to watch! 

I'm a strict 1/72 builder (mostly out of tradition and space considerations), so the unbelievable level of detail has me drooling.  (and stirring up heretical thoughts of breaking one of my dad's '70's era 1/32 Revell kits out of my closet to put on my bench!). 

• Like 1

That’s a pretty comprehensive cockpit, now all you have to do is paint it!

It reminds me of the Tamiya 1/32 Zero, which I’ve had for over 20 years and still havn’t  started, so although it’s tempting I doubt that I will buy one of these, I’ll watch yours instead.

John

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents, I was very much a committed 1/72 builder too, I've no idea what happened...

Anyway I had the day off work yesterday preparatory to a trip up to the wilds of Aberdeen to see my folks and spend a couple of days tinning up paint with Jamie and Gill at Sovereign Hobbies who are, for that part of the world, fairly close neighbours of my parents :) I have leave to catch the train in about 15 minutes so forgive me my brevity this morning please...

I got the relevant parts primed in nearly-black:

DSCN0791.jpg

Here's the topside of the cockpit floor:

DSCN0792.jpg

... and the underside; there's still more bits to be fitted to both:

DSCN0795.jpg

Then I painted the underfloor, fuel tank bulkhead and back parts Alclad Airframe Aluminium:

DSCN0798.jpg

... and the cockpit parts interior green:

DSCN0799.jpg

Finally I scraped the masking fluid off the IP dials with a cocktail stick:

DSCN0802.jpg

Not a very good pic, and still needs a bit of a tidy, sorry... anyway I'll be back next week and hopefully make a bit more progress then...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5